Going Broke

Options
Let start by saying my wife and I love our new lifestyle. We love what we eat and believe this is for ever. BUT I gotta tell ya this healthy eating is EXPENSIVE! My wife and I are both teachers and live a modest life However over the past few months I have noticed I spend the same if not more on food than I did when we were going out to eat 5 time a week.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Sincerely,

thinnerwallet

Replies

• bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Let start by saying my wife and I love our new lifestyle. We love what we eat and believe this is for ever. BUT I gotta tell ya this healthy eating is EXPENSIVE! My wife and I are both teachers and live a modest life However over the past few months I have noticed I spend the same if not more on food than I did when we were going out to eat 5 time a week.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Sincerely,

thinnerwallet
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Deat thinner wallet,

I feel your wallets pain!!!! Especially if your buying Organic products! I have no solution - but I am here for moral support, lol. :drinker:

Sincerely,
    Healthy & Broke in Oklahoma
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to view this instead as an investment in my health. If I continued eating poorly (but cheaply) the money would probably later come out in medical bills anyway! :happy:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    I went grocery shopping today and wondered why the "diet" or healthy food is so much more than the fatening stuff. I have a budget each week that I have to be under. It's a whole lot harder when we are trying to eat healthier!
  • rhondababy
    Options
    My food bill is lower because I am cooking more at home, and not going out as much. Also, I find that foods like dried peas, and beans made into soup with vegetables is a very economical way to eat.
    Try doing more home meal prep.if you can. I am lucky to be in California where fresh produce is available year round very at very good prices, so maybe that's it.

Good Luck! Keep Eating well!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    We are feeding a family of 4 on less than $100 a week. This includes dog food and my husbands vodka.
    Are you shopping at the big grocery stores.
    We shop at the bag your own stores and watch the ads. We also buy chicken and ground turkey in bulk.
    It's a small price to pay for a healthier and longer life.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey bigdane,
    I'm with you on that one. I have never really gone out to eat and have always been on a budget. Now that I'm eating healthy, I noticed that I always go over the budget. Probably more so in the last couple of months. Last week, I bought mostly veggies and fruits with a little milk, yogurt and chicken and it added up to over $50, this is for just me as I am a single person. Way too much. I've been having to tap into my entertainment dollars to eat healthy.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dear thinner wallet,

I agree with you. I've had to cut down on alot of my "healthy foods" when we go food shopping.
    I'll buy the Lean Cuisine foods when they go on sale.
    Thankfully, Fit & Active(Mama Cozzi) is coming out with tons of the same Lean Cuisine stuff but more affordable.

I'm really trying to find healthy recipes that I can make and my family can enjoy along with me.
    making 2 seperate dinners almost every day is getting a bit ridiculous. Alot harder b/c my hubbz is trying to gain weight:grumble:

"Healthy frozen foods" will soon be extinct in this household.... hopefully.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Going broke,

i have had the opposite experience. With my diet i have cut my portion sizes in half.
    Smaller portions means that food in the pantry lasts much longer than before. My wife cannot believe how much less i am eating.

I also stopped buying expensive things like imported cold cuts and cheeses.

Instead of buying veggies from the supermarket i took out a vegetable subscription to a local CSA farm. The veggies i get throught the CSA are cheaper than what you get in the supermarket and organic.

You can see the link if there is one in your area http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

I actually found that i am spending less in groceries because of my diet.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Going broke,

i have had the opposite experience. With my diet i have cut my portion sizes in half.
    Smaller portions means that food in the pantry lasts much longer than before. My wife cannot believe how much less i am eating.

I also stopped buying expensive things like imported cold cuts and cheeses.

Instead of buying veggies from the supermarket i took out a vegetable subscription to a local CSA farm. The veggies i get throught the CSA are cheaper than what you get in the supermarket and organic.

You can see the link if there is one in your area http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

I actually found that i am spending less in groceries because of my diet.

Thank you for the link! Who knew that you could get fresh, local veggies & fruit close to home EVERY week. I have to drive 13 miles to the nearest, affordable grocery store. I love where I live but I've been finding my bank accound a little less full too!
    I'm definitely going to look into this further...
    Thanks again!!!
    Angela
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think amazon has some great prices...if there are any protein bars/shakes or anything non perishable...you may want to look at ordering it on line through amazon in bulk

Kim
  • artloux
    artloux Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree! I'm also a teacher so I understand the going broke thing completely. I think this may be one reason America is an overweight nation. It's less expensive to get a $.99 bacon cheese burger and value fries than to go to the produce stand and get fresh veggies! I have to admit I do love a good bacon cheese burger now and then and if the price is right it's really tempting, but healthy is best and it's and investment in your future!
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    We spend as much for 2 people to eat right than ever. :noway: I can't even afford the luxury of lettuce and tomatoes are out of the question, I can buy celery when it drops to under 150 a package. I get my veggies frozen in bulk when on sale or even canned when I can find the no salt ones. its hard. but I like the idea that I would just be paying for medical bills down the road. that's a good way to look at it. I live in Florida and still can't find a reasonable price on most produce. I found even the "local" produce is imported and the flea market stands are just as high as the super stores. I never thought I would see the day when I bought just 2 plums or pears. But on the upside, shopping takes a lot less time.
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions. First try to find a farmers market in your area, not a whole lot in the winter but the rest of the year good savings on locally produced stuff. Next my wife plays the "Grocery game" it's a web site you join tell them your area supermarkets and each week they will put together a list of the best buys, with coupons this saves us an average of $50 to $70 per tripto the grocer, we bought and paid for a deep freeze our first month allowing us to buy frozen in bulk furtheriing the savings. Plus don't be afraid to stock up, if you see a great deal on whatever, grab a ton of it. you will feel the pinch at first but this one really pays off in the long run. We do this on food, dry goods, soaps, shampoo etc..
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It is a big change, but see if your healthier stores offer coupons or price match on advertisements. Sprouts, whole foods, trader joes etc usually have decent prices. I live in AZ and have found that my trader joes is actually less expensive than my safeway or albertsons, etc. Also see if there are any farmers markets near you.

Farmers markets may have uglier produce sometimes but that is just what the stores may not have wanted, doesn't mean it doesn't taste just as yummy. I have one really close to my house that is full of produce from all local organic farms and the prices are great.

Another idea is to plan your meals ahead of time using similar ingredients then you will find that you may not need to buy as much food, this has been my best grocery budget saver!
  • kflammer
    Options
    Yes, it does dig deep into the pockets, but just look at the reward in the end which will be priceless....
  • catcooke
    Options
    It is more expensive to eat "better". In the long run it's worth it, think of what you'll save in health care costs down the road. It all evens out at the end of the day. :smile:
  • catcooke
    Options
    Thanks for this link, there is a CSA farm close to me too!! I love my veggies!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!
    Ok.....I am a little over stimualted!!:happy: :smooched: :love: That veggie site is totaly awesome!
    I have been looking for some type of health food place around me for a while. I find that health food and .............crystals and dragons seem to be attached. Why is that? Is it to much to ask a health food store to have 'health' food? I dont care what a store sells. Just dont tell me you are a health food store and then not have any food when I walk inside.
    Anywho....thank you for the site!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joes? Health food with good prices.

dd