Trying hard not to weigh in too early.

Options
So I've decided to make Mondays my weigh-in days. I'm a few days away and I just can't wait to see some change. I'm really having trouble NOT stepping on that scale too soon, because I want to see the best results possible.

I actually measured my waist yesterday just to see if there's a change. I may have actually lose 1/2 an inch! I have trouble with those measurements though...should I be pushing my belly out? Just letting it fall naturally?

Hmmm

Replies

• oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    I put the scale in the trunk of the car. Only comes out the morning of weigh ins. Tough but it worked. AND when I finally did weigh this week...was down 1.6 lbs. That was so worth the wait without watching the ups and downs all week. Get the scale out of your line of view so you're not so tempted.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters how you measure your self as long as you do it the same way each time
  • Adam123456
    Adam123456 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh myself everyday first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I just record it once a week (Fridays). The reason I do it this way is because of a study I read a few weeks ago. Here is a cut and paste about it I found on google.

Weekly weigh-ins are a staple of many popular diet programs, but studies now show that daily weighing is the key to lasting loss. When researchers at the University of Minnesota monitored the scale habits of 1,800 dieting adults, they found that those who stepped on every day lost an average of 12 pounds over 2 years (weekly scale watchers lost only 6) and were less likely to regain lost weight. The reason: "The more often you monitor your results, the quicker you can catch the behavioral slip that causes weight gain," says Jakicic.

Everyday weigh-ins also make me aware of the general fluctuations in my weight so I don't stress if it goes up or down a little each day, so long as the general trend is down. It can also be a great motivator to do that little bit extra in the gym if you wake up slighty heavier than the day before after having that piece of chocolate cake. Anway, food for thought! Different things work for different people :)
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    oscelyn! I love it! I'm going to hide mine somewhere that i'm not tempted to grab it...like maybe put it at the bottom of my laundry basket and only take it out when i do my laundry on sundays :)

Adam, that's a great study. I'm definitely going to consider weighing in more often, but only after I see a little bit of change first. I don't want to get frustrated when the changes are small, or not at all!