Is Pasta Good or Bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I eat plenty of pasta. Heck I try some variation of mac and cheese weekly. Shrimp, or turkey sausage, with broccoli or whatever. I did switch to whole grain but yeah I eat it. Still losing weight too.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I don't think pasta is terrible at all. Whole grains. low glycemic index carbs help keep your blood sugar from surging and really can be part of a well balanced diet. I tend to limit pasta to smaller portion - but would definitely not cut it out.
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I can't live without pasta!! I just make sure that if I have it for lunch that I don't have it for supper too....unless I have logged it ahead of time and I will stay within my calorie and carb totals allowed for the day. I love this site b/c it has me actually paying attention to how many calories are in everything! I do recommend the whole wheat Barilla pasta...my hubbie even says he likes it better than the regular pasta and it's so much healthier! Good luck from one pasta lover to another!! :)

5616024.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    We only eat whole grain pasta..........We love pasta. No issues of pasta impedance here either. MODERATION!! Eat the proper serving! 2oz of pasta is A LOT!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's TERRIBLE!
    I don't mean to pick on this particular answer, but it bothers me how so many folks tend to give human qualities to food. (e.g. good, bad, terrible, awful, etc.) Food is food. It is not good or bad. How we prepare it and how much we eat might be "good" or "bad" for our health, but food isn't the culprit here. I understand what most people mean (it is bad for me to eat too much of ...) but it seems sometimes our attitudes about food is the problem... I would be interested in how others feel about this topic.

I would have to disagree with you there. There are certainly better choices in any item, including pasta. Calling it bad or terrible just denotes that it is not the best choice. Pasta is a notoriously high calorie food, it is one of the problem foods in my opinion because you can eat a ton of calorie worth of it before your body can give you the signal to stop.

I like the idea of treating pasta as a side dish instead of the main course.
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love pasta too. And I do not believe there is anything unhealthy abouat pastat. If you are watching carbs I guess there are lower carb pasta products you can buy.
    But weight comes off when calories in are less than calories out. I control my pasta calories by using a tool that measures serving and only cooking one serving of pasta at a time or buying frozen spaghetti, with calories listed or buying fresh pasta and looking at the calories on the package and cooking the amount that fits into my calorie goal. In other words, I control the quanity. I make sure I eat protein but do not worry about measuring carbs.

With a restricted calorie diet I know I am not overloading myself with carbs. If you are restricing carbs, you may not be able to eat regular pasta. Personally, I want to be able to eat in a way that I can continue when I am no longer need to lose weight. I know I am not going to give up pasta for llife.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a high carb diet. As long as you continue to stay under your mantinence calories you will loose weight. Personally I try to eat about 400g of carbs per day. The biggest problum with a high carb diet is that since carbs are digested and burned so much quicker than fat or protien it is very easy to eat too much. So watch your portion.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a high carb diet. As long as you continue to stay under your mantinence calories you will loose weight. Personally I try to eat about 400g of carbs per day. The biggest problum with a high carb diet is that since carbs are digested and burned so much quicker than fat or protien it is very easy to eat too much. So watch your portion.

Exactly. A lot of athletes eat high carb diets, and well, they look like they're in awesome shape to me. :wink:
  • hannahwhite17
    Options
    Wow guys! Thanks for all the help and suggestions! This is why I love MFP.