Weight Loss Surgery

Options

Replies

• TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I really dislike the condescending tone that accompanies the remarks like " I lost 280 lbs and you can too if you put your mind to it"
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I really dislike the condescending tone that accompanies the remarks like " I lost 280 lbs and you can too if you put your mind to it"

Can we add disliking avoiding the poster's original question to the list? :-)
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    wow sounds like a family ready to begin their lives .. Congrats

And marci - how many vitamins do you have to take?? how is it working out for you?

This is great help thanks dolls

A good Multiple (one with minerals too, Not some crap like Flintsones) twice a day- 1 in morning and 1 in afternoon/evening

2000mg of Vitamin C- one in am ,one along with my iron (for better absorption)

Iron (ferrous fumerate) I'm anemic still to this day, don't take ferrous sulfate, the most common one. Horrible side effects. nausea and constipation.

Vitamin B-12 sublingual (I take the 5000mcg one, so I don't have to do it every day. I take it 3 days a week. If you take the 1000mcg one, it would probably be every day.

Vitamin B complex 100- one per day

1500 mg of calcium- in pm- I use calcium citrate, not carbonate, I won't absorb it)

A good mineral tablet (We need minerals too, cause of how much I'm bypassed) I take Total Mins. Good product. 1 in am

2000mg of Vitamin D (dry in capsule not in oil, I won't absorb it)

Omega 3 fish oil- 1 in am (cause I can't eat enough to get all my omega's in)

Now, let me tell you this. Everyone takes vitamins for life, but....I go by my lab test results. I get my blood drawn twice a year, still to this day. What I'm deficient in , you may NOT be. Go by your labs. Get them done every six months, when you get to be almost 7 years out, like me. In the beginning, your doc will order them more often. But get them done. Thats the only way you can see what needs to tweaked a little. I know people that haven't had labs done in years and to me thats stupid. You're just asking for trouble! I have a "new Lexus interior" and I will forever be a gastric bypass patient. If I was to slack off and not take my vitamins twice a day, thats when WLS patients, start running into trouble. So thats about it, in a nutshell. They sell little vitamin baggies at Vitamin Shoppe and I fill up two bags every day. One for am and one for pm. Works for me! You get used it. No big deal to me!
  • marci355
    Options
    Wed 03/23/11 02:55 PM
    QUOTE:

I guess my Question is why are you even thinking of those Very Dangerious surgeries?

Hmmmm.......Tell me now....how dangerous is high blood pressure, heart problems, strokes, joint problems, knee surgeries, diabetes, sleep apnea.....the list goes on and on!!! Have you ever been 100 lbs overweight? Yes, one can lose it the old fashioned way, but.... the chances of a person maintaining it for life, hovers around 4 to 5%. Known medical fact. Period. Try on a 100 to 150 lb "fat suit" and walk around for just one day, and you'll see real quick why some of us have gone the surgery route. Yes, we have to eat right. Yes, we have to exercise, but if a person really truly wants to change and has tried everything else, why not surgery? It is very much an individual decision. Thats why I never discuss it unless prompted. I would never suggest ANY surgery to anyone, unless asked. ANY surgery can be dangerous. I lost a lot of weight many times in my life. Did I ever maintain it? No. I guess I was never in that very lucky 5 % group.
    Soooo....as the old saying goes....until you've walked a day in our shoes.....

ten years ago I shed 130 lbs and did it on my own,and have kept all but 20lbs off.I think before you choose to do it dig deep in your heart of hearts and figure out why you weigh what you weigh and where in your life do you need to make changes to achive your goals.For me I was very unhappy and ate my way through my 13year marriage.I have to imagine there is a bigger picture here for you.

How nice for you. You were in the small 5% bracket. Most of us aren't. Most of us have lost over 100lbs. many times in our lives and once we tried to be"normal" we gained it back. Like I said, you are making blanket statements, over something that is NOT the norm for most folks. Nuff said.
  • marci355
    Options
    Oh and Jewelzz....Opening up a new account and changing your avatar, to reply to me, gives you zero credibility. Just because you were in the lucky 5% bracket, just remember one thing, the other 95% of us, are/were still struggling! Different strokes for different folks! And two thumbs up for the "condescending tone" remark from someone else. Can't you just be supportive to people, instead wagging your finger? What works for one person, will NOT work for everybody. Jeez Louise!!!! Give me a break!!!!
  • marci355
    Options
    BUMP!!! :wink:
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Choosing which surgery (if any) is right for you is very personal choice. I was not familiar with VSG at the time....Lapand, RNY or the DS were the 3 I knew of and had discussed with my surgeon.

