Protein Shakes

Options
Do you think is better before or after a workout
We are starting a new initiative at work, doing Zumba workout during lunch hour.
should I take the protein shake before the workout or after, this will be my lunch actually.
Thank you.

Replies

• JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes should be used more as a supplement in addition to food.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    in the morning. frist thing
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    You want to use a protein shake 30 to 45 minutes after your exercise. :-)
  • tizzy22
    tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree... you shouldn't take it as a meal but rather as a snack replacement or with your meal. I would recommend you take it after however you should eat a light snack about 30 minutes before your class to give you a bit of energy to carry you through the class. The protein is food for your muscles and so as you stretch and work them during your class, they will need the nutrition to repair them after they've been worked.
  • brendagangadin
    Options
    You should take it after your workout. If you work out on an empty stomach you will burn more fat. If you have the protein shake before you work out, those are the calories you will burn. Also after your workout, you need to replenish some of the nutrients, so your protein shake will assist in that.

I take protein shakes for lunch too, instead of food, lost 10 pounds so far!!! Started strick on March 2nd.

Good luck.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i just bought JM's vanilla protein shake & it says it can be used as a meal replacement, to ward off cravings as a snack, or as a post-workout muscle recovery... i'm using it post workouts :o)
  • alexa_image
    Options
    You should take it after your workout. If you work out on an empty stomach you will burn more fat. If you have the protein shake before you work out, those are the calories you will burn. Also after your workout, you need to replenish some of the nutrients, so your protein shake will assist in that.

I take protein shakes for lunch too, instead of food, lost 10 pounds so far!!! Started strick on March 2nd.

Good luck.

Any brand recomendation?
  • alexa_image
    Options
    i just bought JM's vanilla protein shake & it says it can be used as a meal replacement, to ward off cravings as a snack, or as a post-workout muscle recovery... i'm using it post workouts :o)

You mean Jillian Michaels?
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    I've done the BSN brand, the lean dessert is yummo! but just started on Visalus, and I love that too. Less calories, less the 1 gram of sugar, plenty of protein. Make sure you understand the Nutrition Facts when your looking for a good protein shake.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I make my own in a blender with 1 cup 2% milk, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 orange, 1 banana, and some blueberries. It tastes good and is a whole lot less expensive than buying it in a bottle.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider a "recovery" drink for after Zumba to help replenish what you've lost. I use one by cellmass.

Creamy protein shakes usually don't sound very good to me after a lot of cardio. I do put a scoop of whey protein in my oatmeal or make a shake in the morning sometimes.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    protein first thing in the morning. jump starts ur metabolism