Where is the balance?

Options
My biggest problem is that I can't balance work, kids, husband, household work and find time to exercise. HELP!!! I work 8-10 hours a day, come home tend to kids, supper and the house, try to spend a few minutes with my husband (so he doesn't completely flip out lol). When that is done, I am so exhausted I don't even know my own name. I have time on the weekends to exercise, but how do I fit it into my workday schedule? Tell me some ways that you have found your balance. Thanks!!!

Replies

• DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    My blog is private, but I just wrote about the same exact topic!! lol. Bump
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First off, if something is important you'll make time for it. Either wake up early to get to the gym or go after the kids are in bed (the latter is what I have to do).

Second, is there some way your husband can help with the housework and cooking? Or, can you work less?
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    The best way I hear over and over is to wake up before everyone else and do it then. You might start going to bed earlier, but that's alright. You'll wake up and burn a ton of calories, and on top of that, you'll have a ton of energy for your day.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Maybe you could spend time with your hubby at the gym, that is if your kids are old enough to stay home alone or if you can get a babysitter. Also if you by any chance have wii and wii fit doing a hour of the aerobic games followed by 30 min of strength training really works for me. It may feel a little childish to play the games but they are really fun.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't think working less is the answer. Also, getting up earlier means going to bed earlier, which means less time with the hubs, so that might not work for you.

Use your downtime. Take a brisk walk on your lunch break -- you don't have to walk the whole time, just take 15 or 30 minutes and book it around the block a few times. Just something to get your heart pumping. Avoid the elevator, and when you're strong enough, take the stairs two at a time. In the evening, set aside 10 minutes -- just 10 minutes! -- and do a quick workout off of www.exercisetv.tv or www.bodyrock.tv. While you're waiting for dinner to cook, do some bicep curls with a milk jug, or some wall push-ups. Do squats while you wash dishes or fold laundry. While you're watching tv, you can get something to use as an aerobic step, and step through the whole show, using the commercials for pushups, crunches, and planks. Take walks with the family in the evenings. Good for everyone, and you get to spend time together.

Work it in wherever you can. You don't have to have an hour of dedicated time. 2 minutes at a time is better than none.
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't think working less is the answer. Also, getting up earlier means going to bed earlier, which means less time with the hubs, so that might not work for you.

Use your downtime. Take a brisk walk on your lunch break -- you don't have to walk the whole time, just take 15 or 30 minutes and book it around the block a few times. Just something to get your heart pumping. Avoid the elevator, and when you're strong enough, take the stairs two at a time. In the evening, set aside 10 minutes -- just 10 minutes! -- and do a quick workout off of www.exercisetv.tv or www.bodyrock.tv. While you're waiting for dinner to cook, do some bicep curls with a milk jug, or some wall push-ups. Do squats while you wash dishes or fold laundry. While you're watching tv, you can get something to use as an aerobic step, and step through the whole show, using the commercials for pushups, crunches, and planks. Take walks with the family in the evenings. Good for everyone, and you get to spend time together.

Work it in wherever you can. You don't have to have an hour of dedicated time. 2 minutes at a time is better than none.

Love these tips! You don't always have to log 1+ hours at the gym every day... the little things can be the most powerful!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    TBH, in your situation, I probably wouldn't manage to find time to work out either! I just don't do much housework, and don't mind living in a bit of a mess, but I don't work, either, I just have the children and husband factor.

If I were you I would try to exercise at work. Do toe taps, pelvic floor exercises, etc as you are sitting at work. How far is your commute? Can you walk or cycle it? Save the aerobic exercise for the weekends, would be my advice. Don't burn yourself out trying to pack too much in. No one really does it all.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wake up an hour and half earlier and do p90x before anyone else is awake
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Maybe making gym an activity you and your hubby do together? I'm not sure about your gym but mine also has a daycare center you can drop your kids off at if they are not old enough to stay home alone. Also maybe even family outings to the park or kicking around a ball in the yard together could be a why for you to get in some activity and still have time to spend with your family. :smile:
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I have a similar problem, although I am home three days a week. On the days I work, I commute on foot and that is the only excercise I get, other than some evening stretches/sit-ups after the kids are in bed. Could you fit a walk into your work day? How about having two or three 15 - 20 minute exercise sessions instead of one long one? Maybe some cardio in the morning and strength/toning in the evening? It's tough. Best wishes.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have seen a couple of 6 mins a day exercise videos. Could/would you do something like that? My children want to join in the 30 day shred with me! (they are 3 and 5).
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

This is what I would say. You don't have to go to the gym, spend time away from your family. Could you all go for a bike ride? A walk? Maybe get up 20 minutes earlier and get in a 15 minute walk/run/bike ride.etc? Take the stairs, park farther away from the door and walk FAST. All those things will add up.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    This has been a struggle for me too, but I have started to ask my husband to give me 30 minutes either before or after dinner to get in my workout while he handles the kiddos. Fortunately, he is very supportive of my new health kick! My littlest goes to bed around 7pm or so and the older two are ok on their own really so around 7:30 is when I usually get to exercise.
  • rmadams1
    rmadams1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice!!!! You all have given me some really great ideas. Unfortuantely, I can't walk to work because that would mean my two younger children would have to walk 15 miles to daycare. LOL I don't think that would go over too well!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That's right - you can't do it all. That's the myth of the Superwoman syndrome. That said, welcome to reality!