For me I did not want Lapband....I know myself too well and would make "adjustments" or not fill when I should. I was nearly 400 pounds...397 at my highest. I needed drastic meassures. I was dying anyway. The risk of surgery was minimal considering the casket of a bdy Iwas living in. I was that desperate. i was willing to give up my life if it meant I had a chance at one.

(Note: My mother also had gastric bypass in 2001 and died 3 weeks later from complications - i.e. blood clots in her lungs from not being able to get around very soon after surgery. Pulmonary embolism is a risk of ANY surgery...hell, even the fittest of peeps have had them...look at Sherena Williams most recently suffered from it! But that is not to scare the crap out of you but to show you how very desperate I had become.)

And now at the age of 39 I feel great and recently had my first baby...that would not have been possible 4 years ago!
  • marci355
    Options
    Choosing which surgery (if any) is right for you is very personal choice. I was not familiar with VSG at the time....Lapand, RNY or the DS were the 3 I knew of and had discussed with my surgeon.

For me I did not want Lapband....I know myself too well and would make "adjustments" or not fill when I should. I was nearly 400 pounds...397 at my highest. I needed drastic meassures. I was dying anyway. The risk of surgery was minimal considering the casket of a bdy Iwas living in. I was that desperate. i was willing to give up my life if it meant I had a chance at one.

(Note: My mother also had gastric bypass in 2001 and died 3 weeks later from complications - i.e. blood clots in her lungs from not being able to get around very soon after surgery. Pulmonary embolism is a risk of ANY surgery...hell, even the fittest of peeps have had them...look at Sherena Williams most recently suffered from it! But that is not to scare the crap out of you but to show you how very desperate I had become.)

And now at the age of 39 I feel great and recently had my first baby...that would not have been possible 4 years ago!

Congrats on that new baby!!! I bet she's a doll!!! I LOVE new baby smell......Have fun with her, aren't they great?? I have grandbabies, I love to spoil. Even better now, I can send them home to their Mommy!
  • DKennedy1
    Options
    I had RNY 7 months ago today (happy surgianniversary to me!). I am fortunate to have found a surgeon who is extremely serious about having his patients be completely committed to the program FOR LIFE before he'll agree to do the surgery on you (lap band or RNY). I had to join a local support group and attend a minimum of 3 meetings, meet with a psychologist (some have to go twice), meet with a nutritionist for 6 months, commit to a diet and exercise plan, get support from my primary care physician, have an endoscopy (which led to a colonoscopy as well), and take a written test. There's probably more, but I don't remember just now. The entire process too me 8 months to complete, and then it was another 2 months waiting for my surgery date. During all this time I was going through some extremely difficult family issues (5 extremely ill family members with 3 deaths in a total of 7 weeks). My siblings were completely against my having the surgery (one sister had had it years before (without all the support, etc.) and failed at it. At the time of her death she weighed almost 400 lbs.

So, with the diet and exercise I lost 30 lbs in 9 months prior to surgery. Since surgery I've lost an additional 68 lbs. I work out a minimum of 3-4 times a week (running/brisk walk on the treadmill) along with water aerobics and occasionally strength training. I've still got 33 pounds that I'd like to lose, but I'm not sweating it. Now that I'm closer to my goal the weight is coming off much slower. That's perfectly normal, and I'm ok with it.

BTW - I decided on RNY instead of lapband because I didn't want the constant dr. appts to get filled. I still attend support group meetings about once a month, and it seems to me that there are quite a few "banders" who are now opting to have a revision to RNY. I've also learned that with bands you're still able to eat whatever you want, making it much easier to cheat. Believe me when I say that cheating with RNY is a most unpleasant experience!

Best wishes to you as you move forward and figure out what's best for you. Don't pay any attention to those people who think it's the easy way (it so is not!), nor the ones who ask why you would risk a "very dangerous surgery". Obviously, poor health is just as dangerous!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I chose VSG over Lapband for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. I did not want to deal with the fills/unfills and I could not afford the copays. I chose VSG over RNY b/c I did not want dumping syndrome or malabsorption. It just fit my lifestyle better. I can still eat normallly just in smaller portions and it feels amazing to not feel hungry all the time.
  • marci355
    Options
    I had RNY 7 months ago today (happy surgianniversary to me!). I am fortunate to have found a surgeon who is extremely serious about having his patients be completely committed to the program FOR LIFE before he'll agree to do the surgery on you (lap band or RNY). I had to join a local support group and attend a minimum of 3 meetings, meet with a psychologist (some have to go twice), meet with a nutritionist for 6 months, commit to a diet and exercise plan, get support from my primary care physician, have an endoscopy (which led to a colonoscopy as well), and take a written test. There's probably more, but I don't remember just now. The entire process too me 8 months to complete, and then it was another 2 months waiting for my surgery date. During all this time I was going through some extremely difficult family issues (5 extremely ill family members with 3 deaths in a total of 7 weeks). My siblings were completely against my having the surgery (one sister had had it years before (without all the support, etc.) and failed at it. At the time of her death she weighed almost 400 lbs.

So, with the diet and exercise I lost 30 lbs in 9 months prior to surgery. Since surgery I've lost an additional 68 lbs. I work out a minimum of 3-4 times a week (running/brisk walk on the treadmill) along with water aerobics and occasionally strength training. I've still got 33 pounds that I'd like to lose, but I'm not sweating it. Now that I'm closer to my goal the weight is coming off much slower. That's perfectly normal, and I'm ok with it.

BTW - I decided on RNY instead of lapband because I didn't want the constant dr. appts to get filled. I still attend support group meetings about once a month, and it seems to me that there are quite a few "banders" who are now opting to have a revision to RNY. I've also learned that with bands you're still able to eat whatever you want, making it much easier to cheat. Believe me when I say that cheating with RNY is a most unpleasant experience!

Best wishes to you as you move forward and figure out what's best for you. Don't pay any attention to those people who think it's the easy way (it so is not!), nor the ones who ask why you would risk a "very dangerous surgery". Obviously, poor health is just as dangerous!

Way to go!!! Well done, sweetie!! I know what you mean, obesity runs in my family too and I have had two siblings pass away within 10 months. That was soooo hard. Basically thats why I had my RNY, I didn't want to end up dead, like my brother and sister. Best of luck to you in your journey! Add me as a friend, if you like and I will cheer you on!! :bigsmile:
  • kimandallen07
    Options
    its really NOT a easy way out!! I had the gastic done..the none reverseable...and my life got better the first 6months BUT after that it all went down hill....everyone is different though ME if i had of known then what i know now...i would have never gotten it done! if u want to know more u can email me :) have a bless day!
  • katiejo2011
    katiejo2011 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will say about surgery is it is completely up to the individual person. With that said, I have heard that most respectable doctors will not allow someone to have one of these surgeries unless there is a specific reason that the person cannot loose weight on their own (i.e., back problems or medical problems). I would love to have surgery to loose my weight but I believe that I can do it on my own.

I want to say that someone mentioned they lost 100lbs or more and then tried to go back to normal. What was normal? You can't diet and loose 100lbs and then expect to go back to eating processed food and maintain that loss. Just my thoughts. You don't go back to eating "normal" after surgery so why would you after weight loss without it.
  • marci355
    Options
    The only thing I will say about surgery is it is completely up to the individual person. With that said, I have heard that most respectable doctors will not allow someone to have one of these surgeries unless there is a specific reason that the person cannot loose weight on their own (i.e., back problems or medical problems). I would love to have surgery to loose my weight but I believe that I can do it on my own.

I want to say that someone mentioned they lost 100lbs or more and then tried to go back to normal. What was normal? You can't diet and loose 100lbs and then expect to go back to eating processed food and maintain that loss. Just my thoughts. You don't go back to eating "normal" after surgery so why would you after weight loss without it.

