Does anyone have Nike+ iPod?

Options
Does anyone else have a Nike +iPod? I got one for Christmas and am just starting to use it more to calculate the distance of my runs as opposed to time or calories. I'm training for a couple of events so I want to know my distance fairly accurately. I went out on what I was hoping to be a 13 mile run this morning but I'm finding that the Nike +iPod is grossly inaccurate.

There is a 10K race in my city each year that I've entered 4 times and have run countless times on my own, so that distance I know is pretty exact. I guessed on the extra 1.6 km (or 1 mile) to get me to 13 miles. My chip recorded that I ran 17 miles and when I got home and looked up my actual distance it was 14 miles. I should note that because I don't have Nike shoes, I had to buy the clip and I'm wondering if that is my first problem, but that still seems like a big discrepancy! Plus, I think it's more important to buy running shoes that I'm happy with than worrying about my distance. I'm curious to know if anyone else has the Nike +iPod and how you like it. Do you find it accurate? Do you have Nike shoes? There are things I love about the Nike +iPod that I love but I'm pretty disappointed about this factor and I'm wondering if I have to go out and buy yet something else to calculate my distance more precisely. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Did you do the calibration run? It helped quite a bit for me, but not enough to make it worth keeping.

If you have an iphone or android-based phone, the Runkeeper app is really accurate as it uses GPS. Amazon has the Garmin 305 for $128 and it's just as accurate as Runkeeper and includes heart rate monitor.

Nike+ iPod is theoretically a great product, but counts on an exact stride length to be accurate. And of course your strides are going to vary during a run.
  • trinitystrix
    Options
    My iphone has it... I have never used it as I didn't understand what it was for.. I didn't realize it tracked your mileage... I think I'll look into it.
  • Thunderella05
    Options
    I have it and I love it. You have to calibrate it in order for it to accurately measure you're distance. It should tell you in the manual or on the website how to calibrate it. There's also an option at the end of your run to push the center button to "calibrate using this run." Give i a shot and see if that helps any. I know it helped mine. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've not found it to be particularly helpful yet - I've calibrated it a couple of times, so it's closer to being accurate than it was at first. Last I used it I was on the treadmill and it pretty closely matched the treadmill distance.

I usually use it for timed runs right now. It is helpful to have the voice prompt as I can't really see my watch while running. (over 40 eyes)

I find the Nike website to be pretty useless.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did do the calibration run when I first got it but I should likely do it again because it's been awhile and was on the treadmill. Now I'm running outside again.
    I have a Blackberry, not an iPhone or Android-based phone, but now I'm wondering if my BB can help me out with this at all, or if there's some kind of GPS app I could get. Does anyone else know the answer to either of those questions?
    I have tried to calibrate using a run I just did and for some reason couldn't get it to work - I had to do a short separate run to calibrate. Anyway, I'll try it again when I do my next outdoor run. Thanks everyone!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    blackberry app world has something called "Runtastic" that looks similar.