http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

"Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

* Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
    * Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
    * Pain in muscles and joints
    * Sudden drop in performance
    * Insomnia
    * Headaches
    * Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
    * Decrease in training capacity / intensity
    * Moodiness and irritability
    * Depression
    * Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
    * Decreased appetite
    * Increased incidence of injuries.
    * A compulsive need to exercise "

wow I think I experienced just about all of this 2 wks ago - I make it a point to have a rest day. I completely get it now :wink:

Why not take two? Face it your body needs time to recover anyways.

Adding an extra day of rest a week will make you better prepared for your next work out.

Personnally I am a runner... I run 4 days a week, cross train on a 5th and take every Monday and Friday off of training.

My heaviest workouts are usually done on weekends.
  • wrn1979
    wrn1979 Posts: 27
    Options
    Excessive laziness has the same symptoms, how weird is that!

Because using "overtraining" as an excuse to skip a workout, is lazy
  • wrn1979
    Options
    Huh!!! I never thought I over train!!! I really think these symptons are something everyone may experienced over time. Due to their every day ho- hum......

Exactly, those are also symptoms of depresssion, hypothyroidism, influenza, and about a thousand other illnesses. If you want to take a day off because you don't feel well, by all means, but don't call it "overtraining" just because you want to justify taking two or three days off a week.
  • wrn1979
    Options
    That's a list of symptoms that everyone goes through from time to time. It's a LOT harder to "over train" than most people think.

That list sounds like the list of side-effects you see on medication commercials, complete overkill.

Ignore it and see what happens. i suppose you are a Phd that has some irrefutable info that makes every other training professional wrong.

It is not hard to over train at all. You see it all the time and it's the cause of many peoples failures and off the wagon episodes. It's horrible stress on the body

You don't need a phd to recognize that human body is more resilient than anyone gives it credit for. Here's one, instead of succumbing to those symptoms, push through them and experience what it's like to overcome an obstacle. People in general would rather be lazy than tough.

If overtaining is so easy, why do Dos, Cosgrove, etc and the other strength and conditioning coaches in this country who see real results (you know, not the BS personal trainers at your local gym) push their programs that include 6-7 days a week of training? Dos' books recommend an "unloading" week every 12 weeks. What does that consist of? skipping ONE workout in 12 weeks, or just going with lighter weights for a week and doing the same workouts. No where does he recommend..."If you feel like you've got the flu take a month off you're overtraining."
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I like to deload every 6 weeks or so. I'll take four or five days off from weightlifting, but I don't just lay around the house. I stay active, maybe more running or whatever. It seems crazy but these are the time I get the worse sleep, and have the lowest energy.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I overtrained once to the point I could not elevate my heart rate above around 125.
  • wrn1979
    Options
    Because I can't just let things go:

Here's a response to the topic of overtraining from Robert dos Remedios, MA, CSCS; 2006 NSCA college strength coach of the year, Director of strength and conditioning at College of the Canyons in California. If you won't take my word for it, listen to an expert in the field and someone who has written articles for Men's Health, Men's Fitness, etc:

"I think we baby ourselves too much. Our problems in the gym, society ….hell, life in general are NOT coming from people working TOO HARD. It's coming from NOT DOING ENOUGH.

I am not really liking this whole kinder-gentler, touchy-feely, rehab style of 'training'. I think the pendulum will swing back the other way but right now seem to be obsessed with activation, mobilization, screening, NOT doing things because we 'can't' based on some assessment etc. Pick up heavy ****, work until you think you're gonna die at times, train hard and push the envelope and RELISH this amazing thing that is your body.

We need to rest, there's no doubt…..but I think we take things too far when it comes to 'over training'.

ok…rant over"
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    I work out with a trainer twice a week and run regularly. Last year I had a strained medial meniscus and achilles tendonitis in the opposite leg. I think that we just need to listen to what our bodies tell us. I heed certain aches and pains with extreme caution to avoid reinjury. I love working out and overdoing it last year cost me 6 weeks of no exercise since I could barely put weight on my knee. Everyone has made good points but the bottom line is we each need to do what is best for us individually. :)
  • mvln
    mvln Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump