if you have nothing nice to say then dont say it

Options
I love this site! I love how supportive people are and I love all the help topics on here. However, I am noticing that some people are posting things that are not nice.. more of their opinion. Most of us need encouragement and support but we do not want to come on here, read a post that is saying "we are losing too much weight, or not eating the right foods, etc." If you have NOTHING NICE TO SAY THEN DONT SAY IT! Put it on your blog if you want but for the people who need help and encouragement, we may get offended.

5108536.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love this site! I love how supportive people are and I love all the help topics on here. However, I am noticing that some people are posting things that are not nice.. more of their opinion. Most of us need encouragement and support but we do not want to come on here, read a post that is saying "we are losing too much weight, or not eating the right foods, etc." If you have NOTHING NICE TO SAY THEN DONT SAY IT! Put it on your blog if you want but for the people who need help and encouragement, we may get offended.

5108536.png

AGREED :) LIKE LIKE
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    You are a wonderful person and the world needs more of you!!!

Thanks for posting this and ending the night for many on a positive note!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    You read that too, huh?? WOW!! She was a bit cruel!
  • paulagabay
    Options
    not just here but at other places too. People mean well but sometimes they don't think before they talk or send messages. Thanks for sharing.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just noticed that your ticker isn't in your actual signature. Do you copy and paste the code every time you post a forum? You can click on "signature" above this post and paste that code into your signature and it will show up automatically so you don't have to add it manually. It will also update automatically as you update your weight loss.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    completely agree!!! :flowerforyou:

Posted a topic yesterday with a really legit question. I explained exactly what I needed to find out and wouldn't ya know it, right off the bat at least a handful of folks told me to "forget about it", why do you need that answers!

Then finally one very polite person gave me the answer! He got a follow up personal message from me thanking him, he replied with even more helpful info.

One out of ten - it should be better!

Thanks for posting this timely topic!

:heart:
  • fairyjester
    Options
    any type of forums or message boards anywhere about anything get those kinds. They just want to cause a stir
  • goldspaula
    goldspaula Posts: 161
    Options
    Hey, I just noticed that your ticker isn't in your actual signature. Do you copy and paste the code every time you post a forum? You can click on "signature" above this post and paste that code into your signature and it will show up automatically so you don't have to add it manually. It will also update automatically as you update your weight loss.

Really wanted to comment on the links in your signature. Informative but http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com is just too cute. Thanks.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Thanks! I never knew how to do that!
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Where is the like button? I was just in a thread the other day...started by me where someone thought it important to inject their theories, and they were not nice. Ugh, thats the one thing I come here for is encouragement and upbeat folks. There are enough sites for opinionated negative people somewhere else but not here!
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    I agree 100%! I've had this happen to me earlier today on here! I was so upset, I talked about it to my husband and he told me not to let it bother me. But this site is supposed to be for support and being positive!!
  • basalmouse
    Options
    Thank you for speaking up!!
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We were just looking at the same post. I agree with you. She was way over the top.

That said, I love MFP and the help I do find!
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    There are a million and one different websites to go to to find what you want to hear!...or to prove your point. I know what post she is talking about....I read it too! I just go with what works! Not everyone is the same. She was talking about starvation mode...Well I found several different websites conflicting the so called starvation mode! MY BELIEF is if you have a lot of weight to lose then you will NOT go into starvation mode any time soon. Your body has the excess "fuel" to burn. If you have little weight to lose and you go way under on your calories...then yes the body DOES think it is starving and will eat its own muscle. I feel sorry for those that are being mislead. Thats why a lot of people get frustrated and STOP because they arent losing any weight. Well that COULD be a reason....they are eating their exercise calories. Which that just doesnt make sense to me...if you are trying to burn off those calories ...why eat them right back? Just my thoughts.....:flowerforyou:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options

5108536.png

Thank you for posting that. I was noticing that trend in some of the forums too. We are all here for the same reason. Support one another. If there is something that bothers you there is always a nice way to put it or vent and rant in a more private place. That being said! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADIES!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There is a good balance to be had, and you'll find it here on MFP far more than many forums. Though most of us don't want the Negative Nelly to come and just break people down, there are lots of times when people can be contradicting or offering a counter-point that is good for discussion. It is all about how it is offered - constructively or in a more attacking style? If everybody just nodded in agreement and patted each other on the back all the time, things would get rather dull, and we often wouldn't learn as much as we might otherwise.

Still, this site is second to very few (none that I know of) for support and positive attitudes. It is almost impossible to be perfect with it being a part of the internet, but it does a pretty great job of it overall. So don't let a few Nellies bring you down or ruin your successes. At the same time, don't dismiss a constructive counterpoint either.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thats y I rarely post topics here..way to many "know it alls"
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I agree completely. I used to frequent another forum and well, it is full of meanies. MFP always seems so calm and everyone is so lovely and supportive. I did read that post from earlier and I believe it may have been deleted while I was reading because it just disappeared and I was sent back to the main page of the message boards. Calling people zombies is not going to help them. Some people thrive on drama and come to a site like this and try to spoil it for the rest of us, but we won't let them!!! Negativity can't survive here!!!
  • mariangel03
    Options
    You are so right about that: we're Here because we want encouragement and motivation and when you read something like that, a lot of us tend to give up....maybe we should use that as fuel to keep on going & prove 'em wrong!!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Partly -- I agree with you. It's all about delivery. Even if you have to disagree with someone or something, you can do it politely and positively.

However, if someone tells me that they're working out an hour a day and eating 1,200 calories and needs some encouragement to push through their plateau, then I'm going to point out that maybe they should be eating more. A support group isn't just one that is all positive all the time. A support group calls you out when you need to be called out and gives you information you need to be successful. If you watch the Biggest Loser, the biggest motivator on the show was Justin, and he called people out all the time and gave a lot of "tough love".