Today is Day #2

Options
Today is my second day using myfitnesspal.com I'm not going to lie - it is a struggle to see how many calories I ate yesterday. I'm hoping that in using this program it will help me loose weight and make the life change to healthier eating, not only for myself but for my family as well.

A couple questions, I need some help in the exercise area - what are some things that you all enjoy that burns calories?

I'm wanting to run but don't know where to start - how did you get started? Or how are you going to start?

Looking forward to some input! Thanks!
~Kim

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Cleaning burns calories on MFP.. Not that I enjoy it lol ;)
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    the the couch to 5k program. i am on week two of it and am enjoying it a lot. there is an iphone app for it or you can go to the website and print out the information: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

you have already done the hardest part when you decided to start to working out.. now its the doing! you can do it!
  • Robyn1733
    Robyn1733 Posts: 58
    Options
    check out couch to 5k. it has a great program on there to get you running
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    Options
    The calorie counter is great! I don't want to eat something that I am going to have to log that everyone is going to get to see!!! It helps me to lose weight as well! It would be easy to eat something and not log it, but when it comes to my weigh day, I don't want to have to answer to myself as to why I didn't lose any weight!

I walk on my treadmill, or walk outside. I do some jogging, and yes, cleaning burns calories. I can honestly say my house and yard have never been cleaner!!! I can't wait for my grass to start growing so I can mow it to, that burns a ton of calories!!

Good Luck!
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi kim - welcome to mfp. i use work out dvd's, aerobic step and walk. the more I work out, the more I like it. i'll have to work up to running, because of the impact on my knees.
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I walk about 4-5 days/week and that has worked for me. My knees couldnt take running at my starting weight, I hope to get there eventually. I started out with a 30-40 minute brisk walk which burned about 300 calories for me. Now I walk about 65 minutes=3.7 miles=490 calories burned. I find that I actually look forward to these walks, catching up on my podcast listening. I figure I have about another 10 lbs to lose before I can start jogging but the walking was a good start for me. Good luck!
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim,

First of Welcome! And Congratulations for making it through Day 1 :)

I started using myfitnesspal in December. It is hard the first few days to realize what you have been eating and how many calories you take in without even realizing it. Over time, it does get easier, and you start to find substitutes for your higher calorie choices. And some days are better than others.

For me, the keys for success are:
    1) Water, Water, Water...I find that I need to have at least 6 glasses a day.
    2) Track everything at first...even the small nibbles of something...A lot of my gains are nibbles here and nibbles there. If you have the ability to use this as an app on a smartphone, do so...it makes it so convenient.
    3) Move everyday...even if it's just cleaning one room in your house, it's movement. For me, I try to do 4-5 scheduled 30-45 cardio sessions a week, and I switch it up for what I'm in the mood for. Some days it's a Tae Bo DVD, some days it's a bike ride with my kids, some days it's a dance/aerobic routine (I love Cardioke by Billy Blanks Jr), and some days it's the elliptical machine at the gym. I also try to do one weight session a week for 45 minutes.

Good luck on your journey - and if you'd like ongoing encouragement, please feel free to "friend" me.

Kendra

2895807.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    walking burns cals
    and if you have no diabilities its pretty easy !!
    when i started running i really did more walking!! time yourself aswell

but to start running a good plan is to do 1min jog 1min walk and so on!!

you can burn yourself out if you do to much to quick!!
  • hjones26
    hjones26 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have an Iphone. there is an app on Itunes that is great I used it once before and it burn a lot of Cal. if done right I is called Nike Trainer. I love the app, Plus its free so you can't go wrong with it. This Is my first day using myfitnesspal and I hoping it work as well. So good luck with everything.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Congrats and I feel your pain. My first day tracking I was over 1800 calories OVER my goal. Wake-up call!

As for exercise, find something you enjoy. It's actually NOT the primary weight-loss medium, but it helps in your overall "feeling good" nature.

For instance, I have lost 24 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I've been running now for 9 weeks (3 of these weeks were pre-MFP for me). I saw no weight loss in the first three weeks, but that said, I have burnt 13,251 calories running and walking to date. That equates to about 3.8 pounds. That means that the other 21.2 pounds are simply from watching what I eat.

Good luck, and you ARE in the right place!