Foods you miss from your past...

Options

Replies

• Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I dont have anything i miss from childhood...but since starting my diet i miss tons of stuff! The most missed is ....... A GIANT DELI BAGEL WITH TONS OF CREAM CHEESE!! lol

You and me both! Ugh that sounds so good right now!
  • Hannahrenee86
    Options
    I am from southeastern PA now living in southern AZ/soon to be Japan. I miss shoofly pie, good Philly cheesesteaks, turkey hill ice cream and drinks, Pine View Diary ice cream, tastycakes, Shady Maple buffet etc
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I miss things my Mom used to make. I have been married almost 30 years but my husband doesn't like casseroles, soups, stews - he is a very BORING eater, and I have adapted (2 of my 3 children (now grown) are picky eaters too). I miss veal chop suey, hamburger chop suey, macaroni and hamburger, student's ragout, scalloped potatoes corn and hamburger, tuna macaroni salad, all-in-one spaghetti, lamb stew, split pea soup, scalloped potatoes and ham, creamed ham & eggs on toast , chicken a la king, just to name a few. :cry:

I hear you on that! My husband doesn't eat seafood of any kind - just a meat-n-taters kind of guy. I love to cook, but not for those who don't appreciate the good stuff!!

No seafood here either! My son (now 26) is the only one except me who likes seafood. If it wasn't for the occasional seafood meal that I get when we eat out, I would feel even more deprived!
  • sticki
    sticki Posts: 9
    Options
    I am from Ireland and I miss Tayto cheese and onion crisps, Cadbury's chocolate, Fish and Chips from the chipper - served in a brown paperbag and dripping with vinegar and I miss the curry from our local Chinese! Good job i moved to the US or I'd be as big as a house!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sticki - no fatty foods in North America. :tongue:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Tex Mex sucks!!! I miss real mexican food, not this stuff covered in gravy.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Toronto

Calabrese Salami

but spent a lot of time in Montreal..

Poutine
    Gibby's House salad
    Steamies
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Great answers,and I know what about half of it is!:laugh:

Someone mentioned shoofly pie...I would very much like to know what that is.:huh: I keep picturing cutting open a pie crust and having tons of flys fly out...and I KNOW that's not right!:laugh:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options

Someone mentioned shoofly pie...I would very much like to know what that is.:huh: I keep picturing cutting open a pie crust and having tons of flys fly out...and I KNOW that's not right!:laugh:

I forgot to mention that one. It's a pie made with molasses as an ingredient in the filling. Kind of gooey on the bottom and the crust is kind of a Northeast thing as well. Really good pie!! Pennsylvania Dutch thing really.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the Seattle area where we could go get (catch/dig/net) all the fresh seafood and lake trout you could carry. Now I am in Maryland and if it isn't a crab, you are not going to get it. The "fresh" salmon here is all farmed fatty stuff, the oysters taste oily, and they have never heard of prawns. If I speak of goeyduck, razor clams, butter clams, crawdads, flounder, rainbow trout, or any of the other non mainstream items, I get looked at weird.
  • robin52077
    Options

I forgot to mention that one. It's a pie made with molasses as an ingredient in the filling. Kind of gooey on the bottom and the crust is kind of a Northeast thing as well. Really good pie!! Pennsylvania Dutch thing really.

hmmmm...why does the thought of a gooey molasses pie not appeal to me? Nope, don't want to try it...
    I could be very wrong though!
  • robin52077
    Options
    I grew up in the Seattle area where we could go get (catch/dig/net) all the fresh seafood and lake trout you could carry. Now I am in Maryland and if it isn't a crab, you are not going to get it. The "fresh" salmon here is all farmed fatty stuff, the oysters taste oily, and they have never heard of prawns. If I speak of goeyduck, razor clams, butter clams, crawdads, flounder, rainbow trout, or any of the other non mainstream items, I get looked at weird.