Yep, that was me. And you're right, as I said in an earlier post, everyone is different. I can only speak for myself and my experience. What makes us gastric bypass patients upset, is when people start making blanket statements, about a surgery they basically know nothing about. I have obesity (and all the illnesses that go with it) running thru my family. I was chubby as a kid, yoyo'd my whole life. I could lose a LOT of weight, but since my metabolism was shot, I could eat healthy (i always have) and still gain it all back. When you are "pre-disposed" to being a certain body type, sometimes people have to make a drastic change. After years of fighting my weight ,at age 49 I decided to make a permnanet change. It was after my brother and sister died 10 months apart in 2003 and 2004, (yes they were obese) and my only other sibling was going thru chemo and radiation for colon cancer (yes, obese people have a much higher chance of coming down with colon cancer) that I decided to go thru with my RNY.Because I did NOT want to end up dead. Still to this day. I am the only child out of 4, who has NOT died, or has had some form of cancer. All obsesity related. So yes, weight loss surgery is not for everone. But for some folks, it's the only way out for us. So to answer your question: My "normal" was eating healthy, even when I was heavy. Different strokes for different folks, so please don't judge us as "taking the easy way out". There is nothing easy about being a RNY post-op. Best of luck to you on your journey as well! :flowerforyou:
  • Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    Well... I haven't had my surgery yet.. but the major deciding factor for me (to have the sleeve) was the Ghrelin. I'm not gonna lie, the idea of being 'hungry' all the time, sounds horrifying to me. That is what I was told can happen with banders. This is the major reason I failed on so many diets. Also, I wasn't prepared to have my small intestines rerouted and because it is said that you lose the weight very rapidly with the RnY.. that also scared me. I'll be honest, I don't have as much to lose as some who get this surgery so to me, the sleeve sounded like the best choice.

P.S I <3 you Marci! You're like the most upbeat person ever
  • joinyellowknife
    Options
    Megume
    I am about a month and a half out from having lapband and am soooooo glad i did it.
    fills and refills etc are not as common as they used to be. the doctors pretty much know now and you often only need one two or three fills to hit the perfect spot. i haven't had one fill and it's just right. as for hungry.....exact opposite problem. i hardly ever feel hunger. i have to remind myself to eat! I have completely changed my eating habits and now exercise everyday, there still is no magic solution, but the best part of lapband to me is it's completely reversible if at any time if things go bad. But so far, I have lost 40lbs and feel fantastic! would definitely do it again. good luck!
  • marte80
    marte80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    With saying that....I have been thinking whether Jennifer Hudson had surgery....I just can't believe that she loss 80lbs in 3 months on WW.
  • marte80
    Options
    Have you checked out obesityhelp.com? They have all types of forums for people who have had weight loss surgery. You do have to eat right after wt. loss surgery but the amt you lose and stuff like that is very different than people who lose wt. via reduced calories and exercise. I could eat the same meal plan as someone say with RNY surgery and they may lose 20 lbs. in a month and Me only 8 lbs. I would start to question Myself and wonder where I have gone wrong, when in reality My wt. loss is more normal. So it is not like comparing apples to apples. So when I hear of someone losing 100, 150...lbs in a year, I wonder if they had wt loss surgery...cause I have lost 75 lbs. in a year without it. Either way is OK, but I'd like to compare apples to apples.

With saying that, I am convinced Jennifer Hudson had surgery....80lbs, 4 months on WW....no way!
  • marte80
    Options

I agree. The surgery recovery is choice. Losing weight, accepting responsibility, and staying devoted and motivated to lose weight naturally is much more commendable.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I usually kepp my mouth shut when I hear things like what you are spewing here. And yes I said SPEWING.

Any life-altering decision a person makes is comendable...the road they choose to take is each person's personal choice.

And IF Jennifer Hudson had surgery...that is HER personal choice. Your responses are the exact reason she would not announce it for the world to know If she did. Some people NEED their privacy. Some will shout it from the roof tops. And until you walk a day in ANY ONE of our LIVES do NOT pass judgment. Save that for the ONE above.

Nuff said.