Feel Guilty After a Bad Meal

Options
MikeInAZ
MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
Something weird happened. Yesterday, I had a great bike ride and burned almost 1000 calories. I ate light all day so we could go out for dinner. I went to a Mexican place. I ate a meal like I would have before changing my eating habits. I had chips and salsa, had a chili releno and beans and rice. I ate almost all of it. I would estimate I had about 1500-1800 calories. This is fine since I had 1600 to spare going into dinner.

Anyway, I was feeling pretty guilty later on. Like I shouldn't have eating that, like I could have made better choices, even going out to eat. To top it off I weighed myself this morning and I had gained a little bit. It was almost like that bike ride was counter productive.

Well, I got over it quickly. I ate good today and got some exercise in. But still, it was really weird. This hasn't happened to me before. I've never felt bad for "cheating".

Any one ever have this happen to you? What do you do to get over it?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies

• FordEXP
    FordEXP Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm right there with you, after making healthy choices all week. I feel guilty when having a cheat meal. I guess when your programming yourself to eat healthy your body/sub conscience gets on board with you after awhile. *shrug*
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I KNOW I'm only human, and that this wont be the last time it happens, (for me it was fries last nite), but this morning I went on the treadmill for 20 min on my "off" day for the gym, and got right back on track.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For one, remember even within your cals a big meal, esp takeout is going to make you gain- just in sodium and from the fact that it takes your body longer to process that kind of stuff- it slows everything down, if you know what i mean. Don't weigh after that kind of meal- just not a good idea.

And I generally refuse to allow myself to wallow in guilt- it has no place on this journey! But sometimes, you just have to feel what you feel. Sounds like you bounced back from it alright!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Happened to me yesterday - although I had guilt over too much sodium - I'm watching my sodium because of High Blood Pressure.
    I know that I have to read the labels on everything, but yesterday I didn't do that and I went way over my allowance - just made me so angry for not paying better attention.

But I realized we're not perfect and once in awhile we mess up. The best thing is to just get it off your chest, vent, whatever????
    And vow to do better the next time a tempting situation comes your way.

((HUGS))

~~Prairie Rose
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just means your brain is also seeing the positive changes your body is making! I have a "bad" day about once a week, but figure I'm ok if I do well the other 6 days (or I just exercise a lot more!) Good luck!
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Ya know what? We all make mistakes. Most of us feel guilt when we mess up. It's great that you are recognizing the bad choice.

Before you started thinking about your health would you have given this meal a 2nd thought? Or, would you have eaten it and thought "Wow, I ate a lot" then move on content with your day?

I'd say you are having some awesome success and congratulate you for knowing the difference.

Great job! Do better next time :)

-Rain
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have no control over what my mom makes for Sunday dinners at her house, so I was quite alarmed when she brought out 2 digorno pizzas for lunch today. It was way more in calories than I wanted to eat today too, because Sunday's are usually my really light eating days.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have no control over what my mom makes for Sunday dinners at her house, so I was quite alarmed when she brought out 2 digorno pizzas for lunch today. It was way more in calories than I wanted to eat today too, because Sunday's are usually my really light eating days.

I would say it's time to have a heart to heart with dear ole Mom and tell her what you can and can't eat. Maybe even tell her what you want to eat when you come over. Or show up with your own meal.

My mother in law was making hot dogs for dinner. I simply said to her "you won't be insulted if I bring something for myself to eat?" She said certainly not. I brought some chicken and veggies, no one cared, and I ate good.

- Mike
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to regret and learn; it's another thing to feel guilty. Last night I ate almost two days worth of calories... far and away the worst nutritional day (meal) of the year. I don't personally subscribe to cheat days or reward days (with food), but I'm trying to adopt the idea that once in a while we will go out to eat, or go to birthday parties or other events and I'm going to live life - which includes exercising several times per week and eating for nutrition 95% of the time.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think that one day of eating something special every once in a while is a good thing. For me it keeps me going the next week. I have mexican every Friday, and it is my off day for exercise to boot. But I know that if I go over I can make up for it the next day with an extra long work out.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I certainly have "cheat" meals too but you should not have to feel guilty. If you do feel guilty you can actually start to develop an unhealthy relationship with foods. You shouldn't have to feel guilty about eating foods you know you used to or still should enjoy. You can also learn that you no longer like these things and that could be a cause. I used to feel that way whenever I would eat something "bad" and it turned into a very unhealthy relationship with foods I love. I now love foods even that are "bad" for me.