Arm workouts for lean muscle?

Options
The backs of my arms have always been a problem area. Just as I am lucky that my face doesn't puff up when I put on a few pounds, I am also cursed to be stuck with these suckers no matter how much weight I lose. I have been doing quite a bit of yoga and a few machine exercises, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for building LEAN muscle in the upper arms? All the work outs I know of tend to bulk me up (I'm a bit of a mesomorph.) I'd die to have a slender, long dancer's body. Help!!!

Replies

• jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can check out the answers later and find the post easier since I want to know too. :D
  • sbrake
    sbrake Posts: 25
    Options
    bump. also a problem area for me
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    bump
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options
    Good to see other people have the same problem as I do haha
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    I do push up and (12 minutes) arm bike ( go backwards and forwards each 3 minute interval....

3160457.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    Problem areas = genetics. You can't spot reduce, only reduce your overall % body fat and HOPE the areas you want to reduce actually get smaller. For me, it's my upper thighs (pretty common for women). You CAN work our specific muscle groups (or areas) to improve muscle strength, but no workout will give you perfect thighs or thin arms except general weight loss. You can thank your genes for that!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    *punches genes in the crotch*
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I had a big problem with batwings for awhile - those suckers would flap in the breeze, I swear. When I googled for a solution I came across a site somewhere that suggested doing arm rolls, pumps and draws to tighten them up. If I could find it again I'd post the link but I'm not seeing it. Anyway, I started doing the arm exercises while walking, and they've worked pretty well for me, even at my age. They also help tone your abs.
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Hahahahaha.
  • roundisnotsquare
    Options
    Lower weight + more reps equals lean muscle. Change up speed. Do not just do up/down. Go quick down/slow
    up, etc. Add some tricep dips in there too.
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options

Hahaha, love this!
  • sbrake
    sbrake Posts: 25
    Options
    I had a big problem with batwings for awhile - those suckers would flap in the breeze, I swear. When I googled for a solution I came across a site somewhere that suggested doing arm rolls, pumps and draws to tighten them up. If I could find it again I'd post the link but I'm not seeing it. Anyway, I started doing the arm exercises while walking, and they've worked pretty well for me, even at my age. They also help tone your abs.

what do u mean by arm rolls, pumps and draws?
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options

:laugh: Thank you!

I like triceps kickbacks and skull crushers.
  • dtrm88
    dtrm88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options

My sentiments exactly.

Maybe I should just start dancing if I want that dancer's body! Haha
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JuniorTaitt
    JuniorTaitt Posts: 37 Member
    Options

LOL hilarious!!!

1) Pushups and dips are great for building tricep (behind the arm) strength and tone. Are you training at home or in a gym?

2) If you keep losing weight they will eventually go away, keep your protien level high to avoid that weight loss being muscle. More muscle will make your arm look firm.

3) Keep in mind that it is impossible to target fat loss on your arm or anywhere on your body. The most you can do is eat right,
    work hard and your body will reward you in its own way.

4) LOL unfortunately genetics do play an evil role sometimes but hey, don't let that stop you from trying, if you put up a good fight
    you can transform your body almost anyway you want it.
  • HurricaneJulia
    Options
    Thanks, everyone ^__^

I work out at home and at the gym. Mostly the gym, though.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Someone up there has it backwards... it should be higher weights, fewer reps. Check out the book "The new rules of lifting for women" if you are interested in Muscles. love this resource.
    I also second chair dips and pushups. :)
  • JuniorTaitt
    JuniorTaitt Posts: 37 Member
    Options