too much protein?

Options
i always go over my protein intake by about 26. is this bad? watt will it do to my goal?

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The protein percentage on myfitnesspal is very low.

I changed mine to 90 grams of protein for 1200 calories.
  • dgrimes14
    Options
    You are good. The protien goals for mfp are at least 25% below what I've seen on other sites.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    LOL trust me, you are not having too much protein. Only going over your caloriees and over your macros at the same time (and bad macros such as sat fat and simple carbs specially) will make you start gaining bad weight.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein on here defaults to 15% of your daily calories which I consider low, I bumped mine to 30% as that gives me my 0.5 grams per pound of body weight I'm aiming for.
    It is disconcerting that protein is set so low on here, and its one of those things that goes RED when you go over so it looks like its a problem, but its not.

If you want to change click home... goals... change goals... custom set your percentages and have fun.
  • RiiNaCHiiCK09
    RiiNaCHiiCK09 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    alrighty! thanks every1!!
  • gurlysmiles2001
    Options
    i've been having the same problem with my protein so thanks for the tip! i love my protein shakes and didn't want to cut them out :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it wont do anything. as long as you dont go over on your calories.

but if you find yourself going over, lay off the meat. its high in cholestorol and fat. and isnt really healty for you.

unless you lift and are looking to build muscle...you should only be getting 40-60 grams of protein a day. any more than that doesnt do anything for your body, and can actually in time harm your body in the form of kidney problems and neurological. look it up
  • Wofette
    Wofette Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, looks like everyone has the same problem! Glad it won't make me put on weight however my husband reckons that too much will make me "grow" too much muscle. Is this true?