Hello from Jeannie

Options
Hello everyone,
I am a registered nurse and work as a Wellness Disease Case Manager for a large hospital. It is amazing to me that so many diseases are intensified by excess weight. Diabetes, heart problems arthritis...just to name a few can have debilitating effects as people let their weight get out of control. I am encouraging myself along with you to take the weight off right and keep it off for life!!!
I will be looking for great recipes and tips from all of you as we blog out of the fat pits!!

Replies

• canadianchickie
    Options
    Hi Jeannie - Welcome! I am new too, and think this site is fantastic. I agree - lifestyle choices have a lot to do with the plethora of diseases that wreak havoc on our bodies. I am lucky thus far, although I know that I must make healthy choices and lead an active lifestyle especially because cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis etc. all run in my family!! I am determined to make some lifelong changes, and get out of this very dangerous cycle of bad diet/no exercise rut that I have fallen into over a period of five months. Believe it or not, just by discontinuing exercise and eating whatever I wanted during that time, I have gained almost thirty pounds over the past seven months. (Ten of it was prior to that and more related to stress/and possibly the Mirena IUD I got in June of 2010.) I have never been this unhealthy or overweight in my life - and it scares the heck out of me! For the past three months I have been working out on average of 4 days a week, and changing my food habits (I am about 65% better and determined to continue to make changes). However, I haven't dropped a pound yet..... and I was getting really frustrated wondering why. Now this food journal has helped me to understand that it is possibly because I am still eating too many calories (approx 1500-1600 a day) and I need to decrease those calories to about 1300 to see the results I want to see.
    Anyway, good luck! I have done many years of personal research on effective exercise, vitamins, and diets - and hope to be of help if you need!
    A great dessert I just discovered is eating vanilla yogurt (0% Source), and layering it with a really thick smoothie blend (frozen strawberries, blueberries, and banana) and sprinkling some homemade granola (or blue menu) on top. Add walnuts for extra crunch! It is filling, and helps the 'sweet tooth' as well as a very popular summer treat!
  • JeannieVMiller
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement and recipe!!!! Great to hear from someone in my same boat!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello Jeannie!! Good to see another Jeannie here!! Welcome to MFP!!
  • JeannieVMiller
    Options
    Wow 173!!! What an encouragement!:smile:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: If one Jeannie can do it, I know another Jeannie can do it!!