brown bagger

Options
lala221
lala221 Posts: 10 Member
i admitt it i brown bag for lunch, saves me some cash as well as all those calories from the dozens of fast food places by my work. but im getting pretty sick of turkey sandwhiches for lunch i need something new. anyone got any ideas? and please no tuna or mayo talk here, the thought seriously makes me wanna gag for - i cant eat it and trust me i've tried!

Replies

• DreaMartinez
    Options
    I mostly take leftovers or cereal for lunch, or the occasional frozen dinner. Nothing too exciting, but it is easier than hitting a local fast food joint.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I usually make a little extra for dinner and take leftovers. Or make a salad the night before and bring that. I also keep some lean cuisine-type meals and cans of soup on hand for those days when I forget/don't get around to making anything.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Whenever I make soups or casseroles, I freeze left overs in containers with measured out servings. This way you don't have to eat it the next day necessarily and you aren't getting bored. I also make up rice and meat with veggies and freeze it individual servings and make different stir fries, lots of variety you can do there! Salads and soups are my faves though.
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    I bring my own lunch too. One of my new favorites is a California Wrap. Take a Whole Wheat (Soft Taco Size) Wrap, spread a tablepoon of hummus around on it, put on some pieces of precooked roasted chicken, topped it with some red-roasted peppers, reduced fat feta cheese and a little sliced up fresh basil leaves.... and roll it up.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/California-Chicken-Wraps

Yum!
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Lean Pockets are delicious and filling. I usually just drink water all day long...and make sure to pack a lite snack for about an hour later though, perhaps an apple ^_^
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Love making wraps as well. Leftover chicken, some mozzarella cheese and fat free ranch for dipping. I warm the wrap until the cheese melts. it is SO good. You can add veggies if you like. i usually each some carrot sticks or something on the side. Get creative because I know brown bagging it can certainly get boring. Even just a new type of chip or bread can help keep things interesting.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Today I have :

Quinoa with vegetables (cold)
    Turkey chili with red beans (hot)
    An apple
    A peach
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Stash a box of Boca burgers and 'thin' buns in the freezer if you can.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have access to a fridge at work, so I have a big bin of spinach, a red onion, blue cheese crumbles and an apple to chop into the salad. I've also got a bag of carrots and some hummus for a snack. I also reheat leftovers regularly. I'm also a huge fan of instant oatmeal on rainy, cold days....or days when the teenagers are particularly restless...
  • Chula0910
    Chula0910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I bring my own lunch in as well. You may want to pick up some steamer bags from your local supermarket. I bring in some chicken breast season it with Mrs Dash and throw it in the bag and that cookes in less than 5 minutes and comes out hot and juicy. I also bring in a bag of steamed veggies and throw that in the microwave as well. It is such a satisfying meal and there are so many things you can cook in those steamer bags that you are only limited by you imagination. i hope this helped.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like a cold pasta salad - 50g (dry weight) pasta shapes, + 10-25g of a strong flavoured cheese substitute, chopped, + a cup of baby spinach leaves. If the cheese is strongly flavoured, you don't need as much.

I also tried this the other day; http://vegan20eleven.blogspot.com/2011/03/red-salad-with-dressing.html
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    oh, and google 'bento' - those things can get really creative!
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Do you like veggies? I had a flatout wrap with veggies(lettuce, tomato, onion, red pepper, cucumber, pickles, + black olives) added some vinegar and oregano and was def. stuffed. I had watermelon for dessert. It was about 215 calories for everything.

I did the turkey thing for awhile, I try to mix it up now with salads and wraps. The flatout wraps freeze well. I also try to mix up my bread with those arnolds thins and thomas thin everything bagels. Yummy for sandwhiches.
  • klross
    klross Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a whole wheat pita, add some hummus and sliced cucumber and sliced tomato. It's very filling and i love it.