Fiber?

Options
I don't understand Fiber pills or powder. They have barely any fiber and a lot of calories for how little fiber they give.

I eat fiber bread and fiber one bars...but what other things are out there for fiber? Veggies, other carb foods etc.

Replies

• hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This is a link I found that lists the fiber in various foods. http://www.high-fiber-health.com/highfiberfoods.html
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    An apple a day....:bigsmile:
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I have been trying to put more fiber into my diet.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    seeds are great - chia, hemp and flax especially. i also use hemp protein powder which not only gives me a huge boost of protein but it's packed with fiber as well! also hot cereals like oat bran, steel cut oats, etc are great choices.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husks work wonders and they are cheap!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use psyllium fiber and bran fiber I buy at the local bulk store.

I add them to anything, yogurt, smoothies, mashed potatoes etc, they are a good bulker to keep me feeling full longer. That said it's so easy to get fiber why not grab some from the cereal or baking aisle at the grocery store as opposed to a canister at the pharmacy.
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    Kashi cereals have around 8 grams per serving, and flat out wraps have 8 for 100 calories. All Bran makes a drink mix that has 10 grams for only 15 calories. Hope that helps!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I eat "Fiber Gummies" that I get at Target to help add to my daily fiber. I have belly issues and have to eat more fiber than most people in order to 'keep things moving' so I take 2 each night before bed- 10 calories and 5g of fiber for the 2 and I've never been more *regular* in my life :blushing:
  • parisianskies002
    Options
    Prunes & Nuts are high in fibre.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes, with the skin. You'd be amazed how much fiber is in the potato skin. And yes, they are tasty. Just rub a small amount of oil and sea/kosher salt on them before you put them in the oven.