Does Where Your Calories Come From Matter?

Options

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing you are. I really haven't been a "healthy eater" in the past and am trying to change my ways, but I find it hard to eat nothing but health foods. I have an awful sweet tooth and no matter how hard I try, I can't cut out those sweets from my diet. I'm down 9 lbs since I joined this site less than a month ago, but in the last week I haven't lost a single pound. I've been working out and not going over my calorie goal on a daily basis, yet I've stopped losing. I believe this might be because I've felt like I could allow myself a little more junk as long as I'm working harder, but it seems like substituting those celery sticks, carrots and peanut butter with a few Girl Scout cookies is not working in my favor even if I am staying under my calorie goal. I guess next week I'm back on a more strict diet and we shall see what happens when I step on the scale.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    You are not alone, but like I said you do not need to be a perfect dietary angel, yes you do need changes but look at it like this; If you were to start tomorrow clean house and go clean eating you would last maybe a week or 2 before you start sneaking in those bad foods. As a society we are salt/sugar/saturated food addicts. Its the give me what I want now quick fix. We all know its not working for us, but until you get so sick of it yourself and wean yourself off that quick fix drug that you will make that change permanent. Can you cheat while doing this? Sure you can, in fact I encourage you to do so, but limit it to no more than 1 day every 2 weeks.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes it matters, I can tell a difference when I eat more natural foods, less processed.. The more natural the better

I feel like i'm the only person in the world that feels like this, but I don't really feel all that different based on what I eat. A big mac vs. a salad? Yeah, i definitely feel better after the salad. But if I'm eating relatively low-calorie, I don't really feel better if I have a salad with protein vs. White Bread with Turkey.

It's what is does inside that is different. You are getting the nutrients your body needs to function when you eat a salad. White bread has all the nutrients removed and turkey cold cuts are full of sodium and also processed so the nutrients are removed.
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    When it comes down to it, your body sees calories as calories -- not as 'muffin' or 'hot dog' or 'sushi'. However, choosing more nutrient rich food over food that is just a combination of fat/carbs/sugars is much better for you. You can lose weight on a twinkie diet, if you get your calorie intake/outtake just right, but it won't be as good for you as a diet that is rich in fiber, lean proteins, whole carbs, etc.

But as I have heard, there are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets. Which is why although in the past few weeks I have had blueberry poptarts and hot pockets several times, I have still lost a few pounds. Calories in, calories out....don't eat too much junk food but it's okay to splurge a bit. You won't die from it.
  • SwissMaedel
    Options
    I hear it doesn't matter what you eat to lose weight, as long as you eat less calories than you burn.

However, you might not feel as good and your body might not be as healthy, even if you weigh less, if you are only eating processed foods.

I think you should always take a multi-vitamin and eat a good amount of fruits, vegetables, and multi-grains.

Your body still needs minerals and you get these from good whole foods.
    Your body also doesn't need a ton of extra fat and toxins which you get from super processed foods - like the kind that can sit in the pantry forever and never go bad. I try not to eat those foods.

I can't afford organic right now...I'd love to, but it's not in my budget. I do notice that organic carrots taste WAY better than non-organic, so occasionally I'll buy those organic, because they are pretty cheap still, and then I'll eat more veggies!

So, I try to keep it simple. I tried having a really strict vegan diet once, but then I found I wasn't eating enough. You have to do what works for you. If that means having the occasional lean cuisine, go for it! Even if it means having ice cream here and there...whatever...I think you should be allowed to eat anything, within moderation.

I will sometimes crave super junky food like really fried chicken. Then I'll get some. Then I'll feel so gross & greasy after eating it, I won't eat it for like 6 months. So it's all good. =)
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing you are. I really haven't been a "healthy eater" in the past and am trying to change my ways, but I find it hard to eat nothing but health foods. I have an awful sweet tooth and no matter how hard I try, I can't cut out those sweets from my diet. I'm down 9 lbs since I joined this site less than a month ago, but in the last week I haven't lost a single pound. I've been working out and not going over my calorie goal on a daily basis, yet I've stopped losing. I believe this might be because I've felt like I could allow myself a little more junk as long as I'm working harder, but it seems like substituting those celery sticks, carrots and peanut butter with a few Girl Scout cookies is not working in my favor even if I am staying under my calorie goal. I guess next week I'm back on a more strict diet and we shall see what happens when I step on the scale.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    You are not alone, but like I said you do not need to be a perfect dietary angel, yes you do need changes but look at it like this; If you were to start tomorrow clean house and go clean eating you would last maybe a week or 2 before you start sneaking in those bad foods. As a society we are salt/sugar/saturated food addicts. Its the give me what I want now quick fix. We all know its not working for us, but until you get so sick of it yourself and wean yourself off that quick fix drug that you will make that change permanent. Can you cheat while doing this? Sure you can, in fact I encourage you to do so, but limit it to no more than 1 day every 2 weeks.

