Working out more than once a day

Options
I know that all exercise is good, but is it better to do it all at once, or can you do it twice a day? I already did a 30 minute video for today but I kind of want to do some yoga later, maybe after lunch. Should I do it all at once, when my heart rate is already up? Or is it okay to do it in two separate times?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Of course it's ok to split it up. Even if you only exercised 5 minutes at a time, multiple times throughout the day, you'd see benefits. Do what works for you.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would try different approaches and see what works for you.
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    I know that all exercise is good, but is it better to do it all at once, or can you do it twice a day? I already did a 30 minute video for today but I kind of want to do some yoga later, maybe after lunch. Should I do it all at once, when my heart rate is already up? Or is it okay to do it in two separate times?

The only time it's not a good idea is if you are ill, or if you are doing the same type of training both times - for examples lots of squats in the morning and lots in the evening, if you run in the morning and strength train in the evening, or swim in the morning dance in the evening etc then its all good.

just make sure any muscles in need of rest get that rest :)
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    You can work out as much as you want. It's ok to do something in the AM and then something later. :)
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine to break it up into 2 sessions. I workout twice a day 6 days a week, before and after work. I think it depends on you, your schedule and how you feel. Go for it.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    for me--if I can break it up, I do--I find I give more to each workout (especially the second one) with some time (and a meal) between them. I'm not an expert, but I have read that it doesn't matter if you break up your workout (in Prevention and Shape magazines). Actually, thinking about it, exercise increases your burn even after your heart rate is back to normal, so it would make sense that by breaking it up, you're increasing the length of time that you're keeping your body revved up. If anyone knows different, please correct me!!
  • davd422
    davd422 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Be active every day. Split it up or do it all at once does not matter as long as you are active in some capacity every day.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've heard that as long as you can get in a bit of time at each workout, doing it twice a day will actually help you burn MORE calories because your heartrate/metabolism gets kicked up twice during the day....
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I work out 3 times a day: After breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Each time I try to burn off the calories I just ate.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I think it's fine to split the workouts up. Your body would have had plenty of time to recover from your morning workout and you'd be able to do your best in yur evening workout. If you do it all at once, you might get to fatigued and not get the most benefits out of it.

I have a book by Wendie Pett called "Every Woman's Guide to Personal Power" and in it she actually recommends doing little bits of workout throughout the day.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i split mine up:smile:
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    I split mine up too! Hasn't harmed me yet! :wink:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Be active every day. Split it up or do it all at once does not matter as long as you are active in some capacity every day.

+1!
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you! As long as you're being active and not working out to excess there is no harm is splitting it up or doing more than one activity in a day! =):flowerforyou:
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's definitely fine to split it up. research has shown that even if you break up a 30-min exercise session into 3 separate 10-minute routines throughout the day, the effect is the same. rather impressive, because who would think a 10-min workout could get anything done? splitting it up will also make exercise more palatable - 10-15 min here and there.

i normally work out once a day, but now that i'm on a business trip and staying at a hotel with a pool, i've been doing cardio/weight training in the morning, and going swimming in the evening. i've found this to be a very nice routine, and i look forward to each workout because they each condition the body differently -- and this is far better than spending 2 hours at the gym continuously!

as long as you workout at a time and frequency that best accomodates your schedule and that will keep you motivated, you'll do great! :)
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    we were just talking about this the other day... i was told it is actually beneficial to work out twice a day..BUT...THAT IT IS NECESSARY TO GET YOUR HEART RATE UP FOR 20 MINUTES AT A TIME TO LOSE...but anything is good..... everything helps you tone!..............good luck!!!
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    awesome question!! i was wondering the same thing!!
  • bethyfoofoo
    Options
    I work out 2 times a day 3 times a week. I like to attend certain classes at the gym, but also stick to my cardio/weight training routine in the morning. If you feel alright, then go for it.
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    I work out 2 times a day 3 times a week. I like to attend certain classes at the gym, but also stick to my cardio/weight training routine in the morning. If you feel alright, then go for it.

Bethyfoofoo! That's a name I can respect! haha
    Do you know what foo refers to over here? :laugh: