Options

Replies

• Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
  • neha_duvvuri
    neha_duvvuri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sodium accounts for water retention. So watch it!!!
  • neha_duvvuri
    neha_duvvuri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Got this too on net:-
    Excess sodium intake is linked to:
    1. hypertension/high blood pressure and heart disease
    2. fluid retention (oedema) and kidney stones
    3. A high-sodium diet increases the need for potassium.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't do so hot on the sodium quiz. I got a 50%. I guess that's one of those things that I don't really watch. I have low blood pressure and don't eat out a lot, I just assume when I eat out that it is completely full of fat and sodium.

Good news though. I took the sex quiz and scored much higher on it.:bigsmile: :smokin:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I did bad on the sodium quiz too, only got 2 questions right. :laugh:
  • burb265
    Options
    I don't have to watch my sodium intake but I took the test anyway. It did prove to me one thing, I don't eat fast food. I did miserably on the test but I've never even seen most of the food they asked about, some I've never even heard of. I realized that if I'm feeling lazy I eat a McDonald's grilled chicken salad making sure they give me one of the low fat/fat free dressings. If I have a fast food craving I get the Cheeseburger Happy meal which isn't too bad (530 cals) but takes care of the fix for weeks.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

Did you take the sex quiz. It was kind of interesting. I actually learned alot. Something really interesting about pigs, and about vanilla:huh:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an eye opener! :noway:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    This made me realize that I need to watch my sodium intake for the day, so I added this to my tracker. It stated that I needed 2500 a day??? This seems high to me? Do I really need that much, when my calories are at 1200 before exercise?
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    You'd be surprised how fast that 2500 points can go. Even in seemingly healthy food. I have a higher calorie level since I'm a fluffy one, but take my Foods for today for instance.

Now I realize that a great deal of this is processed, but I work 40 hrs and am taking 3 classes this semester so I don't have tons of free time. I try to get the healthiest things I can that will fill me up and last all day...but this is what I got so far....

BF: 2 Fiber One Apple Cinnamon Muffins (homemade) prepared as directed 420mg of sodium

L: 1 SmartOnes Turkey with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy 770 mg of sodium, small salad with Fat Free Italian Dressing 440mg (the only semi healthy option at my work cafeteria)

D: 2 slices Natures Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread 250mg, 2 tsp mustard 112mg, Boars Head Buffalo Chicken Breast 4 oz.(estimated on the high side) 780mg, Kraft Mayo made with EVOO 2 tbs 190mg

Basically at the end of the day I am about 1000 mg's over my limit ...which doesn't help me much ...but in the same token....I don't even want to know what they put in this hospital food. lol :laugh:.

By the way...even with all that sodium I'm still 400+ under my calorie limit for the day...go figure!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    Options
    So I guess that is normal then! I never realized the sodium content in things, never thought to look. It really does add up quickly!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Did you take the sex quiz. It was kind of interesting. I actually learned alot. Something really interesting about pigs, and about vanilla:huh:
    I love vanilla pig smoothies on the weekends!:huh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

I love vanilla pig smoothies on the weekends!:huh:

:huh: :huh:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What kinds of eating habits are associated with increased levels of sodium? Just a question.

This comes from the salt institute.... They have articles that side with both views of sodium intake. But notice the outcome of the more recent studies.

http://www.saltinstitute.org/illumen/news2005093013.html

"One comment maintained that there was no evidence that restricting sodium consumption will result in improved cardiovascular health outcomes. This comment criticized FDA's reliance on studies examining the intermediate variables associated with salt intake, such as changes in blood pressure, maintaining that the agency should instead focus on whether restricting sodium consumption will result in improved cardiovascular health outcomes. According to this comment, none of the nine studies reported since 1995 that examined health outcomes associated with reduced dietary sodium showed a benefit to the general population in terms of health outcomes such as reduced incidence of heart attacks and strokes; in fact, some studies actually found a connection between low sodium diets and adverse health outcomes, i.e., a greater incidence of heart attacks. Another comment pointed out that too little sodium can actually be harmful, especially for people with low blood pressure and those living in hot climates. A few of the comments suggested that the NIH/NHLBI study "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension--Sodium," known as the DASH-Sodium study, should be examined more closely before the agency comes to any conclusion about the need to reduce sodium in foods. /2/ As discussed in detail under comment 2 of this document, one comment questioned the accuracy and objectivity of this study, whose reported conclusions were that both hypertensive and nonhypertensive individuals can lower blood pressure by reducing dietary sodium."