I'll take WTF for 1000, Alex.

Options
First let me start by saying my scale is accurate. It's all digital, auto-zeroing, blah blah blah with fresh batteries.

I weighed in at 164 yesterday and was happy because my weight was maintaining.

Yesterday, activity-wise, I walked, danced and jogged. The jog was much more intensive than I'm used to (to the point that I'm sore today). I didn't eat excessively, but my food was high in sodium yesterday. I also drank an excess of water.

This morning I got up to go to work... 11 pounds! I somehow gained 11 pounds since yesterday morning.

I'm so confused and discouraged.

WTF? Insights?

Thanks in advance...
-Rain

Replies

• jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm sure it's not all water because that would be 1.5 gallons. Did you have the same clothes on? I always weigh in my underwear, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. And if I thing the reading is not correct, I weigh again.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Similar happened to me. Bump
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Some of it is probably water in your muscles, which ends up in them along with glycogen after hard workouts. So that could be a few pounds.

The sodium also probably forced a bit of water retnetion, so there are another few!

What and when you last ate, whether you'd emptied your bowel, whether you'd consumed an liquids, etc. will all also mess with the scale.

My guess is that what you saw (though momentarily startling) was mostly water. The rest would be differences in time of day and what you ate and when you last eliminated.

And P.S. this is why I consider daily weighing to be extremely bad for mental health! :tongue:
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Theory's

Because you worked out so much and are sore, your retaining water and are bloated?

You have heavy clothes on

If you were female I would blame in on your cycle...but that's a no go

Lets face it, I got nothin....WTF....Can't you just do a do over tomorrow.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Shake it off...Wait a couple days and jump back on...Don't let it get to u...you will be sorry:(
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    believe it or not sometimes the way you step on those digital scales can change your weight some. i have one of those digital scales as well and am finding it to be off some. Just by looking down at your weight while it is still processing can change it 4 pounds. Try to just stand relaxed looking straight ahead. Wait a couple seconds for it to register and then look at it. My scale usually has me 5 to 6 lbs lighter than the one at the doctors office. Since you did drink a lot of water you might not of had a chance to get rid of some of it.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible to gain 11 pounds in a day. Period. There are myriad reasons why that could've happened.
    1. You weren't wearing the exact same clothing you wore the day before.
    2. The scale wasn't in the exact same spot it was when you weighed in last.
    3. You stood differently on the scale than you did the day before.
    4. Water retention.
    5. The scale is broken.
    6. You have bad eyesight and saw it wrong either today or yesterday. :wink:

No matter what it was, there is no reason to freak out. A healthier life shouldn't be about a day, a week, a month or even a year really. It should be about just that a healthier LIFE.

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep your head up and SMILE!
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I check my scale with a 10 lb weight to make sure it is accurate. Mine is also digital and sometimes I catch it being off by 2-3 lbs.
    Also make sure you are not weighing on carpet.
    Hope this helps!!!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would move the scale. Depending on where you sit mine is how much I weigh. It has to do with my floor I guess.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    I weigh-in nude @ the same time each day (after all wastes have been eliminated). I had someone else weigh in on the scale and it's still accurate for them.

I'm hoping it's just water retention.
  • danlyn
    danlyn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just got rid of my scale and ordered a new one. I wish I had read reviews of the one I initially bought because most people said that it was ridiculous the way it would show a different weight each time you stepped on it. If I stepped on it 4 time, it showed 4 different weights. The one I had was the "biggest loser" scale, digital type. The one I've ordered got great reviews and I'm hoping it works better than the last one.
    Don't get discouraged. Blame it on the scale and stay focused. Good luck! BTW, I LOVE your topic line - very clever:laugh:
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    check and see if anything was under your scale. once, a little spoungey toy of my daughters was undermine and that happend to me. rest assured whatever it is. it is not 11pounds of fat overnight. :D
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try it again now ... now that it's been another few minutes ... and see if it's still 11# over. If so, then something happened with the SCALE (not you) either yesterday or today to cause that change. But it's not you. Eleven in one day is not physically possible. That's a gallon and a half of liquids. Or it's 42,000 (yes thousand) calories.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    It's down 1 pound now, but still 10 pounds up.
  • sherrismith82
    sherrismith82 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just remember muscle weighs more than fat!!! When you gain muscle, thats when you APPEAR to have gained weight. The best tool for you, atm is not the scales, but the tape measure. Thanks for letting me post nd good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • sherrismith82
    Options
    *and*
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just remember muscle weighs more than fat!!! When you gain muscle, thats when you APPEAR to have gained weight. The best tool for you, atm is not the scales, but the tape measure. Thanks for letting me post nd good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

My guess is that it was wrong the day before somehow.
  • sherrismith82
    Options
    My bad. But thats what I have always heard.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My bad. But thats what I have always heard.

You were on the right track. Muscle takes up less volume than fat, pound for pound. Like the old joke asking "Which weighs more, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?", both weigh the same but take up dramatically different amounts of space (or volume).

That's why it's often recommended to pay more attention to your measurements or bodyfat percentage than your scale weight (as you had also recommended).
  • sherrismith82
    Options
    Thank-you for explaining that to me :) Have a great day/night (which ever applies).