Time of the Month

Options
Hello my support group!!

This question goes out to all the ladies. Do you find that your weight is effected when you get your period? My friend put on 8 lbs during her time of the month. I am only up one pound. What are the reasons for this and is it common?

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    Options
    I usually gain 3-4 pounds. I know I retain a lot of water during TOM so I try to really watch my sodium intake during then as well.....plus I crave the reeses cups and crap during TOM, usually I don't
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Everyone will have a different "reaction" to that time of the month. I find that I barely gain a lb and others gain 3.... it all depends on how much water retention your body takes in. This is common and a few days after its over, you will see your weight slip back down. Keep at it.
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    pretty common. as women, our bodies tend to retain more water during our period. keeping my same routine (i.e. exercise, water intake, sleeping, and caloric intake) tends to make that week go by smoothly. A pound or two gain is usually lost by the end of that week.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always thought it had something to do with bloating and water weight, bit I haven't researched it so I may be wrong.
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    ive put 2 pound on this week its normal for me at this time of the month dont worry it will soon come off what ever you put on during this time x good luck on your journey x
  • bmmiller4
    bmmiller4 Posts: 39
    Options
    I think it is mostly water retention. Some months are really bad for me and other not so much. I am also getting close to Mentalpause so I think that is why mine is so up and down. Just don't let it get you down if you put on a little weight during that time...it will pass
  • taraleola05
    taraleola05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    YES! I usually gain 3-6 pounds during my period and it really sucks! It usually all vanishes as soon as it has passed and completed its' cycle, but boy that week really bites the big one. I've found mine to be mostly water weight. I usually crave a lot of salty things, but I tell myself it won't do me any good to feed into that craving. I push a lot of liquids during this time and try to drink an extra 1-2 glasses of water to compensate for cravings.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My dietary intake fluxuates a lot during TOM. I've learned to accept it and go with it. It doesn't affect my over-all loss and it is a fact of life, for a few more years. I used to stress about it and weigh obsessively and even try to stop eating during TOM. Then I tried to just have "good" snacks for the constant feeling of hungery but what I learned was regardless of the kind of foods you are eating if your body doesn't need the calories it will store them whether they come from chocolate or carrots. Now I pay attention to what I really want and have it and move on.

Some months I can also gain 5 to 10 pounds of water during that time. Other months I hardly gain any at all. I rarely weigh in so it is no longer an issue. This is now only one small part of my journey in life and as long as my health continues to improve I'm happy.
  • parisianskies002
    Options
    Definitely! I am on my period now (4th day) and l gained 5lb at the start, but l think it is water retention because l went back to my normal weight (147lb) and lost an extra 2lb! The best thing to do is drink plenty of water ladies! lt will obviously put a few pounds on you but as soon as you urinate, you are removing toxins as well as water weight. Good luck on your journey's!
  • sweetnshy
    sweetnshy Posts: 97
    Options
    I actually lost two pounds during tom but than gained 3 back the day after I ended!
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    my weight seems to stay on schedule but boy do I get hungry and crave things when it's that time....It takes over my brain and stomach and makes me want to say what the heck and eat all I want-so hard to control sometimes (going through that today and trying to NOT eat)
  • m_morgan8
    m_morgan8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    off topic but how do you get a ticker to go on your home page here?
  • abalina
    abalina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i usually gain like 3 pounds when its that TOM , and i alwwwwwwwwwwwayss have SUPER cravings for everything junk
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 3-5 pounds, and it does not fully go away until about a week and half after my TOM is over.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    off topic but how do you get a ticker to go on your home page here?

at the top of the page is says "signature" you need to go to where you create the ticker and copy the bb code and paste it as your signature. Thats what the green words on everyones is, you can put what you want... goals, quotes, whatever!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I gain between 2-5lb and crave everything I shouldnt, like chocolate etc. But this month I have managed to stay reasonably on track.
  • treena99
    treena99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My weight normally increases. The pounds do vary from time to time, but I have noticed that once TOM ends.. I loses the pounds that were once added.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    My weight doesn't go up actually I stay on schedule with losing even on TOM. I am actually at the end of mine this month and my weight has dropped almost 2 lbs this week. I do however drink EXTRA water (about 24 oz more) each day during TOM. Drinking the extra water makes my cravings decrease during that week.