Those without gym memberships.

Options
I used to have a gym membership but cancelled it because I cannot afford it anymore. To those not going to the gym, what do you do to help you lose weight and get into shape?

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Beachbody work outs like Insanity, P90X and ChaLEAN Extreme.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire & Nintendo Wii Fit
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit, 30 Day Shred, walking
  • ropedancer
    ropedancer Posts: 115
    Options
    I get exercise DVDs, either from the library or used off of half.com. Once the rest of the snow melts, I hope to do some walking outside as well.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K and I also have a Pilates Reformer at home (bought in better economic circumstances). I have some 8 pound weights, too.

Also have extended the dog's normal walks. ;)
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Outside workouts- Jogging/Walking, walking lunges, squats, etc. Get an exercise ball and weights and turn on some great tunes and work it!! I also do the WII fit sometimes to mix it up.
  • AlisonMacKay
    Options
    I walk every day and do wii fit and wii active ona a rotation. I am thinking about get zumba for wii too.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    30 day shred, now doing ripped in 30........never saying no to my son when he wants to play outside, which is every single day..lol.....
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    The pavement, my sneakers and http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I REFUSE to pay to be in shape (aside from my winter running clothes, which actually I mostly borrowed or asked for as presents :smile: )
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Checkout various workout videos from your local library.
    Fill an empty milk jug with water, if its a gallon jug you're looking at about 9 lbs for free weights, look into body-weight exercises that work multiple muscle groups at once, I'm leaning towards squats, pushups, pullups etc
    Walk around the neighbourhood, got a dog to walk? got a neighbour that has a dog that you can offer to walk? you win with the companion for the walk, neighbour wins by getting the dog an extra walk...

This weekend I'll be doing a lot of shoveling, and some chopping and splitting, so though I won't have gym access I'll have an even better workout than what I get out of the gym.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    If you have cable TV, check out the OnDemand section. Netflix also has a great selection of workouts too! If you're more self motivated that me, you can put together your own routines through magazines/websites like Shape. And, if you can't afford a good weight set just yet, canned food works pretty good.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    running & 30 Day Shred.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Running (treadmill) and free weights.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I walk or jog nearly every day plus I have a few workout DVDs (30-Day Shred, Burn Fat Boost Metabolism, Pure Burn Super Strength) and I also check out workouts on my cable providers free on-demand Exercise TV.
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    If you're strapped for money WALK, WALK, WALK at a brisk pace. My GF lost 90 pounds and spent "zero" money on exercise equipment. Walking can really take the pounds off and it's cheap. I walk and also have an old treadmill to walk on when it's bad weather. YOU CAN DO IT, just WALK!! :flowerforyou:
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    One member posted what she did in her Boot Camp Class and I've been doing it on my non-gym days and it's awesome!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183578-an-awesome-bootcamp-workout

Plus I can use it as a template to make other at home workouts. :)

Besides that I use Exercise TV all the time to find fun new workouts. I love changing things up, so it works well for that!
  • sbodi
    sbodi Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been using the game EA Active 2 for the Xbox Kinect, it really works you out and has a lot of variety of activites so you don't get bored! I also have been using websites with free workout videos on them. Libararies also have a pretty good selection of videos and they're free as well. Hope this helps a little.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I mix it up with running and various workout DVD's. Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Shred It With Weights, Yoga Meltdown. Biggest Loser - Bootcamp and Yoga DVDs. I haven't had a gym membership for years.
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    My dad has an elliptical in his basement so that, 30DS, walking, MyShape for wii, and most recently Xbox Kinect. Also going outside to play with my nephew.
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    If you have a local community center or rec center take a class...