SO SAD :(

Options
WELL, SET A GOAL WITH A CLOSE FRIEND THA T I WANTED TO RUN MY FIRST 1/2 MARATHON IN JUNE 1 DAY AFTER MY 40TH AND I KNOW I AM NOT READY FOR THAT EVEN THOUGH SHE IS A SEASONED RUNNER. TOLD HER TODAY I WANT TO PUT IT OFF FOR A YEAR UNTIL I AM READY, AND I AM CATCHING SLACK..................I AM HAPPY WITH MY DECISION, BUT SHE SEEMS LET DOWN. GRANTED IT IS IN VEGAS, SO IS IT THE TRIP SHE IS MISSING? I HAVE BIGGER THINGS IN MIND. LIKE FINISHING ALIVE AND WELL....................ANY THOUGHTS?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    you can TOTALLY do a half marathon by june. I say do it! Not for your friend but for you...why cheat yourself by letting excuses get in the way. Check out my blog for motivation on this running thing....i was certinally NOT a runner until I made myself into one and I started out at 200 lbs and no ability to run around even a track!

You can do it!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You should do it!!! It's in June, and that's another 3 months away!! I know what you can do, I know that you can burn big calories which means you are cardio fit and can finish it!!

Your friend could feel let down as she wants support in running it, even if you dont run the same pace together. I know when I have run events I have tried to get friends to do it with me, even if it means I finish first and then cleer them in.

If you really dont want to do it, then dont do it, but from what you have been doing i KNOW you are up to it and a half 3 months away is very achieveable from your fitness level!

From your own personal point of view, why put off something for a year? There is no better time than doing it now, and what will make you think that a year will make any difference to the way you feel your abilities are at and potentially your fitness?

I have a half I'm thinking about for September - love to train "with you" to get there!!!
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would be let down too, because if I took my friend that never ran a half before and decided to put my time in to help her then she backs out, I am short of a partner, running buddy, etc, but in the end it's your body and your decision...My running buddy backed out on me a month before the race and I was really sad because there was nobody to do long runs with.

I definitely think 4 months is sufficient to train for a half marathon... I was never a runner before and I didn't start training until late june, and my first HM was in November 2010

I also understand that it can be scary or it can seem like you can't do it/aren't capable, its normal. Maybe you need to rethink backing out and explaining to her that you are overwhelmed?

It's also different if you are injured... recovery from injuries can pull you back...
    :)

Eh, either way, don't give up the goal. It's a good goal :)
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Might I add that I started late June not being able to run like 5 mins straight, my pace was like a 12 minute mile, if I nearly kill myself...

By november, I was running 8+ miles at 10 minute pace... I finished 13.1 miles at an 11 minute mile pace because I totally slowed down after mile 8 and walked some.. So I was running the first 8 miles sub 9 mins and the last how many miles in between 9-15 min paces.

after the race, my 1 mile time went to mid 7 mins.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • LYNNPETTY93
    Options
    I'm new here, and you don't know me from a hill of beans..
    But here is my advice. If you are happy with your choice.. Then don't second guess it.
    But I would explain to my friend fully- my reasons on backing out.
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    Hmm I would challenge yourself to do it! Why not give it a shot at running as far as you can and walk the rest of the way?
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think your wise for your decision. I say that because I permanently injured myself to were I will never race again. If you take it slow, you can go for many, many years. Do you think you could walk the marathon? If that is a possibility......otherwise, you need to listen to YOUR body. If she is your friend, she will get over it eventually. It takes time.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    You obviously need to stick with a decision that you feel comfortable with...that being said, I think you should do it. Like everyone else said, it is still 3 months away and if we don't challenge ourselves, how will we ever change? Even if you end up walking part of it and are the last one to finish, wouldn't you be proud of yourself for finishing?
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    Is there a time limit on the 1/2 marathon you're signed up for? Would it be possible to make a compromise with yourself (if you're interested, of course)? Rather than backing out completely, could you run for as long as you can and then walk the remaining distance? I'm not a runner, and don't claim to know how much training you require, but I have walked two marathons and I know how amazing it is to cross the finish line and feel like you can conquer anything. I understand you're nervous, but you shouldn't sell yourself short. If this is something you were looking forward to, but are scared you're not ready, there's plenty of time between now and June to train if you're committed, and you'll feel so great if you're able to accomplish your goal!
    You know better than anyone what your current situation is and what your limitations are, but I would like to pose a question: Why not just try it and see how you do? If nothing else, you gain experience and you get a nice trip to Vegas with your friend.
  • joalai
    joalai Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm doing the same training and I'm 52, never ran more than a couple miles, so it's a big commitment. I say you keep going for it and worst case you walk what you can't run. Then you still train, still do 13 miles, but it's understandable that you may have set backs in the way of injuries, etc.. I have walked 3 1/2 marathons before this training, so I know I can walk it. You should keep training and don't give up unless you really discover you can't even walk the day of the run.

