Day Off of Exercise

Options
I know that everyone says that you should take a day off from exercise...BUT I don't think I want to and here are my reasons why.

1. The 30 Day Shred program takes me 30 minutes tops which isn't a lot of time and if I have the time to do it, why shouldn't I burn the calories working out?

2. My biggest reason is that when I take a day off from exercising, it is hard for me to get back into the swing of things. I need continuity or else I will end up failing. I fear that if I take today off I will have no motivation tomorrow to start up again.

Are my reasons valid or am I doing my body more harm than good by not taking a day off? Any advice would be great!

Replies

• parisianskies002
    Options
    You should take a day off and let your body rest and tell yourself NOT to lose self-control, and mske sure you end up exercising after a day or two, and consume less calories during that period - that's what l do anyway! Good luck with your weight-loss journey :)
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing...although I don't have a built in day off yet, I have a crazy busy life (don't we all) with alot of travel, so if I just can't get my work out in, I don't worry about it too much. But, I have to be vigilant that I don't turn one day off into 2, 5, 10 off! LOL Also, if I was to CHOOSE to take a day off, I would make it the one the day before my weigh in. :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Build at least one day off into your week. I just took two, but today walked five and a half miles. The regime requires discipline, but rest is as important as exercise...
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    re: 30DS I am in the same position. Not sure if it will "work' if I dont do it every day.

I took a day off 30DS yesterday (I did walk for 30 mins which is below my 60 mins per day.) It was sooo hard for me to get up and do 30DS this morning. But, I have goals set and I want to stick with it. My plan is to do 30DS again tonight so that I can start level two tomorrow like i originally planned. We will see how that goes LOL

Would love to see the responses.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I think it's alright if instead of heavy workout you want to just take a light walk or something, but you really should take a day off from HEAVY workouts. I had a trainer tell me once that if you don't give your body time to mend you can make yourself physically ill. When you work your muscles like in 30 Days Shred your literally shredding your muscles and tearing them so they can heal bigger and toned. You need to give them time to heal up.
  • susancelli928
    Options
    I take off at least once a week, you have to give your body a chance to catch up to the calories you are burning...
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Your body needs the rest day to recover. Not taking a day off can also cause injuries because your body breaksdown. That will force you to take time off and is extremely frustrating. The other thing that can happen is you burn yourself out.

Remember, even pro athletes take days off.
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and am going through it now. I've had a birthday to celebrate and went to Amish Country on another day and ate too much both days...then didn't walk. Now my brain and stomach want to eat everything and be lazy! I forced myself to walk twice yesterday just to almost break even with my eating yesterday. I am either ALL in or ALL out and I hate that! I wish I had a happy medium! So, I don't have an answer for you I just wanted to tell you you're not alone. I know with myself, if I don't exercise daily I might as well not diet because the exercise keeps me going....
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone says that you should take a day off from exercise...BUT I don't think I want to and here are my reasons why.

1. The 30 Day Shred program takes me 30 minutes tops which isn't a lot of time and if I have the time to do it, why shouldn't I burn the calories working out?

2. My biggest reason is that when I take a day off from exercising, it is hard for me to get back into the swing of things. I need continuity or else I will end up failing. I fear that if I take today off I will have no motivation tomorrow to start up again.

Are my reasons valid or am I doing my body more harm than good by not taking a day off? Any advice would be great!

How about a day with a different activity? Sometimes a change is as good as a rest... but it still amounts to exercise... ie. I am planning on taking my 5 year old to the zoo today or maybe bowling... instead of running.

You still get active, you get exercise, you just change it up a bit?
  • ahkunkel
    ahkunkel Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice! I ended up taking my dogs to the park where they could run around. It was nice for them to be off of the leash and it was nice for me to be outside in the sunshine (even though it was 34 degrees...brrr)!!!!