Foods you miss from your past...

Options
robin52077
robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
Since moving away from my hometown (New Bedford, Massachusetts), I realized that there are a HUGE variety of things that I grew up on that NOBODY from anywhere else eats!!!

Where I am now, I can't get linguica, chourico, stuffed quahogs, malassadas, HooMee Chow Mein Mix...and only recently was I able to get my hands on the ever-coveted bottle of Autocrat Coffee Syrup!!!!
I also miss Kale Soup, and Cacoila. New Bedford was a mostly portuguese city and I grew up with ALL the good portuguese food.

Does anyone even know what any of that is? LOL

Does anyone have a list of their own? Stuff that you used to eat when you were little that you can't get where you currently live?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    A proper NY pizza. They really, really don't understand pizza on the west coast.
    A proper deli sandwich.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Boiled Custard.

Around Christmastime here in NC, these people drink "egg nog" and think it tastes good. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!! And they have never heard of Boiled Custard, bless their deprived souls.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My mom's tamales and my grandma's tortillas.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    We moved to AZ from TX about 7 years ago, there's lots that I miss from our home town. Bodacious BBQ, Gold N Chick Chicken Strips, Brian and Scotts Shaved Ice, Shakes Frozen Custard....the list goes on. Not that I would eat any of that stuff now on a regular basis, but it would be nice to have the option. If you know what any of this stuff is, you must be from East Texas, LOL
  • jmt50260
    jmt50260 Posts: 1
    Options
    Donuts.
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    I dont have anything i miss from childhood...but since starting my diet i miss tons of stuff! The most missed is ....... A GIANT DELI BAGEL WITH TONS OF CREAM CHEESE!! lol
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Oh and I totally forgot about Jimboy's Tacos.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    A proper NY pizza. They really, really don't understand pizza on the west coast.
    A proper deli sandwich.

Where on the WC are you Taso? If you are close to the Bay area there is this little Deli in Sausalito (called the Sausalito bakery and Cafe) they have pretty amazing sandwiches.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Are you Portuguese? (Kale Soup & Linguica)

edit: Never mind lol just read further down!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    A proper deli sandwich.

Where on the WC are you Taso? If you are close to the Bay area there is this little Deli in Sausalito (called the Sausalito bakery and Cafe) they have pretty amazing sandwiches.

Seattle. I hear food in the Bay Area rules.
  • shawnben
    shawnben Posts: 14
    Options
    Good Mexican food. Don't know why we woulddn't have that in the south (ha ha). Funny though, since starting this diet the one thing I have been craving is a bean barrito from Taco Bell. Go figure.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I miss Mimmere's meat pie. I mean lard crust, make with all pork, with a huge hunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese, cheese curds (preferable from the amish) and hot peppers on the side.....I can but won't make it now due to the mega fat content and the fact that my DH won't eat it so I would HAVE to eat the whole thing! Its also noteworthy that my Grandmother lived to be 89 years old and did not die from heart issues, but cancer:>{
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I miss things my Mom used to make. I have been married almost 30 years but my husband doesn't like casseroles, soups, stews - he is a very BORING eater, and I have adapted (2 of my 3 children (now grown) are picky eaters too). I miss veal chop suey, hamburger chop suey, macaroni and hamburger, student's ragout, scalloped potatoes corn and hamburger, tuna macaroni salad, all-in-one spaghetti, lamb stew, split pea soup, scalloped potatoes and ham, creamed ham & eggs on toast , chicken a la king, just to name a few. :cry:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't really miss anything now, but when I was living in London I missed Swiss Chalet chicken, flame grilled burgers and Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

Not that I should have been eating any of those things, but still.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    A proper deli sandwich.

Seattle. I hear food in the Bay Area rules.

Oh that's right....I knew that already, I just forgot >.<

Anyway, everywhere I went while I was out there ruled. Yum yum!
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    I am from NH and now live in Maryland. We moved all over the country while my husband was in the Marines. But every time I go home (we are going in April) I have to buy Ah-So sauce. For those who dont know what that is, its a sweet sauce used on chicken and ribs and in my family potatoes too!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I was raised in eastern PA and have yet to find a good ring balogna here and their idea of Scrapple around here sucks. Oh, and NOBODY here knows how to make a PROPER Philly cheesesteak... and I mean the ones that you get outside a Phillie's ballgame or around town. Other things for sure ....
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texas gal transplanted up north. Moviing to Canada was the WORST in missing my food. Even Oreo cookies didn't taste the same there. But now that I'm back in the States and still in the north, I have yet to find decent Mexican food (although I do make my own salsa) and Blue Bell ice cream is nowhere to be found. Probably a good thing.
  • HolleeERL
    Options
    :o)
  • HolleeERL
    Options
    I miss things my Mom used to make. I have been married almost 30 years but my husband doesn't like casseroles, soups, stews - he is a very BORING eater, and I have adapted (2 of my 3 children (now grown) are picky eaters too). I miss veal chop suey, hamburger chop suey, macaroni and hamburger, student's ragout, scalloped potatoes corn and hamburger, tuna macaroni salad, all-in-one spaghetti, lamb stew, split pea soup, scalloped potatoes and ham, creamed ham & eggs on toast , chicken a la king, just to name a few. :cry:

I hear you on that! My husband doesn't eat seafood of any kind - just a meat-n-taters kind of guy. I love to cook, but not for those who don't appreciate the good stuff!!