New and looking for a healthy breakfast idea

Options
Hi there, I just joined this site this morning, hoping to loose 40pounds by the end of this year. To get me off to a good start, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a healthy/balanced breakfast? My profile and diary are public, so you can see that my total calories per day is 1540. I also would like to ensure that my fat and carbohydrate intake stays within my daily limit. All ideas are welcome.

Replies

• Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I make bircher muesli {I love it} with 1/2 c of wholegrain rolled oats, 1/4 c apple juice {unsweetened}, 1/2 c yoghurt {whatever you want to use} and a wee packet of raisins or any other fruit {ie stewed fruit} you want even just grated apple is great.

It makes one serving and you have to make it the night before and stick it in the fridge. It's not everyones cup of tea but it tick all the boxes and depending on what cals your yoghurt and apple juice has it's well under 400cals for brekky.

Enjoy {if you try it} and welcome along!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I don't do low-carb but I'm doing pretty well, my diary is also open. I like Dorset Muesli, avail at Whole Foods. 1/4 cup fills you up. I put in about .5 cups of non-fat milk in it.

There's also a bunch of Low Fat or Light recipe books out there, you could freeze them then microwave them when you need them. I'm a big fan of make ahead foods, freezing things then eating when you want in portion sizes.
  • verilla
    verilla Posts: 13
    Options
    If you aren't used to eating breakfast regularly, it is best to keep it simple, routine, especially if you are short on time. Steel cut oats and a piece of fruit. 2 scrambled eggs and a hearty multigrain bread toast. Cottage cheese and a handful of All bran cereal. The same thing all week is okay, truly. I find that I last the longest, feeling content and full, when I have a good portion of protein for breakfast. Sometimes that is just in the form of whey protein powder mixed in a glass of water - simple, not very tasty, but totally does the trick in a pinch. It can be a "full meal" without excess carbs and calories. Sometimes it is a chunk of chicken breast from dinner the night before! Also, a great breakfast meal is soup. A non-creamy, broth and vegetable soup with a couple of crackers heated up in the microwave - fast, filling. Who says it always has to be breakfast food! Good Luck to you.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    That would depend on what you normally have for breakfast, but my breakfast usually consists an omelette of 3 - 4 actual egg whites or 2 servings of egg substitute [egg substitute like Egg Beaters has 2x the amount of calories per egg white], with a slice of cheese [at the moment I'm using Jarlsberg reduced fat swiss], a serving of a lean meat such as turkey or ham [I don't have any turkey or canadian bacon, so I grill it on a pan and have a makeshift type of bacon], all constructed together at the end and seasoned with no-salt seasonings, and topped with hot sauce. Additionally, I may add sliced baby bella mushrooms and some bell peppers, if I'm feeling creative and have enough time before work.

Then have it with a whole wheat sandwich thin, a bagel thin, or 2 slices of double fiber bread [either plain, with 1/4 of a serving of peanut butter, or 1/2 serving of cream cheese]. Then have a cup of black coffee with 1 packet of Splenda and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.

In lieu of bread, I may substitute it with a serving of steel cut oatmeal with some berries, 2 packets of Splenda, sprinkled with cinnamon.

It usually comes out to around 300 - 400 calories, depending on the ingredients.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have 3 different breakfasts that i usually do depending on what i am feeling like.

first, and my most common is a fruit smoothie.
    -1 cup of some kind of liquid :i tend to use vanilla almond milk, but real milk, soy milk, or even juice would work
    -2/3 to 1 cup of some kind of frozen fruit : wild blueberries are one of my favs
    -1/2 to 1 cup of frozen spinach
    -1/2 cup of vanilla yogourt
    -1/2 tsp cinnamon
    -for an extra bit of goodness, 1 tsp matcha green tea powder.
    i have a magic bullet blender (the amounts of the spinach tends to change depending on which size cup i have clean for the blender :P). whirl it all up and yum! i sometimes add a piece of toast on the side to give me extra fiber with my meal.

second, is pretty common. oatmeal, and depending on how much time i have, i will use the instant packets or go all out and make a batch of steel cut oats. top with a little bit of yogourt and maybe some fruit.

and, when i want something a little richer tasting. 2 eggs, fried (without oil in a non-stick pan), maybe 2 pieces of turkey bacon, and depending on what else is planned for food later 1 or 2 pieces of toast, or a thin bagel. and to round it out, i will add a small mandarin orange.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry. lol.
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I enjoy making yogurt parfaits i take them to work so in 2 cup gladware i put about an inch of frozen blue berry's unsweetened then i layer whatever yogurt i happen to be using, I perfer to use fat free greek yogurt and i dont mind using one that is sugar sweetened then top that with lowfat granola. It is a very good meal that has impressive staying power. And even with full sugar yogurt its easy to keep it under 300 Calories.
  • HeidiM78
    HeidiM78 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have instant oats with cinnamon and a tsp honey.
    You could also make a fruit smoothie
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try adding a scoop of natural or vanilla whey or soy protein powder to your milk with museli, or your oatmeal. It ups your protein which helps you lose weight, and keeps you from being hungry until lunch. It's fantastic.

Eggs, scrambled or omlette, with grilled mushrooms, peppers and tomatos is also good. Ups your fruit/veg count immensely too. Adds fiber without too much carbs, and loads of protein in the eggs.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it quick and simple. I do Quaker Weight Control Instant Oatmeal made with water and cut up a medium banana in it with a cup of Fat Free Milk. A second thing I like is a good cereal like Kellogs Multigrain Cereal with the banana. If I want something different I make a egg scramble. That's 3-4 egg whites with fat free shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes, turkey, and a veggie like corn or carrots. YUM!