Taking a day off from dieting

Options
Hello:

So I haven't been dieting long--at least this time--and yet I have "cheated" already. I know that some people take days off where they can eat what they want and not calorie count. Does it work? Can you take a day off your diet--within reason--and still lose weight? I would love to hear what people say.

Thanks.

Libby

Replies

• abbysum
    abbysum Posts: 7
    Options
    I went over my calories this week one day and I still lost 2 lbs. I didn't go crazy, but I ate more then usual.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    yup. keeps you sane, too.
  • kwrecks
    kwrecks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The way that I've always been taught is that you should generally take a day, and have a cheat day. When I did Weight Watchers, they said that having a cheat day once a week was a good idea. When they say cheat day, though, they don't mean go crazy, they just mean have a day that you don't count calories. IT's a day where, if you are craving a hamburger, have a burger, but don't have a burger and 3 candy bars and a huge bowl of ice cream and a bag of chips, etc. Cheat within reason. This will shock your body into burning the calories, so it's sometimes good to do when you are having a hard time losing.
  • tammydspice
    tammydspice Posts: 102
    Options
    I can and do. Every Friday is Nacho Night at my house!! We have a plate of nachos piled high with meat, peppers, onions, salsa and guac and either a beer or a diet pepsi and finish it off, sometimes, with a little chocolate. Oh and a little cheese on there too!! Love it and it keeps me sane for the rest of the week!!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Some people can cheat and still lose some people cant. Everyone deserves a day off, just dont let it become 2 then 3 then 4 etc. Just log everything which will stop you from going too mad. Even if you go over in calories by a small amount there is still a built in deficit. Take measurements too, inches can go down even if weight doesnt.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Once a week free-day advocate here. It does work. And there are benefits, metabolic and psychological.

Note, if you happen to look at my food diary, this weekend is a poor example. I'm sort of flying off off the handle this Friday, Sat, Sun, due to various social engagements. This is after several months of discipline. One free day a week is great. More than that is lack of discipline, and I'm NOT recommending that.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book right now called Bod4God. In it the author lost over 100 pounds. He says he would choose one meal a week that he would eat what he wanted to. I don't think a whole day is a good idea. It would be too easy to continue eating what you want into the next day. The more you start eating healthy the easier it is. I used to think nothing of ordering a 10 piece nugget meal (large) at McDonald's. Now...I know that meal has over 1300 calories! I would never eat that way. This is a lifestyle change, not a DIEt. Look at the 1st 3 letters of that word D-I-E. I think of a diet as something that deprives me and leaves me feeling hungry. Once you learn to eat healthier foods...hopefully it becomes habit. So...I think it is ok to cheat every once in awhile on 1 meal, but not for a whole day.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I have only been doing this for 2 months and I have taken like 2 cheat days. I do have 1 day a week where I will eat chick fil a or a steak and potatoe with veggie at a steak house but I STILL watch my calories when doing so. I know the sodium is out the window but I drink extra water those days. I don't go crazy either..I have a baked potatoe plain (and ask to hold the salt), only 1 roll without the honey butter and ask for lowfat dressing for my salad. I consider this a lifestyle change not a diet so cheat days I use to challenge myself without really "counting calories" until the end of the day to evaluate my ability to "know" what to eat without having to think to hard about it :)
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has said: Free days keep me sane, and they have kept me counting calories and exercising way longer than any other "diet" I've tried, which translates to me actually losing weight and not getting frustrated with myself.

However, I do log everything, even on my "free" days. You'll notice that if you check out my diary. For me, it's a way of keeping in mind just how many calories that delicious Blue Moon was the other night for example, or that yummy piece of pizza. That way I'll have 2 pieces of pizza instead of four, and two beers instead of lord know how many, like I used to. :)

Good luck to you!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'll restate my motto of the word "cheating" in regards to diet:

I don't consider it cheating when really, it's just a day of increased calorie intake. "Cheating" denotes a negative connotation that usually harbors some sort of guilt. For those who advocate it, like I do, I consider it a "spike" day, where you have a significant amount of calories, guilt-free, for a day in order to keep your metabolism jumping around. Then once that day is done, you spike the discipline back into your diet. Go right back to eating the clean, healthy alternatives with a controlled calorie count. You can even spike your day full of healthy alternatives if you choose. It's just literally more than you would normally take in. If you look at it that way, it doesn't seem as psychologically negative in terms of a weight loss goal.

I do it all the time, and as some have stated, to a degree of lacked discipline, but those days I'm out of town and in buffet mania. If I have the opportunity, I'll work my *kitten* off at the hotel gym if there is one provided in order to put those massive calories I ate to some use. Keep a positive attitude about it, and positive results will show.
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    I certainly do. One day a week on the weekend I eat whatever I want. It kept me sane in the beginning, knowing that I couldn't have that cheeseburger today...but I could on Saturday. I talked myself out of a LOT of bad days because I convinced myself that I could do it ALL on Saturday. I didn't used to count my calories from my "spike" day but still have managed to lose consistently 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. (I do have quite a bit to lose.) A funny thing happened on the way, though, I started making better choices on my "cheat" day and now I DO log my cheat day calories and think long and hard if I really, really, REALLY want that food item. Strange how my good behaviors all week long, week after week, are starting to affect my cheat day. :wink:
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    "Cheat days" are essential, or "Cheat meals". It's totally a reward for being good all week, and also satiates your mind as well as your cravings :)
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Once a week, usually Sat, I have a high calorie day. It does work for me as well. Last night I went out for dinner and drinks with friends and did not worry about going over my calories. I am back on track today.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have about one "free" day a week- I eat what I like (to a point), but STILL log my calories- you'd be shocked at how fast calories can build up, so if you do have a splurge day, still be sure to log in your calories- then if you're having issues with not losing weight as fast as you want, you can look back at the reports and figure out why. I'm still losing 1-2 pounds a week while having a free day- I think it keeps the body guessing.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i would say its ok, it'll keep u sane! ive had a couple of weddings/parties this past few weeks and ive had a cheat evening but the key is not to go nuts, portion control if you can. if you crave something, have it but dont go binging. i find that it helps me to focus as if this is to be a lifestyle change i have to account for days when i wont be able to stick to sticking to my target cals.
  • LibbyF65
    LibbyF65 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments. I really appreciated the different perspectives. This is a great web community.

Libby:smile:
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my designated cheat day. I don't go crazy eating a whole pint of ice cream or any thing like that but I will treat myself a bacon/egg or pancake brunch, and a dinner of whatever I'm in the mood for. I find that is a good incentive for me to stay on track for the rest of the week, because I have that day to look forward to satisfy any cravings I have. It's still early on but so far, so good. I'm still managing to lose a least a pound a week, which is part of my goal for a slow but steady weight loss.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A cheat day it just too tempting for me. I do a cheat meal every now and then. That makes it easier. If I took a cheat day, I'd eat a whole cake, several bottles of soda and a whole pizza
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't cheat; but, occassionally I do. Now yesterday I went WAY overboard and I am feeling guilty. It will take me the week to get back to where I should be. I couldn't possibly be bad every week and I am of the mind that a cheat meal might be a better approach.
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have started having a day off a Sunday, i am still losing weight so its working for me :)