I am constantly hungry...

Options
I just started working out again this past week. I have always been active, so inturn I have always been able to eat anything I want. Even on my worst day, I have always been okay shape, but I really want to get back into GREAT shape and maintain a workout regiment, not just for me, but for my wife. I know she remembers what I looked like as a Marine or when I was just out of college, but the problems I have are the following:
1) I put on muscle easliy, which adds weight.
2) I am constantly hungry.
I am trying to get from 200 to 180, but not sure how to curb the appetite. Even with the recomended caloric intake I am hungry all day.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Replies

• 2loseLBS
    Options
    I just started working out again this past week. I have always been active, so inturn I have always been able to eat anything I want. Even on my worst day, I have always been okay shape, but I really want to get back into GREAT shape and maintain a workout regiment, not just for me, but for my wife. I know she remembers what I looked like as a Marine or when I was just out of college, but the problems I have are the following:
    I am trying to get from 200 to 180, but not sure how to curb the appetite. Even with the recomended caloric intake I am hungry all day.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What types of food are you eating? It's important to eat the right kind of calories, think protein. The empty ones won't fuel you for long and your hunger will come back sooner. Are you drinking enough water? Thirst and hunger pains are very similar.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

If you're not already doing 5-6 mini meals a day..I'd highly recommend it! It keeps the energy level up, the blood sugars leveled out, the metabolism moving along throughout the whole day....and ohhhhh we do so want THAT!

You can even set it up that way on MFP ...makes it easy to keep track ...eating about every 3 hours is a good healthy way to care for your body......I'm certainly never hungry....it does takes some planning thought...but so does 3 meals a day.....always keep some snacks with you and think through where you'll be each day and what you need to take along.

Best of luck, hope that method is something you'll find works for you:drinker:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I agree with what liveagain said and would add that fiber is also very important to keep you feeling full. A fiberone bar and a Quaker Chewy granola bar have similar ingredients and number of calories but a fiberone bar keeps you full longer because it has 8 grams more of fiber (just don't eat two in a row - your digestive tract and neighbors won't thank you if you're not used to that much fiber at once). I would say up your fiber intake, look for whole grains and such. Oatmeal is something I rely on when trying to lose weight (only 200 cals even with brown sugar and quite filling).

To each his own, however! Hope you find something that works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

If you're not already doing 5-6 mini meals a day..I'd highly recommend it! It keeps the energy level up, the blood sugars leveled out, the metabolism moving along throughout the whole day....and ohhhhh we do so want THAT!

You can even set it up that way on MFP ...makes it easy to keep track ...eating about every 3 hours is a good healthy way to care for your body......I'm certainly never hungry....it does takes some planning thought...but so does 3 meals a day.....always keep some snacks with you and think through where you'll be each day and what you need to take along.

Best of luck, hope that method is something you'll find works for you:drinker:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Great advice!

Remember.....NEVER let yourself get hungry. NEVER let yourself get full.
  • Nas22
    Nas22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a girl and I totally understand what you are talking about... My personal advice is to do cardiovascular excer. to lose the weight. Strength training is really important so that you can build muscle which allows you to burn fat and calories you consume throughout the day. But in order to lose the 20 pounds I would say run or the elipitical five days a week and two or three days strength training. As for food eat foods with fiber. Protein is also good for you as the other person said but it also helps build protein. Fiber helps your body digest and feel fuller longer! Hope that helps you!! I have also just started working out and eating right and the 20 pounds I want to lose is taking a lot of effort!!
  • 2loseLBS
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. It is the first time I have ever tried to "cut" weight. My old philosophy was to have enough muscle and be active enough that I did not have to worry about how much I ate cause I would burn it off. Now, at 35, with a little less time in the gym and the metabolism slowing, it is a little harder to tighten up.
    I have been eating a lot of Tuna, Turkey, chicken, beans, and protien bars for protien, but I think it the actuall lack of "size" of meal that gives me the hunger cravings. Does anyone know if the bodys hunger craving will adapt to the new eating habits? If so, how long does that usually take?
    Thanks again for all the great input.

ps...I am totally addictive compulsive so I decided only to weigh my self once a week so I do not become to obsesive about the actuall pounds. Any input on this?
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the cravings adapting or not but it's always a good idea to only weigh yourself once a week. That's what I do. I find that when I weight myself every other day or so I get discouraged.
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I too am a fitness fanatic. The advice in the previous threads are good. 6 small meals every 2.5-3.5 hrs is very good. I have fiber supplements in my diet...morning and night with meals. I workout during my lunch hour and I usually have a little some prior to the workout to take the hunger edge off till I eat lunch afterwards.
  • 2loseLBS
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is my first post and I appreciate all the great info! More than anything I think I need to understand that patience and consistancy is key. I tend to be "extreem" and expect "extreem" results that are not always best, possible, or realistic.
    I am so glad I found this site. Such an awesome way to help Great people, doing great things, for great reasons! I love it!
    Thanks for the wonderful welcome everyone!
  • this_iZ_it
    Options
    Actually they say an effective diet shouldn't leave you hungry all the time...I have to look up that source up again for reference.
    1. water, water, water.......helped me tremendously.

I'm not much on rabbit food so I can't help you there. If you don't have a major carb restriction:

2. rice cakes or boards which ever you prefer to call them are a good, non messy, quick snack. The calorie and fat count is low. Also the quaker oat square cereal...I used to keep a ziploc bag at my desk when I had severe hunger pains. Plus satisfies "mental hunger".

3. And if you haven't already done so...substitute whole grain for anything you possible can...bread, chips, noodles (the taste sacrifice is not too bad...i.e. turkey for ground beef (yuck)...however it seems last longer on the tummy.

Good luck! hope it helps a little...I know everyone is different (FIND WHAT SUITS YOU THE BEST) you are so not alone when it comes to this hurdle...this is the hardest part...stick with the temporary side effects and know that it does get better.