Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

any other college students..?

So I've been on myfitnesspal for a while now but I always feel like the odd one out when I don't have enough time to work out every day and my eating habits tend to revolve around my exam schedule.

Anyone else feel like a slave to their academics? How can I make healthy, realistic choices with so little time on my hands?

Replies

• idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    I work full-time and am a full-time college student, but this is my life now and my main priority so I make sure I get my time in for exercise and that I eat healthy as well. It is all about time management, which I will admit I have not always been the best at, but am getting much better with.
  • I'm not a student at the moment, but in the fall I'll be returning to school for grad school and I'm curious about the eating habits of other students, as well. I plan to keep food in my bookbag that's healthy and "portable"... apples, the occassional meal replacement bar (though I don't recommend them for every day), pre-made ziplock bags with exact serving sizes of nuts, a weight watchers string cheese stick, an unsalted rice cake with a tbsp of peanut butter, etc. Since it's better to eat mini-meals throughout the day than three big meals, in theory, being in a hurry and eating mini meals on the go could be a benefit instead of a bad thing... though I realize that it's less convenient.

In the cafeteria? Salad bar, of course, just avoid the creamy dressing. Most sandwich stations have grilled chicken breast. Get the chicken without the bread and have it wrapped in lettuce. Most campus markets have yogurt, which is good to grab if you're out and about and only have a moment.
  • I'm a full-time college student and I work part-time, but it's been hard for me to get a hardcore work out in. I just try to walk a lot throughout the day.
  • I'm a full time college student as well! I also work part time. I've definitely noticed that its a challenge to fit in a good workout around my busy class schedule, homework, studying and work.

That, and a lot of dining hall food is just plain fattening. I've been getting up extra early to work out in the mornings (before my 9am class, God help me) even though I stay up until the wee hours of the morning doing homework and studying. I've starting using a meal replacement shake for breakfast in the morning, and trying to eat healthy lunches and dinners in the dining hall. Cutting out drinking soda and other sugary beverages will help a ton - I had to do that for track and cross country in high school and I just started back after falling off the bandwagon. Oh, and avoid eating out and eating after 7:00 too!

The best thing about my campus is how spread out it is. Just walking around all day is a pretty good form of exercise, especially if you're carrying a heavy backpack! Haha.
  • I'm a pre-nursing student.
    It's nice to know there are so many other people dealing with the same things.
  • ray37
    ray37 Posts: 18
    I completely understand where you're coming from. Something I tried this semester was to sign up for an exercise class. I take cardio conditioning twice a week at 9am, before my classes start. It's a great way to get you to wake up a bit earlier and squeeze in a workout before the day begins--and the fact that it's a class with a grade holds you accountable so you actually have to go! :) Another option is to bring notes or a book with you to the gym and to read through them while on the elliptical/treadmill/bike, I've tried that!

In terms of food, I always have healthy snacks on hand in my room that I can grab before leaving for class. Carrots and laughing cow light cheese, special k protein snack bars, trader joes light kettle corn, baggies of high-fiber cereal, and fruit (apples, bananas, oranges) are always much better options than other fatty foods I could get at the cafeteria!

Hope this helps :)
  • I work 30 hrs a week, I am a college student and a mommy, so you can do it! I do find it tough at times to get a workout in, but even if taking my son out on a walk or a quick run, that def makes me feel better. Try maybe walking on your breaks at school or work, that is what I do. I always prepare my lunch the night before or early if I am up early enough. I make healthy choices for snacks always have a snack especially if on the go! Granola bars, bananas, apples, yogurt, etc. When I can't make it to the gym, I pop in a workout dvd and get it done that way. But yes, I know the feeling of being loaded w/ homework, work, etc. Just take advantage of those little breaks and do something active even just a nice walk:)
  • I think one of the biggest things I do for myself nutritionally is to watch what I buy at the grocery store. Now that I'm not living in a dorm and can cook for myself, my biggest hurdle is to avoid buying food that is easy to binge on or unhealthy snacks (chocolate covered pretzels being my fallback when I'm stressed or emotional)

And signing up for a workout class is also a great way to fit in a workout! I'm the kind of person who works out so much more consistently when I have a group of people keeping me accountable.

I'm so glad there are more people dealing with this than just me! I hope we can keep the suggestions flowing! :happy:
  • BCXMC
    BCXMC Posts: 78 Member
    I'm a full time student and academically I'm a Dean's List kind of girl :)...ITS HARD WORK!!! Not going to lie!!! keeping up with being a Mentor (I'm a Pal) and working and having to deal with the stress on top of stress.

To me MFP is really great place to be and to get away from your thoughts. You learn to build confidence just by taking notes and seeing the progress of others.

I workout every day for 70-80 mins all the depends. I have to do this by having a membership at a 24hours I go in to my workout at 1am and go home a prepare my bed to jump in lol take a shower and HIDE my remote and my lap top to stay away from MFP. Because I know I should be sleep, I usually make it into bed by 3:10-4:00 then start my day over again at 6 and 8 in the morning. I have to keep up with my school work by doing it during or after work and take a nap by 11 and be up and out the door for workout by 1 soooo yea you can do it!! Its possible to stride for the best if you really want it. Make your journey the best and be happy :)!!