HOW do i exercise if i can never go to the gym?

Options
well im never able to got to the gym becuase i cannot get a membership but i always have extra time at home so i was just wondering what is the best way to exersize and get rid of fat without any wieghts or equipment. ?

Replies

• manda907
    manda907 Posts: 22
    Options
    There are tons of DVD's that require nothing or something as simple as hand weights which are really cheap to buy at Walmart.

Netflix also has a good choice for instant streaming.

Or try looking on your local Craigslist website for any free or cheap equipment. I'm still on the hunt for a cheap elliptical for home.
  • avjets
    avjets Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your own body is the best weight you can lift. Squats, lunges, push ups, crunches...No equipment needed and you can take it anywhere. Good luck!!!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yard work, house cleaning, walking.
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would suggest walking, unless a doctor told you not to.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30Day Shred , burns about 215 calories for me in 20minutes
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Youtube have a lot of yoga workouts, a lot of zumba dances and other exercises.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I would go with DVD's. Also someone said your own body weight-great also. Start walking, when you feel comfortable with that start jogging. Do things like push ups, lunges, squats, tricep dips off your couch and do things like jumping jacks, run in place, jump rope in between each thing. You can also get bands if you really want some resistance-they work great and are reasonable priced.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Ok so this is what I did today. I brought my recycling bins downstairs so I have to run up and down several times a day to put stuff in them. I found myself going up and down stairs 14 times today as apposed to my usual NEVER!
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Pilates, yoga, zumba, wii games, xbox games, walk around the neighborhood, aerobics dvd.......I exercise at home all of the time...I don't want a gym membership. Had one and didn't do it....I just pop in a dvd or a game and I get going....I also walk my dog 2 miles per day.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some good quick workouts, i just do one after another until I feel I've done enough :)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    go for a run or a bike ride. These two exercises burn tons of calories in a short amount of time and require no membership.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i can't afford a gym or fancy equipment either, i walk at least a half hour every day. all that takes is a comfortable pair of shoes and a walkman if you don't have someone to walk with,
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your home?
    Doing several flights in a row is a great cardio workout.
  • romade188
    romade188 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    there are so many ways to get creative at home with exercise. if you have no hand weights, use canned goods. you could use your wall to do standing push ups, or lean your back against it and do squats. use your kitchen chair to do leg lifts. also a jump rope is a cheap and extremely effective way to get great cardio in. don't limit yourself just because you have no gym equipment. if you use your imagination, i'm sure there are plenty of things you do on a regular basis, or use, that you could turn into a good workout. just keep an open mind, and nothing can stop you. good luck!
  • Darrickb
    Darrickb Posts: 27
    Options
    Dvd's and walking work great! just have to be determined to move
  • lsiberian
    lsiberian Posts: 69
    Options
    I have worked out a liveexercise.com for free since last August.

Check it out.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Your own body is the best weight you can lift. Squats, lunges, push ups, crunches...No equipment needed and you can take it anywhere. Good luck!!!

So true. Tony Horton is an awesome trainer. Any of his programs are a great investment :)
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    run . walk . bike

buy a few things to use at home

1 - yoga ball
    2 - medicine ball
    3 - 2 or 3 resistance bands
    4 - set of 5lb and 10lb weights or better yet - a set of bowflex adjustable weights
    5 - 8 or 12 KG kettlebell
    6 - jump rope

get out use a park bench for set ups, run stairs etc
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have a gaming console, there are many "games" you can get for them. I would recommend Zumba for the 360 ( if you are Kinect enabled) and My Fitness Coach (the first one) for the Wii. And both consoles stream Netflix, so if you have that you can access their exercise stuff. Otherwise, walking, lifting 2 liter bottles or gallon jugs full of water. When I can't get out, I will even walk my driveway. Its short, but I just go back and forth with intervals of sprinting.
  • manda907
    manda907 Posts: 22
    Options
    If you have a gaming console, there are many "games" you can get for them. I would recommend Zumba for the 360 ( if you are Kinect enabled) and My Fitness Coach (the first one) for the Wii. And both consoles stream Netflix, so if you have that you can access their exercise stuff. Otherwise, walking, lifting 2 liter bottles or gallon jugs full of water. When I can't get out, I will even walk my driveway. Its short, but I just go back and forth with intervals of sprinting.

DDR (on all consoles other than PS3 unless it's PS2 backwards compatible) is an awesome game for Cardio. I've used it in the past but my good mat finally stopped working :-(

I totally recommend DDR as it's cheap to buy and you can start out as a beginner and work your way up to harder levels, and the songs help keep it changed up and entertaining.