HEART RATE MONITORS

Options
2»

Replies

• Rastrohman
    Rastrohman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both have the Polar FT7. She has the women's model, but we haven't found any difference between the two. The chest strap fits her well. I've yo-yo'd for years with my weight, and I've found that the times I haven't had it, I'd gain weight. They do a great job of accurately counting calories and telling you how hard you are working out. I walked for months without one and only lost a few pounds. As soon as I got one, I realized I just wasn't being active enough. In the past month since I've had it, I've lost 23 lbs by just stepping up my routines and getting my heart rate a little higher. Ours were around $100. I've had some cheaper Reebok and Timex ones, and they worked well, but the Polar ones I've had were the best.

HT: 6'1"
    SW: 340 (1/1/2011)
    CW: 313
    1st GW:275
    2nd GW: 225
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

That article is excellent...and has led me to determine whether or not I'm going to go out and get one, actually. So you just saved me money! Thank you!
  • kswizzy
    kswizzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    WEll I couldnt say what the point of wanting one was because I was asking what they do and what the point of getting them is.

I"m worried about wearing it and it looking like this big bulky thing around my midsection...
    how do women weigh in the on how comfortable they are, and where/how they wear them?
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been interested to know some of these questions too. For now, I'm just glad to be getting any exercise squeezed into my schedule at all, but if I get into a more regular habit of it, I might look into investing in one.

Is the chest strap just a fabric or nylon adjustable strap with a buckle and the device itself attached? Do women wrap it above the cleavage, or below? Do you put it on before your sports bra, or after?

I've got a Polar FT60....it has training mode which I wanted...I got it for $160 at Amazon...
    The chest strap is worn below your bra....and I put it on last. It's made of leather and a stretchy material. The transmitter clips to the front of this strap. You rinse it off after every use... It can go in the washer as well. The strap is comfortable...and most times I forget it's there. My bra gives me more grief than the strap does. :bigsmile:
    It's well worth the price. I'm working out the proper way and tracking the calories burned correctly.
    You won't regret your purchase.
    Good luck!
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i have a polar FT4 ( purchased from ebay for $70) and i love it has a chest strap and watch very comfortable and i cant even tell its on under my workout clothes
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    WEll I couldnt say what the point of wanting one was because I was asking what they do and what the point of getting them is.

I"m worried about wearing it and it looking like this big bulky thing around my midsection...
    how do women weigh in the on how comfortable they are, and where/how they wear them?

The purpose (or point) of getting one is to monitor your calorie burn and it shows if you are pushing yourself and keeping yourself in the heart rate range that you want to be.

As for the chest strap, mine is very comfortable. I goes right under your breast and my sports bra goes right on top of it. Mine is a bowflex hybrid and it is the most comfortable out of the other models I tried on. It does calorie count, target heart rate below and above targets.

Hope this helps you some. It really is a great tool. I wouldn't work out without one after I've had mine for 3 months now.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Is the chest strap just a fabric or nylon adjustable strap with a buckle and the device itself attached?"

Depends on the make/model - Polars, at least FT models - are fabric/elastic + nylon type section; they are adjustable & the transmitter attaches/detaches. Polar straps can be washed.