I'm up to 6 miles on Saturdays, and running 4 miles twice during the week. next week, I go up to 7 miles. My husband is helping me train (he's done lots of marathons and halfs), so he has reminded me to go slow. So, I am slow, but I'm doing it and getting in much better shape. You can do it - just take it slow, don't go for speed, just endurance. when you hit the hills, think baby steps. Again, worst case, walk what you can;t finish running. Still a huge accomplishment.
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    it's not that i doubt myself to finsh it, it's all the other factors.................HEAT (VEGAS IN JUNE), major hills and me ont being born a runner.......more of a cycler...............just doesn't feel "right" not yet
  • Mayorga160
    Options
    renee, your not going to know if its "right" or not until you confront it.

Major Hills- just remember, lean forward, keep steps light and short

Heat - Hydrated(: , light (in both weight and color) clothing.

Come on now! :)

Im not a born runner either, but use this as a milestone to see where you stand.

Try it out, if it doesnt go well, you know what went wrong and what you have to work on.

If it does, see where you did well, and work on to improve that!(Breathing, strides, conditioning)

without all the sugar-coating, stop excuses (: lol
  • ItsallGod
    Options
    I ran my first marathon Feb. 6, this year. I'm 46, never overweight but was definitely out of shape, a junk food junkie and had knee and back issues. Sept of 2010 i couldn't run to my mailbox and I have a short driveway. A lot of prayers, 4 months of training, improved eating habits and I ran 26.2 miles in 4 hours and 29 minutes. This was such an AWESOME experience that has changed my life. Maybe your friend wants you to experience that. Full or 1/2 is an amazing accomplishment. I don't know where you are in your training but for me the first month was tough and a little defeating, could you be experiencing the drain before the gain? My friend, who I considered a coach, and running buddy told me; Your body CAN do it if you train it. Your "head" has to know you can do it. Don't let the "bad" runs get you down, we all have them, and keep picturing yourself crossing the finish line. I spoke with and read about quite a few "runners" and they all had the same advice. I took the advice to heart. My "coach" had to downgrade to the 1/2 a month before the race but continued to help as much as she could with long runs. I ran it "alone" with her advice in my head. It was AMAZING! I am now starting to train with a another friend (my "coach" moved) for our first 1/2. I'm so excited to be able to be a part of her experience as this is her first race. I would be sad if she decided to postpone because it is so worth the hard work, pain and time it takes to prepare. The self discipline you gain is a huge asset as well as the benefits of improved health. It's not for everyone but I pray you give it a fair chance. Even if you never did another race it would be a great experience. Whatever your decision keep on track for a heathy life! Blessings!
  • ukjessi
    ukjessi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    First, you have to do what you think is best for you and your friend should respect that. But having said that, sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zones to realize our full potential.

Second, just because its a half marathon doesn't mean you have to run the entire thing! You can walk part of it. Finishing is the important part.

Third, its Vegas baby!! We know how to live it up out here - even the marathons! :-)
  • joalai
    joalai Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree! top runners say that they are no different than anyone else, except that they can tolerate the pain and not let their mind stop them. I'm going through that now - painful run yesterday after a hard long day at work, so I was tired and wanted to stop, but I talked myself into getting through the pain and moving forward. Next run will be better, I'm sure.