Not reaching calories and still not hungry

Options
Hi all,

I know the topic of whether your body goes into "starvation" mode if you don't eat enough calories has been discussed before. But I'm new at this nutrition/fitness lifestyle, so I am sorry if I am asking the same question, but I'm confused. :sad:

My calories is set at 1390. Many days I don't even get 1200 calories in and then my diary says I'm going into starvation mode. But, I am just not hungry. So, my question is: Do I force myself to eat to hit at least 1200 calories or do I not eat. I don't like the idea of eating when I am not hungry, that's what got me into my weight problem to begin with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Diane

Replies

• TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I'd be interested to find an answer as well. I have 2100 calories my diary says I should be eating in the next six hours. Do I have to run out to McDonalds or something like that?
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Eat some higher calories foods like walnuts, almonds, peanut butter...

or - if that doesn't work - a nice cheesebureger or ice cream should work
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that I should not force myself to eat if I am not hungry. That said, if I am burning more calories than I can eat, I cut back on exercising. You could try eating nutrient dense foods to try to up your calorie intake, without filling up. unsalted plan nuts, unsalted sugar free natural peanut butter, avocados, olive oil, etc....
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Are you working out? I noticed that when i double up on my workouts that I am not hungry and that is when i HAVE to eat a lot more. I would suggest eating the 1200 a day, if not its just not healthy for you. Also make sure you are eating healthy stuff to, lots of veggies, lean protein, ect. Hope that helps :) Good luck!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When you make your meals... add extra high cal but not bad for you foods... such as avocado or nuts... this way you are still eating the same but aren't forcing yourself to eating so much. At first it was hard for me to reach 1200 but with a few additions and switches of types of food, I am slowly getting there. Don't go for fast food or junk just because you have the cals... just plan ahead and find items that will give you the cals but not be horrible for you.
  • shart135
    shart135 Posts: 5
    Options
    Make sure you eat at least the 1,200 calories. If you are exercising regularly you can up your caloric intake a bit 1,300 to 1,400 calories. Try to eat smaller meals 4 to 5 a day instead of three bigger ones. That will keep your blood sugar more consistent. Exercising 3 to 4 days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio will help spur your metabolism and maybe your hunger. If your body goes into "starvation" mode, it practically halts metabolism to stops weight loss. Good luck!
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't force feed yourself and don't fret over a low day once in awhile but also don't make it habit. Like everyone else said, add higher calorie foods that are nutrient rich...any nut butter (peanut, almond, hazelnut etc) any nuts in general, avacados, bananas, etc...
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm on my seventh day of exercising every day. During the week I'm fine and I come in just under my calories. But today, I'm still 1904 calories short after doubling my loss goal. That's with burning 736 calories in exercise. According to the MFP stats at least, I'm going to get a HRM to confirm I am burning as much as it says I am. Rather than feeling hungry, I'm feeling like I want to go and do more exercise, but I'm not sure getting my net calories into negative numbers would be a good idea.

My goal calories are currently standing at 2450 as I started at 300lbs and I'm 6' tall with a mostly sedentary lifestyle.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    its as easy as eating higher calorie foods...that simple...just find very high calorie healthy foods and make sure u eat those and you'll b fine
  • Tanzyness
    Tanzyness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been having this same problem on and off. Sometimes it is so bad that I literally feel like I'm force-feeding myself. My calorie goal is very close to yours and I am also lucky to make 1,200. I have found that adding nuts to my diet has been a huge help. When I see that my calories are lacking, I can eat some and make up calories quickly. I also make sure I eat as soon as I get up and as often as I can throughout the day so I am not stuck with a bunch of calories at night. One other thing is opting for the higher calorie choice, for example if you went to Subway select a healthy sandwich with the most calories. I eat Lean Cuisines frequently and I have started buying ones that have more calories. Using those techniques I have managed to keep my calories at a decent level this week. Hope this helps! And if not, at least you know you are not alone!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    yes you must force yourself even if you are not hungry. The starvation thing is too. I am here b/c I need to gain(have anorexia) anyway when Iseverly restrict my weight actually goes up now.So I am never hungry I have to set alsrms to remind me to eat so you cant always go by that. Ever since I went into treatment my body is so confused. Try eating dense foods..small amts high cals...nuts are good for that
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am always under my calorie goals, according to MFP I need to eat 1710 daily. I try to eat the nuts and peanut butter, but its hard to get enough in because I find I will be eating and can't finish what I started. If I FORCE it I get so nauseated that I am sure I will vomit if I eat more.
    I've started trying to graze all day long instead of making set meals just so I can try to get more in and not feel so full that I fell awful after.