Anyone heard of The 17 Day Diet?

stephnsuarez
stephnsuarez Posts: 68 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I saw it on Dr. Phil yesterday and just wanted to know if anyone had heard of it and/or tried it?

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    it was on "the drs" today. basically from what i saw its just eating healthy my wife said its what she did when she lost a bunch of weight
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I also saw it on Dr. Phil. Never heard of it before and really didn't hear anything that wasn't common sense. Also, the fact that you can only buy the book at the author's website is suspect. It's not good enough to be sold at bookstores and Amazon? I came away with the impression of it being a fad, crash diet.
  • 17 day diet, just another way to fool consumers of media content on television. Sure, tell them they only have to diet for 17 days. Let me see how that works out for their weight and health.
  • it does actually work and its not "just" 17 days. It is 4 cycles of 17 days each, and then you follow the 4th cycle forever...which is healthy eating but not something terribly hard to follow. And btw, it IS sold in bookstores, seen it!
  • I did download it on my Kindle once it was available and I have to say it is a fairly decent eating plan. The part of it that I like is the way he explains the science of how our bodies metabolize foods and the process of fat cells.

It is 3 cycles. The first 17 day cycle is basically a detox of carbs. There is no breads, rice, nothing. Not even whole grain or brown rice. He really focuses on increasing lean protein and lower carb veggies. He suggests that you have two servings of fruits per day but to have them in the morning so that your body will burn those "sugars" off naturally.

I did try to start it but I went into serious carb withdrawl and attacked a bag of potato chips. :frown: So while I am incorperating some of his nutrition suggestions with my daily eating plan I am not really doing it to the letter. I do hope that after I get into a good grove that I will start the cycles because I have read good things about it. The basic premise is to eat natural, good for you foods while weaning processed foods in the process. He also stresses green tea. Three servings a day! Of course he emphasizes water consumption.

I am not a fan of the word diet because I myself have been on a million diets. For me my main goal is to incorporate healthy eating and living in my home for all of us. I am one of those body types that not only do I need to watch my calories I need to exercise to stay at a healthy weight. It has only taken me my entire adult life to realize this and after reading this book I understand some of the reasoning behind this.

So bottom line, yes there is some good advice and if someone is 10-15 lbs overweight and needs to lose weight for whatever reason in a short period of time...I feel this is a healthy way of doing it. I also feel that if you can deal with the carb withdrawl it is also a good kickstart to a new, healthier lifestyle.
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    it does actually work and its not "just" 17 days. It is 4 cycles of 17 days each, and then you follow the 4th cycle forever...which is healthy eating but not something terribly hard to follow. And btw, it IS sold in bookstores, seen it!

Agreed.
    I've been on it since Jan. 3 of this year.
    As you can see by my ticker...I've lost 18 pounds so far.
    I've had struggles for sure...we all love our carbs....but my health is more important...than that pasta salad.
    And...anybody...can do anything....for 17 days....
  • I downloaded it on my nook color and it is just basically eating healthy and getting your body used to and craving healthy food, not processed or carb loaded food, you can eat a reqular diet and have a cupcake if you want to at the end in cycle 4. i have combined some of the basic principles of the book and watched my calorie intake per this website for about 2 weeks now and i have lost 8 lbs. just makes me realize how truly horrible processed food is for you.
This discussion has been closed.