Losing energy when running

Options
2»

Replies

• gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    You do not need to go low carb - but make sure that the carbs you eat are low GI carbs (you can google a list of them them) btw.

I reduced my carb settings on here and increased my protien but not massively. I think its something like 1g of protien per pound of body weight that is recommended but I would check that out with a forum search on here.

:smile:
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    and really good luck with the half marathon!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories or getting enough nutrition. You're not giving your body enough energy to run. You can feel this with your tiredness and feeling like you have to run harder to go the same pace. Eat more or rest more.

when you say im not getting enough nutrition, what do you suggest.

You might be right about the calories. Ive set it to lose 0.5lb a week, because when i set it to maintenance and upped my calories I started gaining weight really quickly. I dont seem to be losing or gaining at the moment, so i assumed my calorie intake was about right??
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    im really appreciating all the good advice, thankyou x
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Unless you are seriously restricting calories I don't think the low cal would make too much difference on a 40 min run. I take my hubby for a 5 mile run once a week. He is not on a diet. Sometimes he is fine, other times he is low on energy and struggling after a mile or two. The times he struggles are when he has eaten all his lunch early - on running day I give him extra sandwiches, he is meant to save one for late afternoon, if he does his run in the eve tends to be better!
    I would suggest that you look at
    A) timing of food before run
    B) quality of last meal/ snack before run
    C) refuelling properly after
    40 mins is not burning that many calories so don't go mad. I will tend to time my run so that I finish then it is meal time so I don't need to mess around with things to keep me going!

Yesterday I ran 51.5 miles, see my food diary for the days leading up to that, I am not saying my diet is ideal, infact far from. My point is that if I can run that distance on a less than optimal diet then you don't need to be too obsessed/ concerned for 4 miles. Having said that , the better the diet, the better your performance. I am working on improving mine, it has improved but I have a long way to go still
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    Thankyou x
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    its interesting that two people have said ive got a terrible diet, yet wouldnt give anything more constructive than that, even going so far as to say its lousy and basically low calories and nothing more, which just isnt true. Its not the best diet in the world, but surely its not that bad? I have all my food groups covered. Fairly low fat, high protein, low sodium, medium carbs. Slightly low cal, but this is a weight loss site.

Im happy to receive CONSTRUCTIVE criticism
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    OK: I am looking at Fridays diary for you. Its hard to go back and forth and remember it all so bear with me.
    You only ate about 1300 cals that day and you ran (so neg 400 plus cals) ..At least 300 or so were "junk" calories..(chocolate..treats etc). SO you really only ate about 1000 calories of food..Then you have to subtract some of the condiments and milk and your even less with FOOD..Your breakfast was decent that day..Its hard b.c I am American and dont really know those foods but I am guessing some toast, jam and oatmeal with milk..thats GREAT especially before a run. Adding a bit of fruit and a protein would be awesome..Like spread some peanut butter on the toast or banana or mix it into your oatmeal would be good..Your sugar has to be high! I would not worry about getting more sugar into your diet!
    Lunch was decent but again probably not enough in calories since your snacks arent the best.. Dinner..not that bad..i guess but you should have had something with it..Maybe a salad or soup. Throw some veggies into the bake..
    I see few vegetables and fruits in your day.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    thanks!

Im gonna try and get more fruit and veg in. I do like it.
    My downfall is late afternoon, as i naturally want to eat then, but dont eat a proper dinner till quite late, so i need to find healthier snacks to keep me going. Ive upped my protein goal just now, to spur me to eat more of that.
    Its hard though, cos i really dont want to gain weight, but i want to have the energy to run. Some stuff mentioned is so high calorie like peanut butter. If i start gaining weight, i start doing stupid stuff. Its not really an option.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try getting more protein for muscle-building. More fuel for your muscles means running stronger. Chicken, fish, and lean red meat are great sources. Also try eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. You might be interested in a "clean eating," (google-search it), which basically means eating less processed foods.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If i start gaining weight, i start doing stupid stuff. Its not really an option.
    I have an idea of how you feel - you saw me struggling, but I managed to hang on when I adjusted my intake upwards, and it took three weeks before my weight stopped going up and started to come down. Fortunately I manage to divert my "stupid stuff" instincts into non-harmful things, like buying a KiFit/BodyBugg, and having a VO2 test at a private gym. Had the gain gone on for more than a month though... I'd probably be back to having hypoglycemic episodes at the gym.

No Idea what to advise though, except ditch the cereal bars.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    are they really that bad? theyre only 60 cals and have 5g of fibre. I thought they werent a bad choice when i had a chocolate craving?
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    right, appreciate all the comments guys. Think my plan is to up the protein, try and up get a bit more vegetables and fruit in, and time my food before runs right, and maybe take a carbohydrate drink instead of water with me. I already make sure i replenish after a run, just need to make sure ive got some energy before i go and during, otherwise im never gonna manage to increase my distances

The clean eating thing sounds all very well, but i dont really have time for it and im pretty sure i wouldnt be able to make that change long term, and not convinced the benefits would be worth the inconvenience in my circumstances, although kudos to all you that do it. I already pay a lot more attention to my diet than pretty much everyone i know lol
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Couple things from your food diary. The Volume of coffee your drinking combined with an increase in activity decrease in calories without adequate h2o can certainly all precipitate what your describing. Its hard to run past a mile or two without having some easy to access energy for your body to use. If those things as they get addressed and don't help seek some professional help. A physician or nutritionist to help you figure it out.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    thats just a normal amount of coffee for me. Im not sure it part of the problem, because i always drink that amount, but its only the last two runs ive suffered the energy crash and the feeling faint.
    Im going to go back to not logging drinks, so as not to startle others ;)
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    are they really that bad? theyre only 60 cals and have 5g of fibre. I thought they werent a bad choice when i had a chocolate craving?
    hmmm, as a substitute for high street chocolate, they're probably not a bad choice. I'd suggest having a small piece of 90% chocolate instead - which adresses the craving itself, but only if it works - eating a whole bar of 90% is just as bad as the same amount of galaxy or dairy milk.

But my answer to snacking is babycorn - handy little fingers of crunchy yum.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i dont really enjoy 90% chocolate. The darkest i can handle is green and blacks milk chocolate, but one square of that just makes me want MORE
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you're tiring out that quickly, it "probably" means you're burning through your glycogen stores and need to replenish in the form of carbs. Runblogger has a pretty good podcast explaining the different fuels you burn when running at different heart rates.

Ditto this,long distance running/endurance jogging = higher carb intake
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Where did this thread reappear from?