How late is too late to eat dinner?

Options
I struggle with the time that I eat dinner because I always have so much to do. I got in around 530p today, and after I changed my clothes, did my Zumba, and logged into Wii Fit, it's now almost 7pm. This, however, is the earliest I've been done with my workout. I want to eat dinner at a decent time and still have time for a snack, say an hour before bed. I just don't want to go to sleep right after I eat.

Replies

• rayne937
    rayne937 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have heard you shouldn't eat 3 hours prior to bed; however, you tend to burn the most cals when you sleep. I would maybe eat a small snack around 4, before you get home so you aren't starving by the time you are done with your routine.
    Also, it never hurts to drink a bit of water before you eat to help fill you up and eat less.
  • ShannonE1978
    ShannonE1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am just now starting to cook my supper and will be eating around 7:30 or so. I have my snack usually around 9:00 and then I go to bed soon after that. I can't seem to get it in any earlier either. Luckily I have still been losing but I fear I may have to find a different way of working my schedule if my losing slows. Good Luck!
  • Shultz7766
    Options
    ive been told by my dietician that your body doesnt know what time it is when you eat.its what you eat and burn off though out the day that matters.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    When's bedtime? I'm usually heading for bed about 11, and I don't like to eat much later than 8 pm.
  • 88irocz
    88irocz Posts: 2
    Options
    I have heard that it doesn't matter what time as long as its 2 hours before you go to bed. The reason for the 2 hours is to keep acid reflux from happening which is not a good thing.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Not eating too near bedtime is now a myth. Obviously if you stuff your face you'll get indigestion, but a snack before bed actually is beneficial as it keeps your metabolism stoked all night. IE you still digest and burn calories in your sleep.

So dont worry about it :flowerforyou:
  • lphoenix129
    Options
    ive been told by my dietician that your body doesnt know what time it is when you eat.its what you eat and burn off though out the day that matters.

This helps quite a bit. I try my best to burn as much as possible.
  • lphoenix129
    Options
    When's bedtime? I'm usually heading for bed about 11, and I don't like to eat much later than 8 pm.

Now that's a good question! Bedtime is also something I struggle with. I'm lucky if I'm in bed by midnight, but the last few days have been later and later. I know an adequate amount of sleep is important as well, so I'm working on it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I get off work between 6 and 7. My husband gets home from work sometime between 7:30 and 9 and we eat when he gets home.... sometimes we start cooking when he gets home! I tend not to eat as heavily late, usually because I have snacked in the mean time, but I don't worry about it. It's a little bit of family time I don't figure will screw up my weight overall. I get to bed between 10:30 and midnight usually.
  • LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    I have heard you shouldn't eat 3 hours prior to bed; however, you tend to burn the most cals when you sleep. I would maybe eat a small snack around 4, before you get home so you aren't starving by the time you are done with your routine.
    Also, it never hurts to drink a bit of water before you eat to help fill you up and eat less.

I agree. As long as you don't go to bed extremely full you should be ok.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating my evening meal between 8 and 9pm, so to me that is the normal time. I find it a bit weird when people eat at 6pm. I feed my children at 7, but I don't eat for another hour or two. Then again, I never go to bed before 1am.
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We usually eat dinner late, sometime between 6-8 ..

I agree with posters who stated that your body doesn't know what time it is. It does not matter what time you eat, it matters what you're eating and how much.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from carbs after 7:30pm.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    on nights that i have karate training i wont eat until as late as 9.30/10pm

running nights is around 8 - 8.30pm

regular nights its 5.30pm but then i will tend to snack later.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    When you're dead. :bigsmile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When you're dead. :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was going to say, "After you've gone to bed". :bigsmile: