Groggy early morning workouts

Options
Soooze
Soooze Posts: 122 Member
Good morning :)
I started waking up at 5am for P90X last Sunday and have kept it up for the week..now starting week 2.

My issue is, groggy-ness! I just get up, change into my workout clothes and go to the basement to start the program. I have no problem doing the weight programs but the cardio ones (plyo, kenpo, cardio...) I am groggy and try to get into the workout but I find it difficult to jump around so early!! Do you have any tips? Any type of quick drink I could have to instantly boost my energy?

I don't know if there's something wrong with my HRM but I don't burn a lot of calories.. mostly between 200-300cals per workout. But Tony Horton claims they are around 600cals... Would my early workout have anything to do with my low calory burn? What can I do to burn more? Would not eating before my workout affect the low calory burn?

Help :)

Replies

• xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you are eating some protein before you go to sleep at night. Cottage cheese is a good choice or some kind of nuts. This will give you something to keep you energized. Also there are a lot of supplements that are made for an energy kick for working out. I was taking Universal's Animal Pump and it worked well - but it's more for muscle building. You may want to look into something along those lines.

Also with those workouts it's all about intensity. The harder you push yourself through each of the exercises the better your burn will be.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    With the weight workouts I was burning between 200-400 (leg workouts I burned closer to 400). With the cardio it was between 300-400. So, your HRM is probably correct.

Try eating a "fast carb" before the workouts, like a banana or an orange. Then get a mix of protein and carbs after the workout, like a glass of chocolate milk.
  • ashleyb1031
    ashleyb1031 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    im the same way, i can get up and do the work out but i feel like i get a better work out when im more awake
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    600cals is the 'average' which takes into account the men doing the program. As men generally have more muscle mass, they burn more calories than women so don't fret about the calories, as long as you're still working hard. I'd only burn about 300 during a P90X cardio whereas my husband would burn 500.

Generally you burn more calories in the morning as your heart has to work faster. This doesn't apply to everyone but is a majority of people sort of thing. Your body peaks about 5-7pm which is when your heart has to work the least hardest, so you won't burn as many calories then according to HRMs. But as you've been sleeping for the last few hours, you're heart will work harder.

As far as grogginess, maybe sleep more? Or do some stretching in your bed before getting up. I work every morning at 5am and don't have a problem most mornings, unless I didn't get enough sleep. Try using a bit of self-psychology as well. If I feel groggy I tell myself it's all in my head and my body is fine. That pushes me a bit further and makes me work harder.
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I do workout .. and sweat quite a bit... but I don't feel like I had a workout like I normally do at lunchtime.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I set my coffee timer and enjoy a small cup before hitting 'play' :drinker:
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    I have tried the 5 hr engergy drink, that seems to be fine as well.