Binge Eating and the Day After

Options
So a friend of mine was going through some tough times. I took him out for dinner. We ate poorly (but not nearly as poorly as I would have 3 months ago) and drank quite a bit of beer. I think I was about 1500 calories over my daily limit. Now these events are rare, so I try not to beat myself up about it, but here's my question.

The next day I was really REALLY good. I ate well and hit the gym hard. At the end of the day I was 1300 calories UNDER my limit. Considering the previous days antics, should these things kind of even out or should I really be trying to consume all my calories for the day, regardless of the previous day? Is a calorie deficit that large problematic in this situation? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Jeff

Replies

• cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We all have days like that I think. I wouldnt worrie about it too much. Its over, as long as you are back on track that is all that matters
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    no. you need to eat your exercise calories.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    If I do that I don't go too much under my calories. Maybe 200. I drink LOTS of water and cut my sodium in half. That has worked for me so far!
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    Personally I would eat less the next day and not eat back all of my exercise calories, but still some of time. I would also drink LOTS of water
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Based on my previous 'Weight Watcher" plan habits that give you daily goals but also include additional weekly points that can be spent all at once or a little at a time, I tend to focus more on my WEEKLY totals rather than DAILY totals.

Your body won't go into "starvation mode" after one day-- it's sustained habits that eventually your body cause your body to readjust to patterns of food intake.

So if I go over one day, I make up the next day--just like you did.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Are we talking 1300 below your recommended daily allowance or is this after exercise? You should be netting as a man I believe at least 1500 calories a day (after exercise) so I would not go below that. However, a day over calories and then a day under calories will all even out in the end. After all, you are looking for a 3500 weekly deficit for a pound of weight loss, it can be split up in many different ways over the course of a week. As long as you and your body are feeling OK, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just don't make a habit of it.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As a man, you should eat at least 1200 calories per day, but you could limit yourself to just that and exercise as much as you want (within reason), resulting in a net calorie intake of a few hundred calories even.

The important thing is to make sure you are giving your body enough calories to fuel your body for these exercises, and that you are getting enough nutrients in. Your body will be just fine if it has to support your base metabolic function by drawing calories mostly from fat, but aerobic, and even more so, anaerobic activity requires more than just fat.

If you choose this path, I would eat the right things at the right times to make it count.
  • bobbidigital
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've incorporated some of them into my weight loss plan. I love this site! It's like an army of nutritional advisors :-) Thanks again!!
  • michaelaam18
    Options
    I wouldn't quite call anyone a nutritional advisor, as far as I'm aware, no one here (or not many people anyway) are qualified to give you sound advice as to what does and doesn't work and what is and isn't healthy. People are just giving you advice based on what worked for them. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, but you have to take this advice with a grain of salt.