How do you find the time?

Options
I'm very motivated to lose this weight but just the stress of finding time to exercise makes me want to quit! I have two little boys under 3 years old. My morning starts at 5:30 in the morning as I have to get myself ready and both the boys ready to take to day care befor work that starts a 8, I then work 9 hour days so by the time I go get the boys from daycare it is 6:30 at night. I cook dinner for them, give them baths and by then it's 8 at night. My youngest goes to bed and then I still have my oldest who is my night owl and would stay up until 10 if i let him. It's like I either have to get up a 4:30 to work out or work out at 9 at night. I'm not a mornign person so really 4:30 just isn't a realastic gaol for me. I need to sleep to stay healthy as well, just seems like I'm setting myself up to fail.

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Surely you get a lunch break. Try incorporating it into your lunch, go workout for 30 minutes and relax the other 30..
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    In reality, your not going to find the time, you have to make the time. Look at it this way. if you have a dentist appt. or something scheduled, you make time to make sure you get to that appt. right? The same thing goes for your workouts, schedule them as if they are just as important as anything else you schedule in your life. You have to make the time, not find the time. I am a mother of 5 so believe me when I know what you mean about time, but make it your priority and you will make it happen. :o)
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you can get a good answer, I would like to know too! I typically end up working out at 10 or 11 at night. I have a 3 year old night owl and i'm definitely not a morning person. I tend to sleep in a little later on the weekends to make up for the sleep deprivation throughout the week.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes, try doing something at lunch. But if 4:30 is all you got, then make it 4:30.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have 3 kids, all under 2 (twin girls that are 21 months and a 6 month old son) and I work full time. I exercise on my lunch breaks. I'm lucky enough to have a work gym with 45 minute $2.00 classes Tuesday - Friday. However, even if you don't have a work gym, you can always go for walks or jogs outside when the weather is nice. I know a few people here at my work walk inside the building when it's bad outside. You can also find a quite meeting room or something, shut the door, and exercise. See if you can get a co-worker to do it with you. That always helps. :happy:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    maybe just try to sneak some exercise into what you've got going on. Maybe a walk to the park with the boys, squats and lunges while cooking dinner, crunches while watching them in the tub, curls with cans while cooking, jogging in place while watching tv etc. :)

The days are getting longer and weather nicer so you can spend time on the weekends doing family friendly activities that keep you active. Lots of tag etc.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Are you a single parent? Do you have any friends or family members who can keep an eye on the kids while you work out? How about a gym that offers child care while you work out? I would also work on getting the oldest, who is still 3 or under, to bed no later than 830. This would give you time to work out at night as well as get a good nights sleep
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You sure do have your hands full! I agree - lunch break if at all possible.. You have to make the time somehow....you have to make YOU a priority!

5421845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Could you do something like JM 30 Day Shred? Since it's a REALLY intense workout but it's only 25 minutes (including warm-up and cool-down) it doesn't take much time. I know how you feel about being run ragged! I did it for years!!!!!! And I was overwieght the whole time!

If you really monitor your eating, you can start losing weight just from that. That's how I lost my first 30 pounds. I was suffering from a back injury and that was the only thing I could do then... just restrict my dieting. If you can do that during the week, maybe you could just work out on Sat. and Sun. Granted, it's not much, but 2 days a week is better than none!

Hope something works out for you! Try not to get too discouraged! Good Luck!
  • kmart20
    kmart20 Posts: 72
    Options
    I kind of have the same schedule but with only one kid right now. I work out at night at 8:30 or 9 after my kid goes to bed or if she is still up my husband watches her so I can workout, its the only time I can kind with my busy work schedule working out during my lunch break isn't an option since I pretty much eat at my desk and work though my lunch break.

My workouts are my stress reliever for me, my husband can tell when I haven't workout in a while, since I get crabby
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    By law you're allowed 2 breaks plus a lunch break. Get short workouts done during those times, every little bit helps. Then really step it up on the weekends.
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    I get up at 4:00am ever ymorning and exercise until 6. I get home in time for my husband to go to work. I have three boys all under the age of 7. So this is the only time I can go. Granted I am tired some days but so worth it. Good luck.
  • Renonvme
    Renonvme Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm having that same problem, but I think if we can sneak in 5 or 10 minutes of a workout a few times a day we will be successful!
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Only time I have to work out is if I wake up at 4am or I wait until the little one is asleep after 8pm.

So...I wake up at 4am and work out, or if I sleep in I work out after 8pm. Gotta do what you gotta do. No excuses.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My kids work out with me ( or they thinks they are) I give them my yoga mat pop in a work out dvd and off we go. Why not try to work out when your youngest goes to bet but your other child is still up? Its actually pretty fun ( "wow mom your really stong" even thow it is only 7 lb weights)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4am for my work outs. You make the time when you decide that you are serious about it.
    Good luck.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 and 3 yo and work full time. I feel your pain. Really I do. I workout during my lunch hour during the week and on the weekends go run/walk around the neighborhood. You have to MAKE time for yourself if you are really ready to lose weight.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    My situation is very similar. I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old. I have started getting up at 5:20 instead of 5:30 and doing 10 minutes of sit-ups, push-up, jumping jacks, squats just to get a few minutes in. I have also been walking on my breaks at work (about 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the afternoon). After the kids are in bed (usually around 8) I spend 15-20 minutes just stretching and sometimes do some of the same things as int he morning. I have lost 9 pounds in the first month and I it has been a combo of finding a few minutes here and there to be more active and making heathier choices in my eating habits. Best of luck to you
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I do it when my girls go to bed, which has been 9:30 lately. We just moved so when everything is set up I should be able to do it while they are still up - they love to watch me anyway. This is a new thing that I've not attempted many times, but I think it'll work now that my girls are almost 3.5. If not, I will continue trying to get it done when they go to bed, which fails half the time.

I can't get up early for the life of me and sleep is very important too!

I disagree on the comparison to dr appts though. That is not an everyday thing and I usually use vacation time away from work for those...I can't do that everyday just to work out.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    is there a reason you cannot do some workouts at home while your oldest is still awake? he could join you in them ..most lil ones love to imitate mum *S*