The first thing you need to do is prioritize what is most important right now in this moment in your life and make all your actions support that decision. Now that doesn't mean you have to quit your job or stop cooking and taking care of your kids. It just means that if exercise is really important and you have to work, then look for ways to support exercise while at work. Same for home.

The misconception most people have is that they think they have to work out for 35 consecutive minutes to benefit from exercise. This is not true. You can do five 30-minute exercises throughout the day and still receive the same benefits so long as you make those five minutes count. That said,

Whenever and where ever possible, take the stairs instead of escalators and elevators.
    Do squats and lunges on your breaks.
    Do walking lunges to and from your car or the bus stop.
    Go for a brisk 10-15 minute walk on your lunch.
    However, if it's cold and snowy outside and the place you work has stairs, then climb stairs instead of going outside for a walk.
    If you work in an office at a desk, keep a pair of dumbbells in your desk and do five minutes of shoulder presses, bicep curls, and tricep extensions at your desk on your break.

After work, either before or after dinner, take the kids to the park and 'play' with them. It's amazing how many calories you burn chasing after little one and climbing up and down ladders, slides, etc. Take a ball outside and kick it around. Kids love that sort of thing. You can even do this in the cold snowy weather too. Kids don't care how cold it is so long as they're bundled and having fun. Take their cue - bundle up and get out and play with them. Your husband can join too for quality family time!

As for meals, prepare large meals in advance and portion out enough for each person, then freeze it for future microwavable use. I spend every Sunday, which also happens to be my REST day from physical activity, preparing and cooking all the meals for the week ahead. I freeze what I can. I chop all veggies and put them in clear see through containers to help make snacks and salads easier to prepare. This makes coming home after work and preparing meals so much more easy and effective and time saving.

As for the housework, do a little each day instead of trying to do it all at once and save your big clean AS A WORKOUT on the weekend. I sweep my floors every second day, clean one bathroom every third or fourth day, clean the kitchen as I go, and do a major clean once a week.

If you have little ones, get your kids involved. Even little ones can drag dirty clothes to an empty laundry basket across the floor and think it's fun. Or let your husband have one hour of quality play time with the kids while you clean house, or vice versa (if he cleans - mine doesn't).

As for appeasing your husband and spending quality time with him, it's amazing what a five minute back rub or head massage does for a man. With my husband, five minutes of quality touch time enables me almost 2 hours of workout time! A pretty good trade off I think!! Too, I spend at least three days of the week walking 45 minutes with my husband. This is considered part of our 'alone and intimate' time together. Because we have no kids on our walks, we can truly focus on each other while supporting each other in a healthy lifestyle.

Just some things to consider. They may or may not work for you. Only you know that for sure.

All the best to you :smile:
  • Jdhenson
    Jdhenson Posts: 6
    Options
    I think both of us are going to have to put our heads together and just get creative. My knees and neck are absolutely KILLING me from walking/jogging so much, and even though the kids love being at the playground while we exercise, it's getting boring and time consuming. I think I am going to get a pair of skates and teach Elizabeth (finally) to use hers, and just basically try to ride bikes with the kids or get on the trampoline with them. I downloaded some 5 minute arm/ab/butt workouts to my phone and try to do some of those during those rare free moments.... But I think I can tell you are at the point I am and just tired and a little frustrated, and, well, tired (did I mention, TIRED?)! HEY! I think we need to haul it south to some blue water and let the kids play while we just walk up and down the beach! What do you say!?!
  • Jdhenson
    Jdhenson Posts: 6
    Options
    BTW I really like what the lady in the post above mine had to say- those are all great ideas, esp. about making the big meals in advance so there is less cooking time!
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly the way I did...I work full time and have 4 kids and how on earth do people find the time?? But this year I decided that I needed time for ME!! To concentrate on having time to myself and feeling and looking better. So 2 nights a week I go to the gym (around 8 or 9) and my husband puts the kids to bed. And I'll go on saturday or sunday for an hour while my hubby "watches" the kids. And I feel great!! Yes, the kids whine a little when they see me put my gym sneakers on and I feel a tiny twinge of guilt, but you know what..after you walk out that door and enter the gym , everyone is over it!! You need that time to yourself and your family needs to see that. My husband is very supportive of what I am trying to do both physically and mentally and that helps alot. Explain to your husband how you feel and let him now that he has to start helping so you can get to where you need to go. Trust me, you will be a happier mommy and wife when you do it!
    Feel free to friend me so we can encourage and share with each other.
    ~Donna
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Second, is there some way your husband can help with the housework and cooking?

This was my first thought. I exercise while my husband bathes and puts the kiddo to bed. We have "our" time after.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am in much the same situation.
    I work 10ish + hours/ day and am on call 15ish days a month.
    I have a second job which takes an additional 12 hours a week.
    I have five kids and hubby to spend time with plus a household to maintain.

We got a membership at the local Y and the kids can be signed into programs or the day care so both hubby and I can work out.
    OR ... we all go for walks as a family with the dog, or something else we can do as a family.
    Some days we trade, I watch the kids while he goes to the gym, or he watches kids so I can.
    We make sure to schedule some alone time for the two of us as well, its really a juggling act, but its important so we do it.