Should I just be more patient?

Options
Hey guys! I started my weight loss journey officially on January 1, 2011. I'm 5'9 and I started at 179 pounds. Today, I weigh 165.2 pounds.

My stomach has slimmed down so much, which is great, but I primarily carry my weight around my thighs and hips. I was wondering when I'll be able to notice more in the legs? What has your experience been? I've heard mixed things, like 10 pounds brings you down a pants size, which is ALMOST the case for me. Those darn thighs are just getting smaller soooo slowly. I've lost about 3.5 inches in my thighs in almost 3 months. Any tips? I love cardio and aim to do that for 60 minutes a day (elliptical, stair master, running, etc). Do you guys have any strength training tips as well?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success thus far!!

I've heard that the last place you put on the weight is the first place it'll come off. Sounds like your waist/abs came off quickly, so that may have been where you put on your last 10-15 pounds. Since you said that your hips/thighs have always been a problem area, those may be the last places you see a huge difference.

Have you started any strength training? In about 3 months, I lost 3-4 inches off of each thigh! Something to consider...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges. I hate them so much...
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of weighted squats and lunges....that might help you. But be careful with how much weight you do because to much will bulk you up with muscle and it doesn't sound like that is where you want to go. Good luck, and 3.5 inches in 3 months sounds great, your definetly moving in the right direction!
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for slimmer legs would be pilates. It will help burn calories and build muscle tone, but the muslces will be a different shape. Running will take the weight off, but you'll be building up muscle in the legs rather quickly and thus it will sort of take the place of the fat you lose and you'll notice a difference later as the rest of the fat comes off.
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey there
    Just read your post......I started Jan 10/11....I am 5'8" and currently weigh 174. You sound like you have the same body shape as I do....I am quite tiny waisted but carry my weight in my legs and thighs. Unfortunately....even when I weighed 140....my thighs and upper legs were still my largest area. I think accepting our body shape is key.....however at a lower weight...your legs and thighs will be much smaller. At 174....my current weight.....my legs and thighs seem HUGE to me and it is still very difficult to buy pants.....I need a different size for my legs/thighs than my waist....lol I don't know how much weight you want to lose but I found under 150....my legs/thighs were proportionate enough to fit nicely in pants.....lol You are an inch taller than I so 140 may be to slim for you. Cardio burns fat.....and stored fat cannot be turned into muscle....it has to be eliminated!! My suggestion to burn the excess fat on your thighs/ legs is to keep up with the cardio!!! I'm not sure what your diet looks like but 60 minutes a day seems quite excessive!! Be careful not to burn out!!!
    Good luck to you.....not sure if any of this has helped.....if anything, just know that there are plenty of us out there with the same problem thighs/legs as yourself and learning to love our bodies for the shapes they are is the best thing we can do for ourselves. But a lower weight will mean a smaller leg....lol
    PS - Find yourself a great seamstress and love her for life!!! lol She can be your best friend!!! Buy your pants to fit your legs and have the waistline altered.....a good seamstress can do this and it will never be seen by others =D
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My weight is the most stubborn in the hip and thigh area as well. Unfortunately, it is the last to come off in people like us. But when you get to your goal weight you'll (hopefully) start feeling a little better about them. Even at my goal weight though I still have always hated my thighs :( But I've come to terms with the fact that is genetics and my body shape that I don't like and I can't really do a whole lot about it...
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    Anything over 1lb lost per week on average is EXCELLENT. Don't sweat it!
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Women in general keep fat around their hips and thighs the longest.... It's super annoying, I know because I've been trying to cut them down for months. Then last month I discovered 3 major weapons: the elliptical, lunges, and swimming. Doing all three each week have worked miracles.I haven't really cut down the fat but now my thighs have huge muscles that I can actually see.

Here's what I did:
    Monday 1-3 hour of swimming laps: freestyle ( I swam on a team so I wouldn't suggest starting out with 3 hour workouts without being previously trained)
    Tuesday: Strength training on the Wii including 2 sets of Lunges (and 1 set of anything else that worked my thighs)
    Wednesday: same as tues.
    Thursday: 1 hour of the elliptical level 8-15 hills
    Friday: I choose anything I did previously.

I also walk to campus most weekdays. On tues and wends I walk there and back to my apartment. It's 4 miles there and back.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the suggestions offered here;but the reality is you can not spot reduce any part of your anatomy short of liposuction! You are going to lose where your body wants to loose. Keep up the good work and just know that eventually you will reach your goals.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    your body will store fat to burn later your abs are the place it likes it best but it's also the first stored fat it burns, muscle will burn fat so like others have said and kind of leg workout will help burn the fat in that stored place, in my opinion I dig muscular thights.
  • kblau
    kblau Posts: 38
    Options
    Congrats on your success thus far!!

I've heard that the last place you put on the weight is the first place it'll come off. Sounds like your waist/abs came off quickly, so that may have been where you put on your last 10-15 pounds. Since you said that your hips/thighs have always been a problem area, those may be the last places you see a huge difference.

Have you started any strength training? In about 3 months, I lost 3-4 inches off of each thigh! Something to consider...

Thanks so much! That definitely makes sense because when I started gaining weight, it was mainly in the thighs and later on in my stomach. I'm definitely a pear shape. I hope to see a difference in the next 10 pounds! I'm not familiar with any great strength training exercises, so that's why I haven't done a ton of strength, but I've heard a lot of great things about it and how beneficial it is for weight loss. and great job on those inches!
  • kblau
    kblau Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! Do you have any strength training tips and/or exercises? I'm not skilled in that department, so any ideas would be helpful. :)

Also, I'm not trying to spot reduce. I completely understand that in losing weight, it'll come off where it does and eventually will come off on the areas I want it to. I was just wondering when I would start to notice it more on my legs.

Thanks MsPitt!
    Women in general keep fat around their hips and thighs the longest.... It's super annoying, I know because I've been trying to cut them down for months. Then last month I discovered 3 major weapons: the elliptical, lunges, and swimming. Doing all three each week have worked miracles.I haven't really cut down the fat but now my thighs have huge muscles that I can actually see.

Here's what I did:
    Monday 1-3 hour of swimming laps: freestyle ( I swam on a team so I wouldn't suggest starting out with 3 hour workouts without being previously trained)
    Tuesday: Strength training on the Wii including 2 sets of Lunges (and 1 set of anything else that worked my thighs)
    Wednesday: same as tues.
    Thursday: 1 hour of the elliptical level 8-15 hills
    Friday: I choose anything I did previously.

I also walk to campus most weekdays. On tues and wends I walk there and back to my apartment. It's 4 miles there and back.

It IS super annoying! I'm definitely gonna try out the lunges. I love the elliptical and I'm gonna start going to the gym again now that I have more time. have you heard of air alert? I've heard some good things about that and was considering starting that.