Alternative to bread??? Anyone?? :)

Options
I've cut out bread in my diet as I found I was eating ALOT of it everyday and have now gone 5 days straight with no bread! Extremely proud of myself but am missing it so much! But my body is craving it sooooo bad!! I love toast in the morning but have now changed to cereal or fruit but throughout the morning I would kill for a piece of toast! And the craving doesnt go away! I can feel that my body is really missing it!

I'm hoping that cutting it out will have a positive effect of my body and that the cravings will eventually subside but wondered if anyone had any alternatives for bread? Something similar but without the carbs etc? I tend to eat the multigrain, seeded types of bread so it's extremely filling so something silmilar would be great!

Replies

• Ballmom22
    Ballmom22 Posts: 27
    Options
    I am a bread lover as well. I started doing a low carb diet back in October and quickly lost 40lbs. Although I have added back many many :) carbs I have been able to maintain. I know this is so not the same but you can try Wasa crackers for some stuff, they are hard to get used to but once you do they really are not that bad. Also you can use those thin bread things like Arnolds, they are in the same section as the english muffins but they are thinner and only 100 calories, carbs are a little high but hey, if you want some bread it is a much better alternative then the "real" thing. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    "No Salt Added Bread"

I usually see it as a Stop and Shop brand. It taste like cardboard, but it's great if you can't live without bread. Regular bread is super high in sodium, and that is what probably made weight loss difficult.

If you are doing great without bread, just continue to do without it. Eventually you will get used to the sacrifice. I used to be the same way, but now I have been bread free, except for my mini croissant that says it contains no sodium. I had to give up the bread because I realized that I feel much better without it.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you'd do it...I love bread...I love carbs. I tried cutting it out in the past but like you, I was craving it so much and when I caved, I caved all the way...and then gain back all the weights. I don't think it's good to cut out food groups so I'd say give in to your cravings once in a wow but don't go overboard. Can you really not eat bread for the rest of your life? I know I can't...so I have 2 - 4 slices of wholemeal bread a week and I do feel much better with it because I'm not feeling deprived.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was curious about alternatives too and found this site with recipes. I can't wait to try them. I also scroll through the comments below the recipe, because others add more alternatives to the recipes. Hope this helps.
    http://thisprimallife.com/2010/08/a-primal-sandwich-solution/
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Ole - Extreme Wellness - Whole Wheat High Fiber Tortilla wraps.

I find them at Wal-Mart. I love them!! 70 calories with lots of fiber. They have carbs but my husband who is type 2 diabetes says that the fiber subs out the carbs (something his dietitian said) so they are great for him to eat. They are super filling too. I believe they come in other flavors. There is a tomato and basil one. I did not like that one as mush as the wheat ones.

If and when you do eat breads (which isn't THAT bad for you as long as its in complete moderation and smart options) stick to whole grain wheats. They have the complex carbs that keep you fuller longer. It is the refined carbs you have to watch out for, not necessarily all carbs are bad for you. Just keep that in mind :)
  • jsavy
    jsavy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don`t care about the carbs there is bread out there that is only 35 calories a slice ( at least in my area there are) and there is Pita bread and some vary in calories ( you can eat half and make a sandwich ) . I love bread too so I try to find some other ways to compensate.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I do flatbreads now. My favorite is artisans flatbread. We get whole wheat or multigrain. They are 100 calories for a sandwhich.
  • MeganAMartin
    Options
    I know that you said you are omitting the bread, however have you ever had the Village Hearth Lilght bread? There is wheat or 12 grain that I have paid attention to. Each slice is only 40 calories, 0.5g fat, 8g carbs, and 2g protein. I have tried to omit things in my diet as well. Usually after doing good at it for a while I tend to not be able to take it anymore and end up splurging on it in the long run. Then I get mad that I did it and beat myself up over it. I went to the dietician here last week (since I hit a pleateau and still wanna lose more. thats how I heard of this site) and she said that you are not supposed to omit anything. You are allowed to eat what you want just keep track of it.
    I think in your case maybe you should just find a healthy alternative bread or if you want to omit it gradually wean yourself. I would highly recommend trying this bread, i think you will love it. I eat it daily (they also make buns that are 80 cals)
    Im not sure what you prefer to eat on it but have you tried PB2 (its powdered peanut butter that you mix with water) not as rich as regular peanut butter but totally good. 2 tbsp is 45 cals, 1.5g fat, 5g carbs, 5g protein. versus like 190 cals in JIF i think?...Im also loving the sugar free jelly (great value brand even) 10 cals, 0g fat, 5g carbs, 0g protein.
    Sorry i kinda started rambling but I hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • missklio
    missklio Posts: 1
    Options
    I wasn't interested in cutting out bread completely either, so I looked for alternatives. My two favorites are:
    1. Nature's Own Sandwich Rounds http://www.naturesownbread.com
    They are 100 calories for one. I find them in the regular bread isle.

