Hello, I think I might be doing something wrong....

Options
I have given up Soda and Juice, since January and I just gave up Coffee this month. Im down to Green tea and water ONLY. I eat fewer then 1500 calories a day, and I do a 16-20 min. workout 5 days a week. Im feeling that I am not seeing the results that I thought I would. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    What results have you seen? How much do you want to lose in total? It takes time and if your photo is recent it looks like you don't have a lot to lose, which is great but also means it will take longer to lose. Try to focus on other things besides just the scale. I have found that when I am exercising and eating healthy I am less stressed out, I have more energy, I sleep better and I am in a better mood. Also, if you are able to switch up you exercise routine that can help to kick start things too. Are you able to do longer workouts less times per week? Do you do cardio and weights? Good luck and don't give up!
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You may want to up your exercise. It is a great stress reliever and muscle burns more than fat, so even when you aren't working out your body will burn more calories when you are stronger.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You may need to "up" your workouts. Try doing 30-45 minutes. Combine Cardio and weight Training. Change it up too, because your body gets used to doing the same thing and working the same muscle groups.
  • dincler
    dincler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on how your clothes are fitting, too - are your pants looser? Your shirts fitting better? My weight isn't down a whole lot, but I'm losing inches in the right places right now.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    try working out more, if you only do 20 mins, you are supposed to do a warm up and cool down so that would only leave like 10 mins of having your heart rate up.....Having your heart rate up, burn cals. So try doing 45 mins @ the least in cardio then strength or find a balance that works for you..I just suggest more workout time...=) good luck darling!
  • JaneDeere1975
    Options
    I did the exact same thing and then all of sudden 2lbs... gone. As far as calories, are they good calories or bad? Maybe you could try for longer workouts...or more cardio...everyone is different, but we are all here to help! Good luck! :)
  • mac4ton
    mac4ton Posts: 5
    Options
    You may be eating so little that your metobalism has slowed down. Try eating small, frequent meals and aim for no less than 1800 calories a day. Otherwise your body goes into "starvation mode" and stores everything you eat as fat because your not getting enough. Its completely true that you must eat to lose weight.
    If your wanting to see more toning, split you exercise between cardio and strength training.
    And good luck!
  • Curvyboom
    Options
    Are you eating the majority of your calories in 1-2 big meals? If so, your body might be in starvation mode. Try spacing out your meals and eating smaller ones more often. You might also still be over calories. I started at 137lbs and my goal was 1200 calories a day (broken up into 3 small meals and two snacks (protein shakes)) and I saw results immediately. Also not eating (or drinking) carbs at night will make a HUGE difference.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    to trigger fat loss during exercise you should be maintaining an elevated heart rate for a minimum of 20 minutes. If you are doign 16-20 minutes i think you are cutting yourself off before it gets benificial. Aim for a minimum of 30 minutes instead. And bring your heart rate up to just below where you start to lose your breath, in other words, you shouldn`t have trouble breathing and are not trying to catch your breath, but you are breaking a good sweat.

are you eating a good balance of healthy carbs, lean protein and good fats?
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have given up Soda and Juice, since January and I just gave up Coffee this month. Im down to Green tea and water ONLY. I eat fewer then 1500 calories a day, and I do a 16-20 min. workout 5 days a week. Im feeling that I am not seeing the results that I thought I would. Any suggestions?

What? It says you joined the site in March (this month) and your ticker says you've lost 12 pounds! This isn't Biggest Looser - you are not going to lose 7 to 15 pounds a week., If your ticker is telling the truth, you are doing extremely well. if it isn't then I'd have to ask why you're fibbing.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    this thread is a great example of how overused and misunderstood starvation mode is.
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What? It says you joined the site in March (this month) and your ticker says you've lost 12 pounds! This isn't Biggest Looser - you are not going to lose 7 to 15 pounds a week., If your ticker is telling the truth, you are doing extremely well. if it isn't then I'd have to ask why you're fibbing.

Or she could have entered a weight she was at previously before she joined MFP. For example she could have entered an old weight of say 180lbs from June '10 and her weight as of January '11 to now could be ~168, the ticker would show it as being a total of 12lbs lost.
  • RoyalsChristina
    Options
    I started out doing Tae Bo, The Ultimate Total Body Workout which is 8mins. long. I then started doing it two times a day. I dropped 2 pant sizes, and have lost 10lbs. Im so anxious to lose the weight, I weigh myself everyday sometimes twice a day! Since I have been doing that video since Jan. I got really tired of seeing Billy Blanks everyday and have now changed to Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I just started it as of this morning. I love it!! The dvd is broke down into 3 parts. At this time I am only able to do the first 20mins. Im hoping I will start to see results.
  • mac4ton
    mac4ton Posts: 5
    Options
    I stay off the scale. I want to build lean muscle as well as lose fat. I know muscle weighs more than fat. So those scale numbers can be more frustrating than anything. If you must do the scale thing, try weighing yourself once a week. At the same time of day each time.
    Anxiety over weight loss is worse the trying to lose it in the first place. (been there, done that) Relax and take it a day at a time.
  • RoyalsChristina
    Options
    Im not trying to "fib" or "Starve myself". I have been Large most of my life. This is the first time in my life that Im taking control and going to do something with myself. I did take some diet pills. That Im pretty sure only made me lose water weight, so when my ticker tracked 12lbs. weight loss, most of it came back. So Im stepping up my game and trying to lose weight, and KEEP IT OFF!!
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!! If your calorie intake is in the right range for what MFP recommends (which I imagine it is), I'd just up the exercise!

Remember, all your exercise doesn't have to be as intense as some of those videos! Try a long, brisk walk to up minutes without killing yourself.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself so often! It is only going to make you more anxious if you don't see a drop or if you see an increase. Your weight can naturally fluctuate day to day by a few pounds. So weighing yourself everyday is not productive. At most weigh yourself once a week and as long as you are seeing a general downward trend you are on the right track. If you are eating healthy and appropriate portions and being active the weight will come off. It just takes time. This not a race, it needs to be a permanent lifestyle change. It sounds like you are doing great.