That's what i'm doing! There's no way i can quit all the "junk" at once cos ill just feel deprived and go and eat a whole pack of oreos at once. So I allow myself 1 or 2 sweet/salty small treats a day and then slowly cut back from there.

But to get back on topic i know its confusing and frustrating for me cos i will look around at food diaries and see wendys and jack in the box and just genuine crap food on there daily and yet they are still losing. So i guess for some people it doesn't matter where the calories come from. But i know for me... it doesn't work that way, i have fast food and i will most def not see a budge in the scale that week.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I do think it matters but if you know yourself well enough to know a restrictive diet isn't going to work for you long term, making small changes are still going to make a difference. Eat as healthy as you possibly can without being deprived and don't beat yourself up about the little things.

Edited to add: Ha! Guess I took to long to respond - ditto to the above!
  • davidroth
    davidroth Posts: 11
    Options
    A few things based on the comments above....

1) For those of you saying that my diet seems very boring, you're right! But, I'm kinda picky so I stick with the healthy foods I like. And I know myself well enough to know I'm not going to do much, any cooking most of the time.

2) I see that some people say they feel better when they eat cleaner, but do you see a better result when it comes to your body? For instance, do you feel like you look better despite not having lost any/much weight? Because like I said above, I don't really notice a difference in how I feel if I eat raw/clean foods vs. just low calorie.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    When it comes down to it, your body sees calories as calories -- not as 'muffin' or 'hot dog' or 'sushi'. However, choosing more nutrient rich food over food that is just a combination of fat/carbs/sugars is much better for you. You can lose weight on a twinkie diet, if you get your calorie intake/outtake just right, but it won't be as good for you as a diet that is rich in fiber, lean proteins, whole carbs, etc.

But as I have heard, there are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets. Which is why although in the past few weeks I have had blueberry poptarts and hot pockets several times, I have still lost a few pounds. Calories in, calories out....don't eat too much junk food but it's okay to splurge a bit. You won't die from it.
    You can smoke crack and lose weight to, does not mean its healthy for you. But you do get the point that better diet means better results which is what counts.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    But to get back on topic i know its confusing and frustrating for me cos i will look around at food diaries and see wendys and jack in the box and just genuine crap food on there daily and yet they are still losing. So i guess for some people it doesn't matter where the calories come from. But i know for me... it doesn't work that way, i have fast food and i will most def not see a budge in the scale that week.
    Everyone can do it different ways, comparing yourself or your diaries does not work, you need to find what works for you. So its no ones place to judge what you put into your body, its up to you to make the right decisions all on your own, feel free to check out mine if you like, I try my best and I have lost 27 pounds in 3 months, but my primary goal is to feed my body right.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    1) For those of you saying that my diet seems very boring, you're right! But, I'm kinda picky so I stick with the healthy foods I like. And I know myself well enough to know I'm not going to do much, any cooking most of the time.

2) I see that some people say they feel better when they eat cleaner, but do you see a better result when it comes to your body? For instance, do you feel like you look better despite not having lost any/much weight? Because like I said above, I don't really notice a difference in how I feel if I eat raw/clean foods vs. just low calorie.
    1) Good for you, we all need to find what works for us, there is no one solid answer to our goals just the one that works for you.
    2) yes I no longer have that dragged out tired look, my family and wife think I am much easier going now and less stressed than before, my hair and fingernails are growing much faster, I have noticed fewer grey hairs around my temples, I rarely lack energy ever these days, my skin has cleared up and very rarely get any pimples.
  • shannonshock13
    Options

I notice a difference for sure! Big difference in my hair skin and nails and my eyes seem clearer.

A friend of mine has lost over 40 pounds by taking a pill and she eats pretty much ALL processed foods (lean cusines, white bread, things with tons of sodium in them) and even though she has lost over 40lbs and im super happy for her, i think i even though i have only lost 15-120 (and am still 30 pounds heaver than her) i look more proportionate, my skin is brighter, i have more muscle tone .