OMG yes, fresh seafood.
    New Bedford was a HUGE fishing port and we could get stuff right off the boat down at the docks at like 5AM. Back a couple hundred years ago NB was the biggest Whaling Port in the WORLD. We aren't the "Whaling City" for nothing.
    In fact, Moby **** was set there.
    In the book, they mentioned a preacher preaching from a pulpit shaped like the bow of a ship, with a view down Water St. to the docks...that is the Seaman's Bethel, a small non-denominational chapel downtown. My son was christened on that bow-shaped pulpit.:happy:

I'm rambling....guess I'm homesick....sorry...

edit: OMG they starred out Moby D!ck! It's a famous NOVEL for pete's sake!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My mother's bread pudding, made without cinnamon. I hate that spice and I also have a reaction to it (even the smell makes me throw-up). :sick:

Any way, she is gone long time ago and I don't bake, so no more bread pudding for me. I save some calories thou.:ohwell:
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    full english breakfast with all the trimming's!!

& custard cream biscuits
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Since moving away from my hometown (New Bedford, Massachusetts), I realized that there are a HUGE variety of things that I grew up on that NOBODY from anywhere else eats!!!

Where I am now, I can't get linguica, chourico, stuffed quahogs, malassadas, HooMee Chow Mein Mix...and only recently was I able to get my hands on the ever-coveted bottle of Autocrat Coffee Syrup!!!!
    I also miss Kale Soup, and Cacoila. New Bedford was a mostly portuguese city and I grew up with ALL the good portuguese food.

Does anyone even know what any of that is? LOL

Does anyone have a list of their own? Stuff that you used to eat when you were little that you can't get where you currently live?

I am in Fall River- all of the stuff you miss is new to me since I am from Ohio. I will send you all of it..lol (I never even heard of coffee syrup or coffee milk prior to moving here)
  • robin52077
    Options

I am in Fall River- all of the stuff you miss is new to me since I am from Ohio. I will send you all of it..lol (I never even heard of coffee syrup or coffee milk prior to moving here)

HAHA! Awesome! I remember how the teenagers used to drive up and down the Ave for hours upon hours, and the Harbour Mall! NB and FR were close enough that I knew a few people.:happy:

HooMee chow mein is actually manufactured in FR.
    I think I miss Whaler brand Quahogs the most of all...
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options

HAHA! Awesome! I remember how the teenagers used to drive up and down the Ave for hours upon hours, and the Harbour Mall! NB and FR were close enough that I knew a few people.:happy:

HooMee chow mein is actually manufactured in FR.
    I think I miss Whaler brand Quahogs the most of all...

What is a Quahog, please?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    it is a clam

HAHAHA.. the Harbor "Mall" such a sad little mall, if you can call it that.
    We just moved to the state in Aug 2010. Not sure what AVE you are talking about. I have heard a lot about HooMee Chow Mein factory, heard owner is very direct and wants you to know what you want to order before steeping in store front..lol
  • cassiopeia2713
    Options
    I miss pizza soooooo much. I am not sure I have the self control to eat just one slice so I haven't even tried ordering. I also miss pancakes. I make some killer Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter filled pancakes. I miss ice cream: cookie dough, cookies n cream, moose tracks. I also miss condiments. I've really cut back on sauces for the things that I eat.

I dont have anything i miss from childhood...but since starting my diet i miss tons of stuff! The most missed is ....... A GIANT DELI BAGEL WITH TONS OF CREAM CHEESE!! lol

You and me both! Ugh that sounds so good right now!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm a Texas gal transplanted up north. Moviing to Canada was the WORST in missing my food. Even Oreo cookies didn't taste the same there.

Lol, thats funny because I'm a Toronto girl, and when I go to the states I miss my food!! Everything is so BIG and often so greasy and over-done, it's craaazy! Portion sizes are insane too.. you guys have a million times more food choices than we have (which makes it a good thing I'm Canadian or I'd quickly become 3463246lbs, lol). :laugh: