NOT so complimentary compliments?

Options
nickyb632
nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
Has anyone given you a "compliment" since you've started losing weight, or just in general, that you're like ummm what? After I lost like 30-35 lbs one of my customers said "oh wow, you've lost weight, *pause* you looked cuter pudgy" ummm what?? And recently people like to tell me I look like Snookie, in my book thats a put down, nothing against her, but that's not really something thats a confidence lifter. IDK.

Anyone else deal w/ this crazy bs?

Replies

• ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    No, but I had a good friend of mine lambast me on FB because of this picture. It was really meant to be a joke and in good humor. He went on and on about "Oh look how he's posing in a certain way and all!". It pissed me off pretty bad, to be honest.

Sometimes you just gotta take the high road and remember:

HATERS GONNA HATE!

Plus, you don't look anything like Snookie!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    My dad told me I looked great. My mom told me I had "less of a muffin top", which sounded to me like she was just saying I was "less fat" rather than saying I looked good.

People are weird. Don't let it get to you.
  • nickyb632
    Options
    No, but I had a good friend of mine lambast me on FB because of this picture. It was really meant to be a joke and in good humor. He went on and on about "Oh look how he's posing in a certain way and all!". It pissed me off pretty bad, to be honest.

HATERS GONNA HATE!

oh FB haters are the best! hah!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    When looking at old pictures, I often get... "wow Jennifer, you were so HUGE back then!! LOOK at you!". Lol. But it makes me laugh rather than be insulted because I'm not that girl anymore! I've come a long way, and I'm still going! :laugh:

And Zach, your picture really makes me laugh!! I don't think I've ever worn an apron in my life, and I cook a fair bit. I love the pattern you have happening on it too! Lovely! :bigsmile:
  • nickyb632
    Options
    My dad told me I looked great. My mom told me I had "less of a muffin top", which sounded to me like she was just saying I was "less fat" rather than saying I looked good.

People are weird. Don't let it get to you.

thats so crazy, misery sure does love company!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options

HATERS GONNA HATE!

I agree you look nothing like Snookie, and yes that is not a nice compliment...

Dude, your "friend" is just jealous..that pic is smokin! Own it, bro!
  • iamnox
    iamnox Posts: 39
    Options
    OMG you do not look like snooky and I understand why you would be offended. Not to put her down and all but I get it.. You look great go with it. I agree with ZachyABaby ignore them pay attention to the positive people out there.

Don't read into the compliment just edit it to make it work for you. To many people these days take compliments as Oh he is hitting on me or she is hitting on me (no self esteem issues there LOL) or they hear the bad things.. Push them out and if they are hitting on you enjoy it.

ZachyABaby that is a funny pic i think.. posing or not oh well
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    No body has said anything. Nothing. not one word.

My mother has said NOTHING and she was always the one with the fat comments.

Oh well. My husband says plenty ;)
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You don't look like Snookie in the slightest.

I have gotten one good compliment since I've lost.

Then I got someone that said: Yeah you've lost weight, congrats, but your still really really fat. Geee thanks...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Has anyone given you a "compliment" since you've started losing weight, or just in general, that you're like ummm what? After I lost like 30-35 lbs one of my customers said "oh wow, you've lost weight, *pause* you looked cuter pudgy" ummm what?? And recently people like to tell me I look like Snookie, in my book thats a put down, nothing against her, but that's not really something thats a confidence lifter. IDK.

Anyone else deal w/ this crazy bs?

You don't look ANYTHING like Snooky! Just had to say that! :)
  • nickyb632
    Options
    You don't look like Snookie in the slightest.

I have gotten one good compliment since I've lost.

Then I got someone that said: Yeah you've lost weight, congrats, but your still really really fat. Geee thanks...

damn bringin ya up to kick ya back down
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So far I've only gotten things along the lines of "I didn't realize you were that big" when looking at pictures and such...
  • nickyb632
    Options
    oh people, gotta luv 'em i guess.

ps thnx for saying i dont look like snookie, i was getting annoyed w/ that one!
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    i'm glad you people get the joke. i think most of the people (like that friend of mine) who make ignorant *kitten* statements like that feel bad about themselves and are jealous. it's snuffing out other people's flames in hopes theirs will burn brighter.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I love this picture!!! I like a guy with a sense of humor! People often reflect their own shortcomings or sense of guilt when they deliver a back handed compliment. Grain of salt over the shoulder.
  • Shultz7766
    Options
    Recently had a co worker congratulate me on my 70 lb weight loss,then turns around and says "of course when your that big its easy to drop big numbers.All i could say was thanks lol. im new so i dont know how some pple put their numbers on here but here goes. SW= 363 CW=290 GW 220
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Some people get a real charge from taking the wind out of the sails of others. They won't change. It's sad, but true.
  • frugal2
    frugal2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I try to think about the person intent and if it was not meant to be harmful I try not to take it that way. I've had people say funny things to me.

One guy I dated told me that I had "great fat distribution". Some other guy I met at the gym started chatting me up about fitness asking me how much I work out, then asked if i'm still trying to lose weight (because i told him i've been trying to lose weight...) and then said, "yeah, another 10lbs and you'd be (wink, thumbs up)" LOL!!! And that conversation happened while sitting in the steam room. IDK. hope you enjoyed my stories, at least.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i'm glad you people get the joke. i think most of the people (like that friend of mine) who make ignorant *kitten* statements like that feel bad about themselves and are jealous. it's snuffing out other people's flames in hopes theirs will burn brighter.

My husbands cousin refers to people like that as lobsters because he says when you take a lobster out of the tank, the other ones will grab on and try to pull them down. He says people like that are the same way. When you try to make yourself better they try to grab on and pull you back down to their level.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

One guy I dated told me that I had "great fat distribution".

*face palm* I think if someone had told me that I may have busted out laughing from the absurdity .... lol oh my god, what do you say to that? Thanks?