Whats a good way to gain weight?

Options
HELP!!!!! I want to try to gain about 5 pounds a month if not more. Any tips? I eat like a pig and nothing works!!!

Replies

• Jenn2891
    Options
    HELP!!!!! I want to try to gain about 5 pounds a month if not more. Any tips? I eat like a pig and nothing works!!!
  • bellmom627
    Options
    bulk with weights. Eat lots of carbs and do lots of strength training.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    well this has got to be a first for this site.
    Eat a lot of protein loaded food.
    Not all at once, but in moderation.
    Involve red meats, like steaks and beef.
    Try dark meat from chicken and turkey.
    I think you are trying to gain bulk, but not "fat".
    So something you can do is weight train.
    Hit the gym or get a bowflex or do strenuous activities.
    The more muscle you have, the more you will weigh, and it looks healthier.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Another good food for bulk is eating lots of beans, not wax or string, even though they are healthy for you.
    But black, white, lima...... those kind of beans.
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

This is a first :)......Now here is something I know about :smile: lol.......I would suggest working out with weights and gaining muscle mass (this will also help you ward off osteoporosis etc), mabey up calories/larger portions but make them quality calories like lean meats/fish/poultry.....whole grain rice, beans,pasta.......and veggies (your lucky you can eat ones that people like me have to limit like corn, potatoes, yams etc)...............don't do it the way i did it by sitting on my butt eating junk food :) lol....

Can I ask why you want to gain weight? how underweight are you? if like you mentioned you already eat alot then mabey you are just one of those people who metabolise food quickly....but if nothing else weights should help......good luck :)....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Go to the Most SInful Concoction thread and eat away
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, which comes from my old Nutrition teacher...who's job was to bulk up the college football team in HEALTHY ways.....

Nutrient dense foods.
    Dried ruits, nuts (watch serving sizes on those two), complex carbs, lean meats, protein enhanced smoothies....
    Healthy foods that give high calories for a small amount.

You can bulk up on junk food, but the results won't be the same as if you are eating healthy, whole foods.

You are in a unique but not uncommon situation.
    Make sure you set you MFP to gain weight, not lose as well.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Weight training and eating protien to build muscle. Try adding protien shakes with your meals and mixing in some peanut butter and a banana with them when you blend them up.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Could be that you're hyper-thyroid. :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Maybe you better define "eat like a pig". If you're packing away a ton of calories everyday and not gaining any weight than you're probably blessed with an overactive metabolism. My BF's husband is like that. He could literally eat high fat, high calorie foods from the minute he got up in the morning until he went to bed at night and was as lean as a rail. And, it's not changed as he's gotten older.

If that's the case, I'm not sure what you can do other than consult a doctor or at least a nutritionist.

But, if you're definition of eating like a pig is putting away 1600 calories a day, then gaining weight should be no more difficult than adding in some calorie dense foods and doing some weight training. I doubt that you want to do too much cardio....just enough to keep your heart healthy but not enough to burn up the extra calories that you eat.