bike riding to lose weight

Options
I wanted to know has anyone lost any weight by riding a bicycle. I just started and am doing about 4 miles per day. Please let me know

Replies

• EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Any movement will help. It depends on how hard you're riding and for how long, not necessarily miles. =o]
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Biking can be a GREAT workout both cardio and legs...I am waiting for the thaw here in MN so I can get mine out and start peddling to work.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taracotta
    Options
    I have a friend whom has lost over 50 pounds from taking up bike riding. I think he started riding just a few miles a day all the way to 25+ miles a day. But on average I think he went 8-10miles a day... so perhaps as long as you keep pushing the distance a little, it can be very effective.

Good luck!
  • catcaperello
    catcaperello Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is one of the best things you can do! Why? Because It's fun and it's gets you moving!
    I highly recommend the book "Ride your way Lean" by Selene Yeagar as a good resource and invite you to take a look at my blog when you have the chance: http://girleatsbike.wordpress.com/

I'm a biiiig advocate and would love to talk with you more about it - feel free to add me!

Best,
    Cat
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this..... I have a bike that I've had for years (and also haven't ridden for years!!) and am just about feeling as though I could bear to be seen in public on it without collapsing in a big sweaty heap before I'm out of my street. Need to clean it up and see if I can motivate myself to get moving.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight by riding my bike more often, in combination with watching my calories. I ride to work and back every day (about 24 km/day), and take longer rides on the weekends. If I go anywwhere now, I think about whether I could ride instead of driving, and the answer is usually "yes". It makes a BIG difference to my net calories.
  • dfinch3327
    Options
    Look here for good info regarding bicycling, http://www.bicycling.com/ If you create an account and log into the forums there is a lot of good info, everything from exercising, diet to repairing your bike. I live in Minnesota and as soon as the snow is gone I will be riding to my new bike to work every day ( 6 miles one way ).