Determining Calories on Home-made Stuff

Options
I really like making my own food, especially soups. Determining the calories in individual food items that you put in the soup is easy. However, once it is all in there how do you determine the calorie count on one cup of your creation? I would love some feedback.

Replies

• oldbag
    oldbag Posts: 13
    Options
    I really like making my own food, especially soups. Determining the calories in individual food items that you put in the soup is easy. However, once it is all in there how do you determine the calorie count on one cup of your creation? I would love some feedback.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

Here you go. May all your calorie counts be low.:flowerforyou:
  • createsure
    Options
    It may be a pain to do, but if you can somehow measure the total amount of soup in cups after you have made it, it is simple math to determine the per cup calorie count. Maybe transfer the soup from the pot you cooked it in to another pot using a measuring cup. Like I said, it might be a pain to do, but you'll have a very accurate calorie count.
  • oldbag
    Options
    Thank you. This is a great web site. I appreciate the tip.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    gotta love sparkpeople!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I add all of the ingredients to a meal list.
    IE My Veggie Soup.
    and I split it out to 1/4 cup each.
    For example I count the mixed veggies as 1/4th there is about 1/4 cup noodles in there. and there is about a 1/4 cup broth in there.
    give or take, it is pretty right on the money with what a cup of store brand veggie soup is.
    Now with Chicken soup, I do the meat by oz. meaning that in a cup of chicken soup there is about an oz to 2 ozs in 1 cup, 1/2 cup of noodles, and 1/4 vegies and 1/2 broth.
    I hope this is not too confussing. :ohwell:
    --Diann...
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sparkpeople site. I was doing it by hand, this will save me a LOT of time.:smile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I don't measure. So I never know how much of anything I toss in when making soup. What I've been doing is just find recipes that are similar to what I made and go with that.
  • pumpkin
    Options
    Amazing! Kinda scared to see how much some of the old stuff I used to make cost in calories...Thank You
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That site was totally rockin awesome!!!!! Thank you!:love::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • oldbag
    Options
    No, it's not confusing. Thank you