Fat Englishman says Hi!

Options
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and give a bit of an introduction in the hope that some kind souls will give me a few words of encouragement...

My name is Neil and I am overweight. Okay, I’m fat. I live in Yorkshire, England, and recently turned 40, which for some reason seems to make this all the more important.

I REALLY want to lose weight. I have been a professional yo-yo dieter for the last decade, swinging from as high as 284 lbs to a grand (brief) low of 224 lbs. I have tried pretty much every diet out there, with varying degrees of success, only to pile on the pounds as soon as the diet ends.

I know how much damage all this yo-yoing has done to my metabolism. I changed my entire diet strategy about a year ago, opting for a balanced diet with fewer cheats and plenty of exercise – it paid off as I have lost a total of 46 lbs so far.

I am an ex bodybuilder, and still enjoy hitting the weights at least three time a week. I also walk, run, row and cycle as often as possible. I eat a fairly sensible diet, usually with one “cheat” meal per day – a meal that isn’t ideal, yet falls in line with my caloric requirements.

I stumbled upon the myfitness Android app whilst researching an alternative to spreadsheets and notebooks and I have to say that I am mightily impressed with what is on offer here. This fits in perfectly with my daily regime – the app is awesome!

I have another 30 lbs to go before I reach my goal. It has been a very long journey thus far and hopefully, with MFP’s help, I will finally accomplish my dream – to be slim again!

Thanks for reading...

Replies

• skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my fitness pal. You will find plenty of motivation and encouragement on this site. :smile:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Welcome. It's a helpful environment here and I know you will do well.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
    You will find this site to be the most inspirational and motivational group of individuals of all shapes, sizes and ages from around the world. It has become my lifeline while taking on the challenge, yet again, of losing weight.

Send out friend requests and keep coming back everyday. Before you know it the inspiration and motivation will become part of your daily quest.

It's working for me and I hope it works for you.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place, this is a great community. Good luck on your journey.
  • Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome,
    This site is wonderful and so motivating! You will find all you are looking for - if not just ask!

Best of luck on your journey to success!
    Add me as a friend - I need all the help I can get :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and feel free to add me as a friend if you need support. You can do it!
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses - I'm overwhelmed! Really pleased I signed up...

It has gone 1am over here and it has been a long day so I am gonna hit the sack. I will send out friend requests in the morning to all those who have been kind enough to offer.

Thanks again.

g'night...
  • JaXXster
    JaXXster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Neil. I too stumbled across the Android App, I'm only two weeks in but have found MFP so much more helpful and informative than many of the diet clubs I have been to ... and its not about 'dieting' is it? It's about eating healthily and changing the way we approach food. I have eaten more food and consumed more water in the last two weeks than I had over the month prevously AND I lost weight - it's a miracle!!!

Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey ... Good Luck!!
  • gigigirl13
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I have been on here for 3 weeks and met some very nice people. Sounds like you have been working very hard already and seeing what you eat and exercise really has helped me. So feel free to add me as a friend if you want. So happy you are here. With so many people here that care and can relate it can only help right!
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome from a fellow Yorkshire-ite! ( I am in Essex now, but Yorkshire at heart still).

I'm finding the site and the people on here a constant inspiration and motivation. Never thought I would enjoy losing weight so much. I seem to have the food approach working, just now need to sort myself out with some exercising.

Enjoy and do add me if you like.

Alison