Ladies only: Question about Mirena IUD - any experience with

Options
I had the Mirena IUD inserted last year, early summer. However, ever since I have had MAJOR challenges losing weight although I have completely transformed my diet and exercise routines.
I am consulting the doctor on Thursday about having it removed, has anyone went through anything similar? Is it easier to lose weight after it is removed?

Thanks!

Replies

• Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena since Fall of 08 and I've never had any side effects at all except occasional cramping. There is supposed to be such a small amount of systemic hormones that it shouldn't affect weight loss. It hasn't for me or anyone I know that has it.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I also haven't had any issues with losing weight but each person is different and your doctor will be the best person to tell you whether that's what's hindering your efforts. :smile:
  • nikkigiesige
    Options
    I have had the mirena for 4 years...I weighed 170 when i got it and then after a year of having it i started working out and dieting to lose 40 lbs...in the last 2 year i have put back on 25 of those lbs and now i am working on getting it off again. I can't say that it is harder to lose, but i dont think i would have gained all that weight if i wasnt on mirena. alot of people notice weight gain on it...not necessary large amounts, but many do...but thats usually how it is with many birth controls
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It hasn't effected me, but it effects everyone differently. I agree, the hormones in that thing shouldn't effect anything. The main point of the thing is the IUD part, I think the hormones are just a side fun part. I'm not sure, but I think even the hormones in there may rival the mini-pill.
  • Teamfiregrace
    Options
    I have had mine since Jan. 2008 and have had more challenges to losing weight since having baby #4, but I just figured it was because I am in my mid-30s now. Keep me posted on what the Dr. says, please! :smile:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    I have been talking to my dr about getting it taken out as well. He says is could be the reason that I am can seem ti loose anymore weight. My friend got hers taken out and lost 30lbs doing NOTHING. But I know everyone is different. I have never had any other complications, It's just frustrating having to work so much harder than others to loose weight.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    It hasn't effected me, but it effects everyone differently. I agree, the hormones in that thing shouldn't effect anything. The main point of the thing is the IUD part, I think the hormones are just a side fun part. I'm not sure, but I think even the hormones in there may rival the mini-pill.

it's not the hormones, its the fact that it basically tricks your body into thinking it is pregnant by not allowing the eggs to be released, so your body finds the need to store more calories and fat then normal (from my understanding)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've had symptoms in terms of weight gain (I've been on it for 4 years) and, in fact, I have no symptoms whatsoever. A friend of mine, however, had terrible issues with weight gain, mood swings, and out of control cravings. It was hard to believe that we were on the same thing. I think its completely possible that the Mirena is making it harder for you to lose. I'd talk to your doc and may be try other options.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I cant do hormones cuz i was on the depo shot before and i was moody and gained all kinds of weight so after i had my son i told my doc that i wanted birth control with no hormones and she mentiond the IUD paraguard it copper and has no side affects what so ever i just recently got it taken out cuz we want another kid but i would like to lose weight first.....so u should ask ur doctor about the paraguard if u still want birth control!!!!!
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Once I got serious about losing weight it hasn't been an issue for me.
  • canadianchickie
    Options

it's not the hormones, its the fact that it basically tricks your body into thinking it is pregnant by not allowing the eggs to be released, so your body finds the need to store more calories and fat then normal (from my understanding)

I have gained thirty pounds since the IUD, but I know that is partially b/c of some stressors in my life, and from Sept-Dec I ate what I wanted, when I wanted + I didn't exercise at all. From some of the things I have read I about women's experiences, it is blamed as the culprit. The IUD was a painful experience and it is very expensive ( My health coverage is good so it only cost me $4 seriously! But ppl with no coverage pay $500-$700 for the darn thing). I am fearful of having it removed, and I do not know for certain if it is in fact why I am struggling so much. For three months I have been working out at the gym and pushing myself hard and have improved my diet by about 50% from the sept-dec time. Yet, not one single pound has come off of me. MFP should help me to be more accurate and accountable so I can truly know. I agree that the progesterone and estragen tricks the body into being preggo, and many people (no matter what form of B/C) will gain an average of ten pounds and it is very difficult to lose this weight. But 30? And why is it so so so difficult for me to lose this weight? It makes simple sense that if one reduced their caloric intake, increases their exercise they should be able to shed a few pounds....
    Arg... so hard to know what to do.... I want to take more time and be able to present my GP with my food diary and exercise regime, but at the same time I don't want to further delay losing weight if it is indeed the culprit. Helpful to know that your friend lost 30 lbs after it was removed...
    I will definately give an update on this one after I talk to the GP.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to go on the shot? That causes major weight gain in most women and is sometimes used before mirena. Anyway, I had both 10 yr hormone free copper iud and 5 yr hormone mirena with little to no issues. Some bloating after intercourse. I have essure now and love it! But its permanent birth control so not for everyone.
  • canadianchickie
    Options
    yes I used to be on the depo provera shot... no effects ....

however, i had a breast scare, and the nurse practitioner said that a link between breast cancer and depo was being investigated! I was scared enough to discontinue it....
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It took about 18 months after last shot before my body got back to normal. Its poison and should be taken off the market.
  • Caroline9252
    Options
    Check out the copper iud - paraguard. Hormone free and can last up to 10 years. I've had great sucess with it ;)
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    yes I used to be on the depo provera shot... no effects ....

however, i had a breast scare, and the nurse practitioner said that a link between breast cancer and depo was being investigated! I was scared enough to discontinue it....

i gained over 0lbs on depo. ew. but i didn't know that! scrary! Def keep me posted after you talk to your dr cause i'm kind of in the same boat. but then i think... stay frustrated and fat or get prego haha
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    70lbs*
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No problems, Will be 5 yrs in Oct...Love not having a period for the last three years too
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    No problems, Will be 5 yrs in Oct...Love not having a period for the last three years too

Yeah, I got mine while I was breastfeeding. So I hadn't yet had a period....I haven't had a period since Oct. 07!! The cramps can be awful sometimes, but I figure it's the trade off for not having a period.
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and have had it for coming up on two years. My first year of having it I gained 20 pounds--this is not to say that the IUD had any say in that as I also was dealing with a lot of other stuff that lead to inactivity and bad habits. I have since started really tracking all of my calories and doing at least 7 hours of cardio a week and have lost around 10 pounds in 3 months and 10 in the past year.

I would talk to your mom or the women in your family to see if there is any history of hypothyroidism. Have your thyroid checked to see if you're hormones are in balance as that is the more likely culprit if you're truly eating well and working out. Or see a nutrionist/doctor to talk about the struggle you're having--they usually can tell you a more persoanlized way to get the results you want for your body.

Hope you start to see the results you want!