I am in no way saying that like "haha im still big but i feel i look better than you" but i really think that it has a lot to do with the way we both eat as well as body shape.
  • davidroth
    davidroth Posts: 11
    Options
    I should clarify so people aren't tempted to take things to the extreme. What I'm talking about is the occasional substituting foods here and there, but not really changing the total calorie intake. So instead of salad+chicken, eating a lean pocket. I'm not really talking about going from eating fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats to eating low-fat hot dogs, white bread, chex mix, and rice cakes.

I think overall, I'm getting a fairly well rounded diet. I'm eating fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats, fiber, and then I take a multi-vitamin/fiber/anti-oxidant supplements as insurance. I'm talking about substituting foods for variety/taste
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    overall the occasional substitute will not hurt no.
  • shannonshock13
    Options
    Everyone can do it different ways, comparing yourself or your diaries does not work, you need to find what works for you. So its no ones place to judge what you put into your body, its up to you to make the right decisions all on your own, feel free to check out mine if you like, I try my best and I have lost 27 pounds in 3 months, but my primary goal is to feed my body right.

I don't feel like im looking to compare, im looking just to look. If someone has their food diary open and if im bored then sure i may have a look. But i am in no way judging anyone cos what it is that they're doing is working for them! :bigsmile:
  • shannonshock13
    Options
    overall the occasional substitute will not hurt no.

agreed!
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would start by asking yourself.. Do you want to lose weight? or Do you want to lose weight, be healthy, live longer, and have more energy?
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    One thing Bill Phillips did advocate, though, was the "free day," because he knows that no one can slavishly follow a certain eating plan forever. That's why he build "cheating" into his lifestyle.

I think that in general, calories in/calories out is the balance we need....but the fact is that when people eat empty calories or other "bad" foods, they get hungry faster and easier, and thus end up overeating and gaining weight, and they can get headaches or be malnourished and develop diseases. When we eat better, whole, fresh, clean foods -- we are more satiated and don't tend to overeat, thus we stay healthy. We'll also feel better because we are more likely to be getting the vitamins and nutrients we need, have a more steady stream of energy, no crashes, and be stronger, etc.

So, to answer you question -- I think, yes, it does matter where your calories come from -- but we can't be perfect all the time and we shouldn't strive to be so. "Bad" foods exist because we like them and we should not deprive oursleves all the time. It won't kill us as long as we subscribe to everything in moderation.
  • brookesready
    brookesready Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I notice a difference for sure! Big difference in my hair skin and nails and my eyes seem clearer.

A friend of mine has lost over 40 pounds by taking a pill and she eats pretty much ALL processed foods (lean cusines, white bread, things with tons of sodium in them) and even though she has lost over 40lbs and im super happy for her, i think i even though i have only lost 15-120 (and am still 30 pounds heaver than her) i look more proportionate, my skin is brighter, i have more muscle tone .

I am in no way saying that like "haha im still big but i feel i look better than you" but i really think that it has a lot to do with the way we both eat as well as body shape.

I too have noticed all of the same things from eating clean, including increased energy. The sad thing about your friend is that she may lose the weight now, but as soon as she stops taking the pill she will gain the weight back and it will be harder to get it off later since her metabolism is getting screwed.
  • jackalope28
    jackalope28 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great question and I've enjoyed reading other people's perspectives.

I guess I view the question a little bit differently - sure, you can lose weight eating twinkies or organic carrots, but at the end of the day, aren't we all trying to be healthier? I think the argument about what's better nutrition-wise is a clear winner on carrots versus twinkies.

There's no one right way to lose weight, you do have to do what works for you, but I guess my two cents is that if you're going through the work to be losing weight, why not get healthier along the way?

As for getting bored with what you're eating, I agree with another poster's comment to pick up some books/mags on clean eating so it doesn't feel so restrictive.

Great topic!
  • zognorf
    zognorf Posts: 13
    Options
    It absolutely matters.
    Our own Denial and Rationalization, and Billions of dollars of advertising from some of the smartest marketers on the planet will try to tell us otherwise...but facts are facts.

Quality building materials build quality results. Shoddy foods lead to a shoddy body. The "twinkie guy", if he stuck to it, would develop diabetes in just a few short years. Everywhere you see processed foods, you see obese people--like myself--and health issues. Leaving processed foods, bad foods, instant foods behind was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

as to boredom? Invest in yourself...you're worth it...learn to cook good food. You'll feel better, you'll look better, and most important...You take control of what goes in you. Read the label on lean cuisine...the salt, chemicals etc?

Those are there to hide the fact that you're eating cardboard.