2. Flat Out breads http://www.flatoutbread.com
    A gigantic size (almost 10 inch in diameter) flat bread for 80-100 calories a piece. My grocery store has them away from the bread isle, near the deli section.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love bread!! have you tried the 100 calorie rolls ? thats what I eat...theres a latin toast called bimbo its taosted already theres double fiber kind, which is a plus!!..I use to eat something called Lavish lavash bread its thin has a lot of fiber but a lot of sodium too.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    It's been talked about on other topics recently, but I love Ezekiel 4:9 bread. 80 cals per slice, no flour, all sprouted whole grains. It's usually in the freezer section with other frozen organic food and can be quite expensive (about $5 per loaf). I don't eat too much bread either, but when I do, I eat Ezekiel bread. Hope you find what you're looking for!
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For all you bread lovers out there, check out the Ezekiel Breads by Food for Life. I get them in the frozen section of the organic/health food area in my grocery store. They are made from sprouted grains instead of flour which means really low glycemic index and lots of protein. My kids LOVE the cinnamon raisin version. We frequently eat that for breakfast with some eggs.
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's been talked about on other topics recently, but I love Ezekiel 4:9 bread. 80 cals per slice, no flour, all sprouted whole grains. It's usually in the freezer section with other frozen organic food and can be quite expensive (about $5 per loaf). I don't eat too much bread either, but when I do, I eat Ezekiel bread. Hope you find what you're looking for!

HAHA! Jinx!
  • gilltaitt
    gilltaitt Posts: 31
    Options
    wow, loads of great responses and ideas!

I've only been on here for a week and I really feel like this is what is going to help me beat this weight once and for all!! It's great to know that so many people are in the same place as you! :)

Thanks guys! Have a great day!

I'm looking forward to more posts and ideas!!!

G
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    There are lots of benefits that come from eating lots of whole grains and carbs. Why cut them out unless you are intolerant to a certain ingredient? You don't need to cut out bread in order to get healthy. The best kinds of bread to eat are ones that are low in sodium, sugar, refined ingredients, and high in fiber, whole grains, etc. This may seem obvious, but its okay to eat bread while trying to lose weight! If you're worried about finding a good brand at the grocery store, make your own. Then you have total control over the ingredients.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've cut out bread in my diet as I found I was eating ALOT of it everyday and have now gone 5 days straight with no bread! Extremely proud of myself but am missing it so much! But my body is craving it sooooo bad!! I love toast in the morning but have now changed to cereal or fruit but throughout the morning I would kill for a piece of toast! And the craving doesn't go away! I can feel that my body is really missing it!

I'm hoping that cutting it out will have a positive effect of my body and that the cravings will eventually subside but wondered if anyone had any alternatives for bread? Something similar but without the carbs etc? I tend to eat the multigrain, seeded types of bread so it's extremely filling so something similar would be great!

The multi-grain and seeded breads are good, just don't eat a loaf a day. :laugh: Maybe look at the rest of your diet and see what is in there that makes you crave carbs so much. I am not an advocate of the low-carb thing, I find balance is much better. I use Dave's Killer Bread (110 cal /big slice) which is organic and seeded bread, dense and filling. I find mine at Costco these days, it used to only be a Northwest bread, but with the Coscto deal they might be beyond the NW now. The cravings can come from having refined sugars in your diet somewhere, or maybe even artificial sweeteners.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Why don't you make your own bread? it's very very easy, and you can make it with spelt (gluten free flour), whole wheat, rye... water, yeast, a tiny bit of salt and... that's it!!

I do not like the packaged bread from the stores, and I missed the fresh bakery bread from Europe soooo much that I decided to make my own. I couldn't be happier.

Besides, the good thing about making your own, is that you can make little buns, if you make a batch of 12 or so, you can freeze them, then take one out every morning, and have your toast, (I usually slice it thinly in 3 long slices).

Everyone who tries it says that it is delicious, and so different and tasty from the store's!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I wasn't interested in cutting out bread completely either, so I looked for alternatives. My two favorites are:
    1. Nature's Own Sandwich Rounds http://www.naturesownbread.com
    They are 100 calories for one. I find them in the regular bread isle.

2. Flat Out breads http://www.flatoutbread.com
    A gigantic size (almost 10 inch in diameter) flat bread for 80-100 calories a piece. My grocery store has them away from the bread isle, near the deli section.

I eat the Nature's Own Sandwich Rounds. I'm glad its only 100 calories for two slices. I can make a sandwich. Also its only 180mg of sodium.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I started off having rye flour crisp breads to ease me out of the bread thing.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I use Rice cakes sometimes. I also wrap ALOT in lettuce. SOmetimes I will use corn tortillas (but they are high in calories and sugar).