Strength Training, where do I began?

Options
Ok, so I want to get a good routine for strength training, currently I am doing 45 min on the treadmill and 15 on the bike. I actually love weights, should I do upper body one day and lower the next, there are so many machines that I'm confused, like which ones do I do, how many rep/sets?

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump... I would like to know as well
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Well the best thing would be to meet with a trainer if one is available at your gym. You don't have to keep seeing them but just have them give you a basic routine to do. Or subscribe to SHAPE magazine and you'll get plenty of workouts to do at home or in the gym.

We could all probably tell you workouts to do but if you are guided with the proper form, then it might be useless. But to start, pick up some dumbbells and do some shoulder presses, bicep curls, and tricep kickbacks.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? If so ask for a getting started session. If you can afford it, I highly recommend a personal trainer. They will set up routines for you, teach proper form. If not done properly you could hurt yourself. I thought my personal trainer was worth her weight in gold. She started me out easy and worked our way up from there.

Also go to the library, and get some books out on the subject. I know quite a few people that follow "new rules for weight lifting for women" It explains the science behind it, proper nutrition, and proper form. It also has a few routines to follow as well.
  • KirstyLea3
    Options
    Do you use a gym?? If so the staff there should be very helpful in advising what machines etc would be best for you. My local gym staff are amazing, they are always checking how im doing and talking me through new machines etc as time goes on to stop me getting bord.

Generally for women you should be aiming for more reps of a lighter weight for toning, so about 12-15 reps, twice on each chosen machine, lifting a weight which seams OK for the first few reps but then feels quite hard to push out those last few reps.

Its always worth asking the professionals as some of the machines will build muscles in the neck etc...places women don't really want muscles, if used in a certain way.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    That's really a tough question. It depends on your goals and how much time/energy you be able to dedicate towards training.

There are innumerable methods to weight training. Personally, I keep mine as simple as possible by sticking to lifts that work the largest muscle groups possible.

My routine is based around dead lifts, squats, and pull ups. I feel these are the most practical exercises, which work the largest muscle groups. And I don't have to be in the gym long.

I do other lifts, but only for bragging rights.