Pets and weight loss

Options
I have been working out now for the past 3 1/2 months and losing weight. I have noticed that my once 18 lb cat has also been loosing weight. He is now down to about 15 or 16 lbs. I haven't weight him yet but he is definitely slimming down.

Anyone else notice this behavior in their pets?

Replies

• kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    LOL well my dog is on a diet too because the vet keeps yelling at me for her being overweight... so I'm hoping she's slimming down! The long walks definitely help and I think she looks much healthier (then again I've always been in denial that she's THAT overweight).. Is your cat just slimming down in general? That's pretty cool - my puggle has to work for her weight loss... lol
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    both of my cats seem to be a bit leaner! but i think some of that has to do with me not feeding them quite as much as my mother did! lol she'd leave a big ol' bowl of dry food out for them to munch on all day, which really isn't good for them! then again, it could be a household thing...one person's weight loss trickles on down. :laugh:
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    LOL well my dog is on a diet too because the vet keeps yelling at me for her being overweight... so I'm hoping she's slimming down! The long walks definitely help and I think she looks much healthier (then again I've always been in denial that she's THAT overweight).. Is your cat just slimming down in general? That's pretty cool - my puggle has to work for her weight loss... lol

GAH! My puggle could stand to lose 3-4 pounds, too! Hopefully she will, now that she gets long walks almost every day...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been working out now for the past 3 1/2 months and losing weight. I have noticed that my once 18 lb cat has also been loosing weight. He is now down to about 15 or 16 lbs. I haven't weight him yet but he is definitely slimming down.

Anyone else notice this behavior in their pets?

Unless you've cut back his food, he needs to see a vet. Hyperthyroidism is VERY common in cats and unexpected weight loss is one of the signs. Dental issues can also cause weight loss due to discomfort causing reluctance to eat. So please check this out with your vet!

My dog wasn't heavy to begin with, but she's getting some longer walks. Mostly, she's excited by all the cooking that now goes on in my house! And she turned out to be just crazy about strawberries, so i usually give her one when I make a smoothie. ;)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    For the folks who have chubby dogs:

Their weight loss is the same as ours. It's mainly dependent on diet. Their food should be carefully measured, just as we carefully measure our own now.

Here's a great chart that can help you to determine whether your dog is the right weight or a little over or under: http://www.purina.com/dog/weight-and-exercise/bodycondition.aspx

Don't let the Purina name put you off--this is basically the same way that your vet determines your dog's body condition!
  • Jassper
    Jassper Posts: 25
    Options
    .. Is your cat just slimming down in general? That's pretty cool - my puggle has to work for her weight loss... lol

Nothing different for him, he eats the same thing he always have. We have 3 cats total and the other 2 seem to be the same although they aren't really over weight to begin with.
  • Jassper
    Jassper Posts: 25
    Options
    So please check this out with your vet!

He was just at the vet about a month ago. The Vet was pleased with his weight loss. Then he was 16.5 but I will keep an eye on it. I will weigh him tonight and see where he is at now as I am betting he is down to 15 now.

EDIT
    3lb loss in 3 months Don't seem that alarming is it?
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    So please check this out with your vet!

He was just at the vet about a month ago. The Vet was pleased with his weight loss. Then he was 16.5 but I will keep an eye on it. I will weigh him tonight and see where he is at now as I am betting he is down to 15 now.

EDIT
    3lb loss in 3 months Don't seem that alarming is it?

My vet told me for my puggle that a healthy loss is 1 lb per month. Not sure if this goes for cats and my puggle is 39 lbs (should be 32 lbs according to the vet)..